Fractal Softworks Forum
May 24, 2017, 02:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.8a is out (hotfix is up!) ; New blog post: Ship’s Log of Salvage Dave’s Final Mission (3/29/17)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur  (Read 933 times)
Machine
Lieutenant

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »

I've been following this channel for a couple of months now, and honestly I think it is fantastic, considering it is already thursday, and that means a new video is getting uploaded later today, I supposed it would be a good idea to promote it.

And to make one of its core themes more related to Starsector, something I made just for the fun of it...

The CSV Ojos del Salado III Sabre-class destroyer approaches with its fleet the Dyson swarm orbiting Arcon's parent star.

Now to figure how to code an interstellar laser highway...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:44:17 AM by Machine » Logged

Toxcity
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:42 PM »

Thanks for the recommend. Will probably look into the video/channel a bit later. As for the in game image, looks awesome!
Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Furry!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:10:26 AM »

Image isn't showing here.

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
Machine
Lieutenant

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »

Image should be working properly now... hopefully.

TJJ
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »

Image should be working properly now... hopefully.

A little nitpicky, but the dyson swarm in your image could never work. (assuming it's using traditional Newtonian physics to maintain orbit)

Besides being insanely close to the surface of the sun (fine, artistic interpretation), the orbits of the various arrays would need to be on different (intersecting) orbital planes. (otherwise they simply wouldn't be in orbit)
Network Pesci
Captain

What the heck is so goshdarn funny about me?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »

Clearly the same technology that powers the hyperdrives and force fields reduces the effective gravity experienced by the swarm so they are in stable orbits as they appear in that picture.
Machine
Lieutenant

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

Actually, it was meant to be kept in orbit just by solar pressure, which is in theory possible, however quite unlikely since it would require materials with extremely low densities.

That said, I thought that what I made was a type of dyson swarm, but the correct term for that kind of megastructure is a dyson bubble. A proper dyson swarm with orbital mechanics would be impossible since you can't animate stations AFAIK.

In relation to the size and distance from the star, it is just for representation, and since the whole system is not at scale I figured it was ok, honestly those planets are HUGE, or maybe the stars are too small.

Nevertheless, I made the structure in 2 halves, back and front, and they have their layers set as TERRAIN2 and TERRAIN3, planets/stars go in between those. By doing it this way I can set the ingame size to whatever I might want by changing the custom entity's "spriteWidth" and "spriteHeight", currently both were set to 2500.

I didn't make it larger since I thought it would look odd with the ships flying above it. I guess that could be fixed by cutting the sphere in more layers, and maybe setting the top layer to ABOVE could work, not sure, and I still think it would look odd.

anyway, go watch the channel I promise it is a good watch Wink.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: