Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reworking "Procurement Contracts" - Be a little practical please  (Read 10644 times)

Mini S

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking "Procurement Contracts" - Be a little practical please
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »

There are Independent fleets that transports passengers.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »

There are Independent fleets that transports passengers.

... Not exactly what I was meaning. XD I mean in terms of the player's interaction with the game. You can transport cargo, sure. Why not passengers?

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »

For all time sensitive missions it would be great if the following information was available:
* How far away the contract is (in LY and best speed travel days)
* How much time remains to complete the contract

Those two pieces of information I need every time I look at and consider a contract. Please don't make me do the work myself, that's not the fun part of the game.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »

Agree with above posts. Passenger missions are another one where we need the mission to give you the special cargo. It would be really weird if the mission was like "go round up 100 random people wherever you can find them, and take them somewhere" instead of "these specific people here want to go somewhere, take them there."

In general i think a lot of the ships in SS have too much room for passengers; which devalues the passenger liner ships. Those passenger missions should be really lucrative, but you should have to buy a passenger liner.

We should also think beyond pure delivery missions. Like a luxury cruise ship mission! It would be droll if there was a mission that required the luxury liner, where you had to pick the people up, stay in orbit around a pretty star for a few days, land at a fancy planet for a day, orbit another pretty star for a couple days, then bring everyone back to start again. The fewer passengers choke on volturnian lobster during the shore leave, the more you get paid.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:04:42 PM by nomadic_leader »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »

Agree with above posts. Passenger missions are another one where we need the mission to give you the special cargo. It would be really weird if the mission was like "go round up 100 random people wherever you can find them, and take them somewhere" instead of "these specific people here want to go somewhere, take them there."

In general i think a lot of the ships in SS have too much room for passengers; which devalues the passenger liner ships. Those passenger missions should be really lucrative, but you should have to buy a passenger liner.

We should also think beyond pure delivery missions. Like a luxury cruise ship mission! It would be droll if there was a mission that required the luxury liner, where you had to pick the people up, stay in orbit around a pretty star for a few days, land at a fancy planet for a day, orbit another pretty star for a couple days, then bring everyone back to start again. The fewer passengers choke on volturnian lobster during the shore leave, the more you get paid.

I love every bit about this comment.  ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

We currently need extra personnel for:
* Additional crew to replace losses in combat.
* Additional crew to pilot captured ships.
* Marines to capture ships in the first place.

If I did not have Special Ops perk, I would need to bring a Starliner full of marines to capture battleships.  Warships do not have that much extra space for extra crew and enough marines to board ships, at least for those without Leadership skills.

If I had maxed that skill that boosted XP gain for crew, I would use liners to ferry crew to sell at periodic intervals.

Mini S

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »

If I had maxed that skill that boosted XP gain for crew, I would use liners to ferry crew to sell at periodic intervals.

I do that even without the skill but unfortunately it will be impossible in 0.8 due to the removal of crew levels.
It was a boost to credits but most of the time it was to build a reserve of elite crew to fly the next battleship.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »

We currently need extra personnel for:
* Additional crew to replace losses in combat.
* Additional crew to pilot captured ships.
* Marines to capture ships in the first place.

If I did not have Special Ops perk, I would need to bring a Starliner full of marines to capture battleships. 

Ok now we're totally off topic, but this should be the case. Warships are warships, not troop transports. You shouldn't get to have these awesome warships AND use them to carry enough crew to be prize crews for a bunch of captures.

-If you want to capture lots of ships, you should need to have a liner and salvage rig in your fleet
-If you want your fleet to go on long voyages, you should need to have a fuel tanker
-If you want to transport or capture tonnes of cargo, you should need to have a freighter.

But as it is now, SS keeps the player from having to make any interesting choices about fleet design and composition, by going "here take a bunch of warships and you can do whatever you want with them! you don't need any support ships because warships can do everything." Fighting ships generally have a little too much fuel, crew, and cargo capacity. Like how much time did David waste making those support ship sprites, if the player never needs to use them?

The game should be balanced to force the player to make actual, tough choices and use vulnerable support ships depending on what they want to accomplish. I'd like to see a game that requires some thinking, rather than a mindless stomp fest, and i'm pretty sure this is in fact the design intent.

And the campaign missions (coming back round to the topic) should also utilize all these support ships in a variety of interesting ways.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

I will be brief:  so-called mindless stomping is fun, and requiring civilians just changes the mindless optimal fleet configuration.  (0.62 was bad because optimal fleet configuration was one destroyer to solo everything and the rest Atlas to carry all the loot, much more than today.)  One warship does not have that much spare room, but multiple ships together can sometimes.  People who chain-battle in enemy systems or simply looking for Atlas fleets to kill will need some Atlas of their own (or leave loot behind).  People without leadership perks will probably need a liner to bring enough marines to board a battleship.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »

Ok now we're totally off topic, but this should be the case. Warships are warships, not troop transports. You shouldn't get to have these awesome warships AND use them to carry enough crew to be prize crews for a bunch of captures.

-If you want to capture lots of ships, you should need to have a liner and salvage rig in your fleet
-If you want your fleet to go on long voyages, you should need to have a fuel tanker
-If you want to transport or capture tonnes of cargo, you should need to have a freighter.

Totally agree. Even though large fleets do tend to require support (thinking mostly of Nemo's last campaign play "A Pirate's Life" towards the endgame), I reckon we need a little more. Maybe this could be done with more ships in your fleet, but perhaps also more ships with non-combat hullmods like the Monafilament Cable and the Repair Gantry. I'd love to see a ship system that reloads missile ammunition on nearby friendly ships.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »

Most of these problems are more due to there being no reason to enter an area without a station. Even the empty system in vanilla doesn't see much player activity, since there are bounties in plenty of other more populated areas.

Like if you use the Diable Avionics mod and sign a commision with them, you'll definitely need a freighter/tanker to get to them regularly without trouble.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »

Most of these problems are more due to there being no reason to enter an area without a station. Even the empty system in vanilla doesn't see much player activity, since there are bounties in plenty of other more populated areas.

Like if you use the Diable Avionics mod and sign a commision with them, you'll definitely need a freighter/tanker to get to them regularly without trouble.

Agreed. BUT that will all change with the exploration mechanics in 0.8! Freighters/tankers/misc. support ships are gonna be a necessity!

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 07:33:07 AM »

I'd like to see the Procurement Contracts altered to be "Colony X needs up to Y-amount of Z-commodity and is paying $$ per item for the next T days. Any deliveries made within the next T/2 days will receive $$x2 per item."

This would allow players to participate with almost any contract. It gives them the freedom to choose which contract would work best for them. They are still restricted by 1) the commodities immediately available to them, 2) their location in the universe, and 3) the cargo capacity of their fleet. Since this would allow the player a more consistent means to earn money, the contracts would likely need to see a nerf in how much they offer per item, 10-15% less than current payouts?

It seems like a small change to the current system that would really open up player options.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »

I'd love to see a ship system that reloads missile ammunition on nearby friendly ships.

I think that there is a lot of potential for combat support ships; ammunition resupply, ships that buff shield or flux stats of nearby friendlies, mobility enhancing ships, interdictor type ships (there are some of these in mods already I believe). I do realize that this would require a significant amount of work on the AI to get it to pilot these properly though. Maybe one day.

In terms of cargo missions, I think that the current 'supply' missions where you have to go out and buy resources and then deliver them are going to morph into some sort of supply contract when outposts become a thing. I imagine you set up your outpost to manufacture something and then have a contract where you deliver those goods to markets. Hopefully the player would be able to buy AI fleets to do the actual cargo hauling. And the you could have delivery missions (where you just take something from A to B) replace the current supply missions. 

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »

I'd love to see a ship system that reloads missile ammunition on nearby friendly ships.

I think that there is a lot of potential for combat support ships; ammunition resupply, ships that buff shield or flux stats of nearby friendlies, mobility enhancing ships, interdictor type ships (there are some of these in mods already I believe). I do realize that this would require a significant amount of work on the AI to get it to pilot these properly though. Maybe one day.

Aye, I have no idea how you would make an AI to handle that. Still, support ships that buff friendly nearby vessels would be really neat I think.

In terms of cargo missions, I think that the current 'supply' missions where you have to go out and buy resources and then deliver them are going to morph into some sort of supply contract when outposts become a thing. I imagine you set up your outpost to manufacture something and then have a contract where you deliver those goods to markets. Hopefully the player would be able to buy AI fleets to do the actual cargo hauling. And the you could have delivery missions (where you just take something from A to B) replace the current supply missions. 

That's a really good point. Having a way to properly (economically) export materials from an outpost would be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]