Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Campaign "death"/respawn... Somehow you can freeze time? Here's an alternative.  (Read 8630 times)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile

megas plays the game like a shoot em up, which is fine i guess but his opinions on everything will always diverge from anyone who wants a strategic/tactical fleet game.

personally i came for the fleet combat, not twitch shooting and from my view the game's been going in the wrong direction (granted, only in a few ways; filling in the rest of the campaign map environment is p. gud) for a while now. .8 will change a lot of that i hope. a real salvage/production/repair/maintenance system is probably needed long-term if that's the way we're going to go. and time elapsing during docked activities is probably a part of that.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

Im my humble opinion Alex shouldn't muck about with any time mechanics until the game aspects that crucially depend on them are implemented. Once things like player-owned outposts with growth rates or trade fleets with flight schedules are in the game, it will be more apparent which time related dials have to be turned to get the most fun out of it at the end.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Im my humble opinion Alex shouldn't muck about with any time mechanics until the game aspects that crucially depend on them are implemented. Once things like player-owned outposts with growth rates or trade fleets with flight schedules are in the game, it will be more apparent which time related dials have to be turned to get the most fun out of it at the end.

Aye, that's a good thought. Leave it on the back burner until we have more things in the game which will rely on the passing of time to function properly.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This "don't do x until y" argument is a standard response on these forums and that's fine, it does always sound nuanced and prudent, but I don't quite see the logic in this case. There are already tonnes of mechanics in the game that need it. There are already timed campaign missions, pursuing fleets, markets, etc... I think having timed docking should be put in now so it can start being refined and evaluated.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

@ Cik: I do play Starsector mainly as a shoot-em-up, but I like to command a bigger ship (read: anything bigger than a one-man fighter or tramp freighter) and some competent wingmen as brothers-in-arms that can tear things up.  Unfortunately, game mechanics for most of 0.6x and all of 0.7x favor soloing everything, due to stingy loot, deployment costs, and wingmen that cannot handle overwhelming odds.  (In case of 0.6-0.62, also excessive loot that required multiple Atlas, which ate nearly all of my Logistics, to loot from one battle.)  0.54 favored mindless auto-resolve (for power-leveling), and 0.65... favored huge gigantic deploy-all fleets (for those with max Logistics) and it was glorious!  Soloing was still more efficient, but huge frigate fleets were still reasonably cost-effective to use and deploy-all hordes were much faster paced.  Also, the enemy could not significantly outnumber your biggest endgame fleet, unlike today.
Pages: 1 [2]