Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zoom and enhance! Desperate times call for desperate measures!  (Read 8611 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Could any image editing pros zoom and clarify this pic? I thiiiiiink the several cruiser sized ships might be new; they don't look like an Aurora or a Paragon! They almost look like an Eagle but they have the blue high tech engine flares and have an indentation at their front. And don't give me no bogus claims about resolution being too small either! Haha

Spoiler
[close]

Taken from Alex's twitter, btw.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
Re: Zoom and enhance! Desperate times call for desperate measures!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »

Could any image editing pros zoom and clarify this pic? I thiiiiiink the several cruiser sized ships might be new; they don't look like an Aurora or a Paragon! They almost look like an Eagle but they have the blue high tech engine flares and have an indentation at their front. And don't give me no bogus claims about resolution being too small either! Haha

Spoiler
[close]

Are these turquoise guys Tri-Tachyon fleets with a weird tint on them, a new faction, or just me being blind and also dumb?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

I wanna say that might be new. Persean League? TT has a different shade of blue...unless it was simply changed in Alex's dev build for whatever reason.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Are these turquoise guys Tri-Tachyon fleets with a weird tint on them, a new faction, or just me being blind and also dumb?
I think they are a new faction/ sub faction. Maybe the drones or maybe something else. It looks like there are a few fighter wings in those groups and I don't THINK I see an Astral in there. So maybe a new high tech carrier?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »

please for the love of god don't differentiate factions by slight shade differences unless you've exhausted the spectrum, am colorblind and no mi gusta ):
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »

Frigates with triangle-ish silhouette, boxy cruisers, and horizontally long DDs?  That's interesting...

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »

if the last blog post is to be believed, Persean League is gold. This is either new TT or a sub faction of TT
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »

We really need a thread dedicated to stuff from Alex's Twitter.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:41 PM »

Meh, I think it's fine. The board is slow enough that any sort of new topic is welcome, and surely once things pick up with the release of the patch we all won't be so starved to the degree that we make posts based on Twitter pics.

Hopefully we get them patch notes soon and Alex will list the new hulls!

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »

It's the empire. Now we need a rebellion.

xd
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »

@Dri
On that note, the spring equinox is today.....  ;)
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I think they are a new faction/ sub faction. Maybe the drones or maybe something else. It looks like there are a few fighter wings in those groups and I don't THINK I see an Astral in there. So maybe a new high tech carrier?

Wouldn't it be weird to see still fighter wings on the campaign? Them being a "weapon" now and all.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »

Not really. Flying a defensive wing or two at all times is not only likely but is real navy doctrine.
Maybe it would show the strongest wing for each carrier, or a wing for each fighter type the fleet has.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »

it's a CAP my man

they're flying a defensive CAP

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

I originally decided to have a go at this using up-to-date bleeding edge technology in order to analyze this image down to the pixels. I wasn't expecting much - maybe a teaser of a ship, a new, tantalizing outline of a future frigate, but no. What I found was far more insidious then I had ever imagined, a true monument to Alex' genius, or insanity.

Spoiler
I began my investigation of the picture by zooming in on this section here, to observe the tiny craft around the central blob of ships.

Zooming in, we can see (round white circle) several small fighter wings, possibly drones from their scale, trailing in the back. To the front, we can observe 3 larger ships, (white rectangle) The way they are aligned implies that these are not fighters, but three of the same type of frigate or gunship. Finally, in the middle (orange, highly detailed paintbrush) we can osberve what appears to be either three craft of the same size, or two smaller craft orbiting a slightly larger inner craft. But what faction does this belong to? Is it an upskinning of the Tritachyon? Derelict autonomous ships? Or...is it the fabled aliens we have been teased? To determine this, I zoomed in more on the central section, hoping to tease apart the ship silhouettes to get more information. I foolishly thought I was looking for starships, when I should have been looking for something else.

And that's when I found it.

Here is the central blob, zoomed in and after careful sharpening tools and enhancements. It was only after several hours of meticulous examination that I saw what this was, what Alex has been hinting at all this time, what the future of Starsector was. Do you see it?

Maybe not.

But once I broke down the image the conclusion was unescapable.

First, these two bright spots are far too bright in the image, almost shining like windows to the soul. The soul of what? The spaceships? The crews? The captains?

Then, these two blobs representing the fighters and frigates - they were randomly placed - but only APPARENTLY randomly placed, for in truth Alex put them EXACTLY where he wanted them to be - why else would he do this? Why else would he leak it? By now, the truth should be coming, but some of you will refuse to see. For if you outline the main central blob, and then outline the inner darker section, and add appropriate lines...the truth becomes clear.

Spoiler

Yes, it's the Banana from 'Peanut Butter Jelly Time'. Alex had, knowingly or subconciously, put this banana in the teaser for a future update. Why? It's obvious. The alien species will be a devious race of banana people, who seek to take the Domain of Man and turn human's into a source of peanut butter jelly, for their cruel and heartless feasts of peanut butter jelly celebrations. During these celebrations humans will be crushed and beaten with baseball bats until they are peanut butter jelly, wherein the Banana's will dance and feast upon the remains. It will be up to the player to defeat these Banana's and save the Domain of Man. This is obviously a reference to 'Day of the Triffids' and 'Night of the Killer klowns', both trademark and groundbreaking horror films of the past, thematically linked through the horror brought about by plants and false-humour. So that's what we're going to see in the next patch - Killer Bananas.
[close]
[close]
Pages: [1] 2