Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wow  (Read 9962 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Wow
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »

This game became a disappointment as time went on. The start off of the game is impossible with very little chance of reasonable match ups....most the ships just kite you and no real fight happens and if there's more then 1 then you are just straight up ***....way to Ultima 9 this game. Point is this game had potential but the beginning is so damn bad its a wonder people still play this game. I am sorry I paid money for this

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Wow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »

Well, you should be happy to know that various systems will be coming the in the gigantic upcoming patch that will make starting out easier. Things like Salvage and Exploration that can provide you with credits and resources/weapons which will require little to no fighting. Also, consider choosing the starting options that give you a Lasher and Kite wingman/officer.

Anyways, most would agree that starting out is tough—some have even made quality mods to make it easier, so consider checking those out.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »

As someone who appreciates a harder beginning for I generally find myself less interested as things get easier, I find the difficulty a good thing for my extended playtime. Gives me a greater sense of accomplishment. To each their own.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »

Have you considered playing on easy mode?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »

yeah, early game is pretty brutal right now. Alex is aware of this and is looking into ways to make it less so, some of which will be in the next release.

you can also check out the Steiner Foundation mod that aims to make early game less punishing (although it doesn't make the battles themselves any easier) or even the Console Commands mod that allows you to basically cheat yourself some ship/money/xp. i can get through the early game in vanilla, but i still often use Console Commands to create a 'custom start' of some kind that lets me skip the difficult grind at the very beginning.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »

Point is this game had potential but the beginning is so damn bad its a wonder people still play this game. I am sorry I paid money for this
While the difficulty is inverted, I have played games more difficult than this.  Starsector is not impossible for determined gamers, but that does not mean the game cannot be unfair at times.  My biggest complaint about the beginning is the player is a (boring) weak chump piloting slow-as-molasses ships.  It gets better (for me) later in the game when my character is a war god and can hot-rod through battlespace with a fast cruiser or battleship and solo fleets.

There are some gameplay quirks I am watching, and hope the game does not succumb to them when finished.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »

If you haven't got gud after this long in the game then maybe it is too much of a mental strain for you, like Call of Duty
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »

well, since i love games like Steam's Darkest Dungeon - well...actually, more like a love/hate relationship with it. lol - i can sympathize with the haters. I guess i lucked out when i first started this game. For one, i got into the game via the famous Long War youtuber, "Beaglerush", and his intro video PLUS having a really lucky start to my game (started on Easy mode)

however, i can very much appreciate Alex's worry the early game may be a little too hard, since i feel it was mere luck that i got a decent starting ship and a lucky economy without the brutally expensive supply/fuel commodity costs you can sometimes get in the RNG. Once you get into a hole the game pretty much sucks if you're a n00b.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »

If you haven't got gud after this long in the game then maybe it is too much of a mental strain for you, like Call of Duty
no need to be rude, the criticism that the campaign start is too difficult/unforgiving is certainly justified, even if calling it "impossible" is not.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »

no need to be rude, the criticism that the campaign start is too difficult/unforgiving is certainly justified, even if calling it "impossible" is not.
He's been around here as long as I have and most of what he does is complain and ****post
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »

This game became a disappointment as time went on. The start off of the game is impossible with very little chance of reasonable match ups....most the ships just kite you and no real fight happens and if there's more then 1 then you are just straight up ***....way to Ultima 9 this game. Point is this game had potential but the beginning is so damn bad its a wonder people still play this game. I am sorry I paid money for this

Sad to hear this. :( But everyone thinks differently of the game. I'd second the recommendations of a few people if you are finding the early-game difficult: Switch to easy mode; try some mods; and if you're getting screwed over by the RNG on a new save, don't be afraid to restart several times until you find a universe with a better start.

Personally, I find the early-game really fun because I enjoy controlling a much smaller fleet, catching bounties on pirate raiders and doing occasional courier missions. I don't have the tactical thinking ability for large-scale logistics, but I'm still looking forward to the 0.8 update, where combat will be more focused on larger fleets and we are introduced to industry, exploration, etc.

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well, but I implore you to stick around for a little longer and follow some of the advice offered here. Just because a game is hard doesn't mean it isn't fun - if you straight-up "don't like" playing Starsector, that's fine, no one's forcing you to. But you're not the only one who gets bogged down by a difficult start, and we still find the game highly enjoyable.

Just some food for thought. Hope you find something that works for you!  :D

Admiral Loverod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:44 PM »

He's been around here as long as I have and most of what he does is complain and ****post

Yeah he's been a negative influence on these forums for years, this is his standard fare. It's pretty uncool to be honest, he's never constructive.
"Your ship seems a little wobbly."
"Wobbly?"
"Yes, wobbly. It can't hit the broadside of an Onslaught, and the engine is missing so much armor plating I feel like it's mooning me every time you leave port."

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »

I'd be tempted to agree with you if the OP hadn't been far ruder first.

Loken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »

I feel like biggest early game difficulty factor is supply price.

Some times price is 20 sometimes its 180 (+tarrifs) witch is difference of 100 supplies vs 100 supplies+geared up frigate.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 01:53:03 AM »

Midnight Kitsune might lack tact at times, but from all the time I have been around, he always has replied to me in a helpful way and never was rude towards me. His tolerance towards some things is just low and he seems like a person that speaks his mind. If you see though his replies around, they always are helpful and many times he goes out of his way to be extra detailed. He also hates specific mods, especially the ones that are broken and never really fixed or balanced XD

I have seen Lopunny a couple of times and usually his complaints contain quite some asterisks and him complaining about difficulty found on mods. I guess now of the base game too >.> No offense towards him, since I do not know him, but if he is trying to make a point about the game, the way he expressed it lost him the attention of many for sure.
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: [1] 2