Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Break Apart Physics  (Read 2337 times)

theplayerx4734

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Break Apart Physics
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »

I know when a ship is disabled/destroyed it will break apart. However what if it only broke apart where it took servere damage? IE: a  Onslaught takes a bunch or Reapers to port, so chunks of the port would break off.
    Tl:dr, parts break off where most hull and armor are damaged.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Break Apart Physics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

I feel like if that happens, the ship is going to act as if it were Destroyed in the post-battle results screen - because, in the words of Alex, "there's a whole lot of welding to do".  There's just way too much structural damage for it to continue performing it's actions outside that battle unless you get it to a shipyard quickly.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

theplayerx4734

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »

To clarify, the breaking apart would only happen if it was destroyed/disabled. So Onslaught is at low hull takes some torpedoes and some chunks break off where it took most damage.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »

If the purpose of armour cell values were modified slightly so they kept on recording damage taken after armour depletion, the armour cells that recorded the most damage could be used for determining fracture sources for the breaking logic.

It wouldn't require any new data structures, nor any additional processing time, and would create some correlation between damage inflicted & ship fracturing behaviour.
Whether anyone would actually notice such a subtle correlation is another consideration entirely.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »

To clarify, the breaking apart would only happen if it was destroyed/disabled. So Onslaught is at low hull takes some torpedoes and some chunks break off where it took most damage.
Oh, you're talking about after it's disabled?  Go look at this:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11240.0
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.