Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: I'm bored.  (Read 40229 times)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
Re: I'm bored.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »

Feel the ships on the LCD screen to find your targets.

XD
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

You're a beautiful man Alex and I want what's on your computer.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »

not to be provocative or anything but can we get a rough ETA on this patch or something, i feel like a dying man crawling towards a distant oasis here

thanks

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
why not steam?
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »

go check out the sales on steam.

speaking of, why not steam for Alex?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

because the game isn't done yet, nor will it be done anytime soon. :P

since Alex doesn't seem to need to use steam early access to fund development, and there's already a sizeable fanbase that provides feedback on the game in its current state, it makes sense to wait with releasing the game on steam & co until Alex feels it's done.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »

If it does make it to steam, do we get a cool little badge that says we bought it before steam?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »

because the game isn't done yet, nor will it be done anytime soon. :P

since Alex doesn't seem to need to use steam early access to fund development, and there's already a sizeable fanbase that provides feedback on the game in its current state, it makes sense to wait with releasing the game on steam & co until Alex feels it's done.
But, there are so many games in development that are on steam. Like "darkest dungeon" (it's called 'early access')

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

But, there are so many games in development that are on steam. Like "darkest dungeon" (it's called 'early access')
1) Darkest Dungeon hasn't been in early access in over a year. :P
2) did.. you even actually read my post? ^^

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »

Yeah, Steam's EA games and their communities can be very fickle. One bad period (bad release, long time between releases, not big enough release, etc) and it can tank a game's rating and leave it scarred for a long time or permanently which could cause potential players to stay away for a very long time. It could get lucky with say like RimWorld and hit it off right away and not look back, but for every success story there's probably dozens that have died as a result.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 05:53:01 PM »

Yeah, Steam's EA games and their communities can be very fickle. One bad period (bad release, long time between releases, not big enough release, etc) and it can tank a game's rating and leave it scarred for a long time or permanently which could cause potential players to stay away for a very long time. It could get lucky with say like RimWorld and hit it off right away and not look back, but for every success story there's probably dozens that have died as a result.
Not to mention that OUR ratings/ votes/ reviews don't count to the Steam ratings since we will have keys. So we won't be able to act as a buffer for bad reviews and just a few could get the snowball from hell rolling.
Plus, what do you think would have happened if SS was on Steam now during this Eternal Pending Update... It would be downvote city >.<

Annnnnnd then there is Workshop. Many Steam users are going to want Workshop, which I know from a fact that most of the sane modders do NOT want it due to all the legal BS and extra work to get the mods on there... And of course, people are going to want to browse Workshop in the game, which would be even more work for Alex.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »

Main reason is: Why would Alex want to give a 30% cut to Valve and take a lot of extra moderation work when he doesn't need it?

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 02:31:56 AM »

Because of the massive spike of interest and sales would more than make up for any troubles? It's not like Alex is taking a full 100% of the cut of sales now, I imagine the services he is using also has their own cut, though much smaller.

To parallel, here is what happened to Factorio once they had their Steam launch:

It's currently still on Early Access and according to Steamspy it has sold around 768,000 units to date. To quote the developers:
The sales of Factorio went pretty well, and we probably can't talk about exact numbers due to the legal agreement with steam. I believe I can say that we sold slightly more during this week on steam, than during the whole last year on our page, which is overwhelming.

That said I completely respect Alex's opinion of not launching on Steam on Early Access, but not releasing there ever would be a major mistake.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:40:56 AM by Cyan Leader »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 03:07:02 AM »

I don't have anything really wholesome to add to this discussion, but I just love how you can see that short period where the servers were down in Week 10.  ;D

Reth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:45 AM »

Please don't put it on steam unless the budget runs out, there are already way to many early access titles there (steam store starts to feel like kickstarter)  :P
It would be a fun experiment tough. The combination of a slow update cycle but each update being fun & bugfree would be the opposite of most other early access titles.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »

That said I completely respect Alex's opinion of not launching on Steam on Early Access, but not releasing there ever would be a major mistake.
It has always been the plan to release on Steam "when it's done". There is however very few compelling reasons to do so while the game is unfinished, as long as Alex can afford a decent living.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8