Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Never-ending MIRV a.k.a "Today I learnt..."  (Read 14179 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: The Never-ending MIRV a.k.a "Today I learnt..."
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »

why do you still have the full screen white flashes enabled? Don't you find those annoying?

For me, the only annoying thing about them is that they are in front of the UI.

A big part of why I enjoy them is because they remind me of the nukes from Empire Earth. For very big explosions, a giant white flash combined with the screen shaking is very satisfying.
Yeah, in front of the UI is bad (but I can see why they are since it would look weird with the UI there), along with slowing down the game and lasting way too long on craptops
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

This is giving me Exigency flashbacks.

Do you mean the Kestros MIRV or something like that?
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »

This is giving me Exigency flashbacks.

Do you mean the Kestros MIRV or something like that?
Most likely.
Also, for those that didn't already know, Exigency is BACK!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »

I just noticed, why do you still have the full screen white flashes enabled? Don't you find those annoying?

Honestly? No, I really like them. 8) Sure they cover the UI, but only for a second.

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 06:27:44 AM »

Can you do this but with a swarm of homing annihilators?
May the fry be with you.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »

Heh. Why not non-homing annihilators? Epic expanding shotgun-like effect.

If missiles are destroyed by weapon fire, do they split? if not, then flak oughta work here. Like really well.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »

If missiles are destroyed by weapon fire, do they split?
If you look closely, you will notice *MLG voice off*, that first (second possibly too, I can't check that) MIRV gets destroyed by PDs and doesn't do anything.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

If missiles are destroyed by weapon fire, do they split?
If you look closely, you will notice *MLG voice off*, that first (second possibly too, I can't check that) MIRV gets destroyed by PDs and doesn't do anything.

Yeah, you can't pre-trigger an MIRV to split by shooting it. XD That's one of the reasons I launched three at once - I'd actually tested it a few times, and just one or two would be eaten by the Conquest's PD. Three was enough to start that chain reaction of evil.  ;D

RecklessPrudence

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 02:45:46 AM »

Couldn't you limit it with a counter variable set for each initial projectile fired, that only lets its descendants replicate for like three generations? You'd have to be careful, so that it doesn't reset the counter every time it calls itself, maybe with a boolean that is a necessary variable to call it, and if the boolean is set to 'true' (which it is only on the firing from the launcher) it initialises the counter, and if it's set to 'false' (which is how you have it call itself), it merely increments it, until it reaches the preset limit, and doesn't call itself anymore? It'd be more complex than that to do true generation tracking, of course, but if you didn't want to do generation tracking, you could have it for a total limit of self-replication which is equal to three full generations, so that if there's only ever one survivor from a generation it can go for quite some time.

If you did want to do generation tracking... you'd have to do it on a per-drone level, where each drone 'knows' how many drones its 'line' goes, so it'd pretty much have to be an array or a matrix, and every time you call the drone function, you pass it what generation drone is spawning it? If each drone splits into five, and you only want at most three generations, you'd only need an array of size sixteen (one for the initial drone), and each time you replicate you store which generation the drone is. Any time a drone attempts to self-replicate and is at the generation limit, nothing happens, because of your if statement that only allows you to get to the replication call when under the generation limit.

Would that work? I haven't done a programming course in about four years, even though it's my major - personal issues put Uni on hold - so it might need some tweaking.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »

... Jeezus. Umm, not with my level of coding, and as far as I know not with Starsector's current foundation for projectiles.  :-[ I don't think you can pass information between an MIRV projectile and it's warhead projectile.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 05:39:24 AM »

You can do generation tracking with some copy-pasting.

If MirvGen1 launches MirvGen2s which are just a copy-paste of MirvGen1 except for the name...

and then Gen2s launch Gen3s, which don't launch anything, voila, instant three level mirv with identical stats.

And a little file bloat, but eh.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

Oh, you can easily do it with half a dozen separate projectiles, sure. Where each one is an MIRV who's warhead is the next successive projectile. The issue I have with that is that it clutters up file folders, which I find confusing and irritating.  :-\ Still, if you want to do that, you can.
Pages: 1 2 [3]