Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The gates  (Read 21463 times)

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The gates
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »

or, Alex could turn this into a MMO and create a half-baked storyarc, which fanfiction players create an intricate and detailed version that rocks, only to have Alex kill off all the main characters arbitrarily ending that storyarc.

hahahaha...oh, i'm evil ;D

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »

Haha, oh please no.   ;)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »

Not sure how much it fits, but every time I see the gates I get the same feeling as I get from Dwarven ruins in The Elder Scrolls games. Whatever will be behind there, it will be mysterious and make little to no sense. Like traveling through the twilight zone~
Ignorance is bliss..

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »

Honestly, I'd love for a cliff-hangar-y ending involving the gates. Most people would probably disagreed, but I think having the gates as an object of mystery, and revealing whats left behind them wouldn't fit too well in the same game. The big reveal would be better for a sequel.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:43:24 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »

For now, storywise, they are just a device explaining how an isolated pocket of highly advanced space humans could happen, the rest is probably not yet finished at all...

...however, should we ever get to the point where the game's mechanics are finished (I see decades of fine-tuning in my crystal ball, though it's pirate-tech, so...) optional campaigns and missions with stories and characters behind them might pop up, as I hope, easily modable as well, so we can push our own treasure hunts and imminent doom device countdowns into the sector... and the gates could become a main story arc... what happened? Can they be reactivated or repurposed? Should they?

My idea would be to have a reason for the shutdown like Deus Ex, some radical but ingenious group that just got fed up with the universe-wide scheming of their rulers and shut it down in a way that made sure they would stay dead for a long time, creating localized pockets of space-faring humans - the corvus sector being a casualty as it was not yet self-sufficient... then get some research, space-hulk-hunting, corporate tech-stealing, the generic genius tech (maybe an artificial bio-tech brain in a 2-meter jar for a change?) to find a way to reactivate a gate at tremendous costs, and entirely seperate from that a research for what happened, followed by some major fight against the ruling powers of the sector that don't want the gate to be reopened, either because they fear being dismantled by more civilized domain authorities, or maybe because the shut down actually came with a more-or-less cryptic warning and explanation...
Then we could go full messed up stargate... connecting to random gates and find out what happened to that isolated part of the galaxy... happy agriworlds (to be exploited by the Hegemony...), reorganized sectors with their own powers and tech, rogue AIs having taken over, zombies, gate-malfunction letting in extra-dimensional terror-insects, etc. The options are endless, and could probably be fit into the game engine as it is, especially with some random generation now in place. I'd think that would be cool, because the endgame could grow with player strength and also reward unique and interesting spoils (capture an actual Domain Dreadnought preserved by some local warlord and used as a command ship/floating palace to rule over his subjects, just some nice worlds to colonize and exploit, the AI that just happens to be exactly strong enough to be a challenge to the player drops interesting new weapons... etc.)

Well. Don't we all have the fantasy-starsector in mind we want some time...? I'll shut up now.

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »

Or there could be nothing at all, either because the gates no longer lead to the same places or because the Domain completely vanished.

Feel like Tartiflette could know something? :D
Using an Astral with 6 Khopesh wings coz I'm that basic B)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 04:04:18 AM »

Feel like Tartiflette could know something? :D

He does seem to know a lot. :P Maybe he's Starsector's version of the Oracle or something. "Sees all; Knows all; Mods all!"

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »

I hope Alex NEVER puts the activation of the rings into the game, unless it's the very last update.

BUT, I do want Alex to put in story content that at least involves the rings. Not, activating them, but sort of including them in the world.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

superhotdogzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »

Well. Don't we all have the fantasy-starsector in mind we want some time...? I'll shut up now.

Why don't we mod an end game?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

Why don't we mod an end game?

Could if you want. Problem is it'd probably end up being a fanfiction equivalent of the end-game.  ;)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »

I'm not convinced one of the gates doesn't lead to Brennan's Triumph.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.
Pages: 1 [2]