Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Does anyone look into Ryzen?  (Read 18432 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone look into Ryzen?
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »

AMD Graphics cards suck.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »

* blows raspberry *

Oh come on, AMD cards do not categorically suck. The manufacturer XFX maybe, as I'm not that impressed by them at the moment, but I won't generalize to the entire card lineup.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »

Nvidia's graphics card technology is objectively better, as is their drivers and the team behind them.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »

Nvidia's graphics card technology is objectively better, as is their drivers and the team behind them.

... and more expensive.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »

Have any evidence you care to share, or should we take your opinion as fact? I don't consider myself a fanboy of AMD at all (previous card was Nvidia and it worked great), but I did my research for this build and selected the rx 480 as the superior choice at my pricepoint. The rx 480 is benchmarking similar or better than the 1060 on a large variety of games, with higher forwards compatibility due to 8gb texture memory as opposed to 6gb, all while costing less.

Nvidia makes some fine cards and its true that nothing touches the upper end Nvidia cards for raw performance, but that comes at a significantly higher cost. AMD is either competing closely with or outperforming Nvidia in the $100-$300 price bracket, which has vastly more consumers than higher pricepoints.

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

I've always been a bit of an AMD fan as I see them as the underdog. Almost always gone an AMD card, though admittedly until now I wouldn't have even considered an AMD cpu because Intel's just been superior for years.

Just built a new pc with a Ryzen 7 1700X though and so far it seems pretty sweet.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »

Well, looks like I'm jumping on board the Ryzen hype train..... or rather, I was pushed.

The motherboard of my Dad's ageing Q6600 appears to have died, which obviously means I have to upgrade, so I can sell him my current machine as an upgrade  ;D

r5 1600, b350 & 16gig of ddr4 3000 on the way.
Holding off on a new gpu until a bargain 480/580/1060 comes along.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

My machine has been running very smoothly and quickly, though I suspect for me that has to do with the solid state drive rather than the processor.

I did end up getting a refund for the bad 480, and instead bought a 580 that was reasonable (Gigabyte for $239). A bit of a splurge, but no complaints from me so far.

Also, I saw some guides saying that you need a big power supply for the 580's, but I haven't found that. I'm running the 580 and a ryzen 1600 (not overclocked) off of a 550W gold supply and I haven't had any trouble.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]