Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: heavy tactical laser? energy based missile?  (Read 6295 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: heavy tactical laser? energy based missile?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »

Yeah, I gotta agree with you Megas. Again, I like them as support weapons or secondaries. Rarely I will use sustained beam weapons for primaries.

Referring to "sustained beams" as any beam weapon that doesn't fire in bursts. Gotta love the Phase Lance, but its flux usage is pretty killer on small ships.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »

I would like Phase Lance more if it had a bit more range, like 700 it used to have, but even 650 would give it something over Pulse Laser/Heavy Blaster.  Without Advanced Optics, Phase Lance is just totally inferior to Pulse Laser or Heavy Blaster.  It does not burst as well as a blaster, and it does not hit for hard flux like non-beams.  (Try it with Hyperion that needs to teleport, fire, then teleport again before getting shot back - it can do it with a blaster, but not really with phase lance.)  With Advanced Optics, Phase Lance is more useful, at least for ships that can combo it with a needler.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

I would like Phase Lance more if it had a bit more range, like 700 it used to have, but even 650 would give it something over Pulse Laser/Heavy Blaster.  Without Advanced Optics, Phase Lance is just totally inferior to Pulse Laser or Heavy Blaster.  It does not burst as well as a blaster, and it does not hit for hard flux like non-beams.

True, true. Lots to think about in this thread. XD

(Try it with Hyperion that needs to teleport, fire, then teleport again before getting shot back - it can do it with a blaster, but not really with phase lance.)

Haha, using Phase Lances on the Hyperion seems counterintuitive to me. The thing about the coveted Hyperion in-fire-out move is that you need to be able to fire FAST. Phase Lances, while quick in their own way as a burst weapon, just don't have the instant damage that move requires.
Pages: 1 [2]