Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur  (Read 6148 times)

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »

I've been following this channel for a couple of months now, and honestly I think it is fantastic, considering it is already thursday, and that means a new video is getting uploaded later today, I supposed it would be a good idea to promote it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ryqjyLBL8

And to make one of its core themes more related to Starsector, something I made just for the fun of it...

Spoiler

The CSV Ojos del Salado III Sabre-class destroyer approaches with its fleet the Dyson swarm orbiting Arcon's parent star.

Now to figure how to code an interstellar laser highway...
[close]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:44:17 AM by Machine »

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:42 PM »

Thanks for the recommend. Will probably look into the video/channel a bit later. As for the in game image, looks awesome!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:10:26 AM »

Image isn't showing here.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »

Image should be working properly now... hopefully.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »

Image should be working properly now... hopefully.

A little nitpicky, but the dyson swarm in your image could never work. (assuming it's using traditional Newtonian physics to maintain orbit)

Besides being insanely close to the surface of the sun (fine, artistic interpretation), the orbits of the various arrays would need to be on different (intersecting) orbital planes. (otherwise they simply wouldn't be in orbit)

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »

Actually, it was meant to be kept in orbit just by solar pressure, which is in theory possible, however quite unlikely since it would require materials with extremely low densities.

That said, I thought that what I made was a type of dyson swarm, but the correct term for that kind of megastructure is a dyson bubble. A proper dyson swarm with orbital mechanics would be impossible since you can't animate stations AFAIK.

In relation to the size and distance from the star, it is just for representation, and since the whole system is not at scale I figured it was ok, honestly those planets are HUGE, or maybe the stars are too small.

Nevertheless, I made the structure in 2 halves, back and front, and they have their layers set as TERRAIN2 and TERRAIN3, planets/stars go in between those. By doing it this way I can set the ingame size to whatever I might want by changing the custom entity's "spriteWidth" and "spriteHeight", currently both were set to 2500.

I didn't make it larger since I thought it would look odd with the ships flying above it. I guess that could be fixed by cutting the sphere in more layers, and maybe setting the top layer to ABOVE could work, not sure, and I still think it would look odd.

anyway, go watch the channel I promise it is a good watch ;).