Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Silent Armada (DISCONTINUED) v0.14 - Patching Things Up!  (Read 100676 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] The Silent Armada (Demo) v0.5
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »

My idea for a mod consists of missile heavy ships with spammy missiles that avoid PD at the cost of range and/or payload.
I'm talking a Macross Missile Massacre with each ship.

Too bad I can't sprite, kitbash, or properly code. (yet)

Hehe, it's something I wanted to do initially because missile weapons are so much fun to make unique and interesting! As it is, now I'm doing broadside ballistic -focused ships. XD Go figure.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »

@cjusa If you're thinking of learning to mod, my advice is to look through the stock game files bit by bit to understand how things fit together, what values can be assigned to what keys, how to reference files and folder paths, etc. Also looking at some simpler mods (Tore Up Plenty is a good one) to get the gist of mod-specific things.

As for spriting, that all comes down to practise. If you don't want to try spriting or kitbashing yourself, there's always the Spiral Arms Sprite Dump (or whatever it's called) where people publicly share kitbashed ships for anyone to use.

That's my self-taught amateur advice anyway. ;)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »

@cjusa If you're thinking of learning to mod, my advice is to look through the stock game files bit by bit to understand how things fit together, what values can be assigned to what keys, how to reference files and folder paths, etc. Also looking at some simpler mods (Tore Up Plenty is a good one) to get the gist of mod-specific things.

As for spriting, that all comes down to practise. If you don't want to try spriting or kitbashing yourself, there's always the Spiral Arms Sprite Dump (or whatever it's called) where people publicly share kitbashed ships for anyone to use.

That's my self-taught amateur advice anyway. ;)
Thanks man.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

Thanks man.

*bows* Happy to help. Just remember to run all my advice past an experienced modder for a second opinion before you follow any of it.  ;D

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] The Silent Armada (Demo) v0.6
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »

Update: Version D 0.6 (Demo content expansion #4)

A mix of newcomers and alterations in the basket today. We have two new weapons and one new ship - a small and nippy corvette boasting a new engine-centred Flux Sink system - as well as a further overhaul of the Autoloader Flux Sink system and the usual miscellaneous changes.

Check the OP for more details.

Please remember that I want to hear suggestions for balancing TSA ships' and weapons' stats against stock equipment! All recommendations welcome!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »

Also of note is that I'm having more thoughts about making the combat more interesting. Having dynamic stat changes from a hullmod is proving far too difficult for me to wrap my head around so far, but I have a plan to make the ship systems a little more intriguing.

Specifically, using the Flux Tracker API, I should be able to give systems multiple functions that occur depending on the ship's flux level, as opposed to a straightforward "X changes with flux level". This would allow more tactical options for my coding experience, and mean I can effectively put multiple [mutually exclusive] active systems on ships.

Obviously this needs more planning, but it's one of the main reasons I wanted to get this last little update (D 0.6) out of the way, so I have a clean changelog slate, as it were, to make some bigger alterations.

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

Are you planning to add any slow shooting, high damage weapons?
That would really add to the battleship and cruiser feels!

(Disclaimer: I have not played this mod! This is due to my computer being broken. So if there is a cannon that can do that, i may never have seen it, Sorry!)
Hello!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Are you planning to add any slow shooting, high damage weapons?
That would really add to the battleship and cruiser feels!

(Disclaimer: I have not played this mod! This is due to my computer being broken. So if there is a cannon that can do that, i may never have seen it, Sorry!)

With some clean-up still to come, that's part of the doctrine of all the "big guns" of the mod!  ;D Things like the Hades Gun, and the Eris- and Charon-class Salvo Cannons, all are high damage-per-shot, but low rate of fire.

Best of luck with computer problems by the way. ;) That's always sucky.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:21:46 PM by AxleMC131 »

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »

kind of confused about the mod...is this one of those ship/weapon mods that doesn't add systems? when reading your description i assumed it was purely a mission mod.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »

kind of confused about the mod...is this one of those ship/weapon mods that doesn't add systems? when reading your description i assumed it was purely a mission mod.
It's being released early to test the ships. (Demo for a reason)
Balance testing, getting the ship systems zeroed in on what they should do, etc.
Plus, 0.8 will change quite a bit, so that's further incentive to not finish everything yet.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »

It's being released early to test the ships. (Demo for a reason)
Balance testing, getting the ship systems zeroed in on what they should do, etc.
Plus, 0.8 will change quite a bit, so that's further incentive to not finish everything yet.

Exactly. When 0.8 rolls around I'll be doing a big overhaul to catch up to new mechanics and rebalance stuff. Once everything for the mod is set in stone for a while longer (ships, weapons, mechanics) I'll move on to implementing the ships and such into the campaign.

@majorfreak it does say that it's a demo with experimental content. The first paragraph of the OP.  :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:08:13 PM by AxleMC131 »

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2017, 03:30:06 PM »

i know. see, that's what confused me when i started reading people talking about the weapons in your mod and i started wondering if i was in error and this was actually something i could use to add more to the campaign.
"spawn in the markets"   - this is promising. can i actually use them without a CTD then? or is it just for "refitting" theorycrafting?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »

i know. see, that's what confused me when i started reading people talking about the weapons in your mod and i started wondering if i was in error and this was actually something i could use to add more to the campaign.
"spawn in the markets"   - this is promising. can i actually use them without a CTD then? or is it just for "refitting" theorycrafting?

... First off, what's "CTD" stand for?

Second, I can guarantee you that while there is no access to the modded ships outside of the missions included in the mod, all the weapons (apart from the Odin Siege Laser, which is a built-in weapon) will spawn in station/planet markets in a regular campaign game. You can definitely play a campaign game with this mod and get some benefit by having access - randomly - to the weapons it introduces. I've been trying it and challenging myself to find as many TSA weapons as I can in markets and build a collection.  ;)

Of note: Because no ships are added in the campaign, you cannot get weapons as drops by killing stuff (unless Dynasector is even cleverer than I think it is...). You'll only find weapons in markets, so they're relatively a little rarer than other weapons.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »

oh. that's wonderful! i must have misunderstood your 'demo' connotation (i suppose having "refitting screen" and "markets" in the same sentence got me confused, maybe)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »

oh. that's wonderful! i must have misunderstood your 'demo' connotation (i suppose having "refitting screen" and "markets" in the same sentence got me confused, maybe)

Ah, my apologies. XD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9