Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4k issues  (Read 4934 times)

stupititykills

• Ensign
    • View Profile
4k issues
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »

Hey guys.  Haven't played in a bit, and with 0.8a on the horizon I'm getting back into it.  When I launch it at full 4k, I get the "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError" error that is usually fixed by using Java 7.  Problem is, it's on a clean install, and I can't do much troubleshooting as on any other resolution, while the game launches fine, the cursor is invisible, so I'd rather not stumble around in the dark if I don't have to.  Log file is too big to attach, I'll figure something out if you need it.
Cheers.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 4k issues
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

Hi - I think what you want to do is "disable dpi scaling" and run the game in something like 1920x1080 or thereabouts - whatever half your screen resolution is; see here for a bit more detail. 4k is not supported in various ways; even if you got it running (which you could be increasing memory allocation) text and icons would be tiny, etc.

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:17:49 AM »

Alex is correct. I had issues until I checked the disable dpi scaling in the compatibility tab of the starsector.exe properties. And I can confirm, while the ships and battles look cool in 4k, the font size makes the game unplayable. Alex, give us a bigger UI! Futureproof the game!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »

What I'd like to see is Starsector respecting DPI scaling from the OS by upscaling the presented window but keeping the same internal resolution.  It would look blurrier than true 4K, but is a necessary step.  I can tell you it sucks to be forced to turn off scaling, lower the resolution, log out and back in again in order to play Starsector on a laptop with a 4K screen.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »

Unless I'm missing something - there's a per-application setting to disable display DPI scaling if you right-click on the icon and go to properties, which you'd only ever need to do once each time you install the game.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »

If I'm on a 4K monitor, I'm going to have a high scaling factor like 150% to 200% depending on the size of the screen.  In the case of Starsector, I want it to cover 1.5x1.5 to 2x2 times more pixels for its "resolution" when under this type of scaling.  I most certainly would NOT want it to have a 1:1 ratio.  Perhaps it could be make a settings file change (or even something on the launcher later on) to multiply the game window size without changing the render size.

Edit: Note that I haven't tried DPI scaling changes on Starsector yet, so it may actually work... though it may be worth adding a scaler setting just so you can guarantee an even doubling of pixels rather than 50% or something.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:02:33 PM by Dark.Revenant »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »

I can tell you it sucks to be forced to turn off scaling, lower the resolution, log out and back in again in order to play Starsector on a laptop with a 4K screen.

Who has a 4K laptop screen outside of freakin' NASA!?  :o

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »

Who has a 4K laptop screen
Anyone with a current MacBook with a Retina screen, or a Surface Pro 4 for a start.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »

I can tell you it sucks to be forced to turn off scaling, lower the resolution, log out and back in again in order to play Starsector on a laptop with a 4K screen.

Who has a 4K laptop screen outside of freakin' NASA!?  :o

Many laptops in the $1000+ price range have one or offer it as an option for a modest (~$100) price increase.  Within a decade, 4K will be as ubiquitous as 1080p was.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »

Jeez. XD And here's me playing everything on an HP Pavillion.

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

Some of us play on 4k TVs, so the option does exist. It's not widespread yet, especially since the only video card which has shown to consistent run 4k @ 60fps is the Geforce 1080 Ti which I don't think is even available for purchase yet. My 1080 struggles @ 4k with many recent games.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »

Haha, that just goes to show I'm not a real gamer.  :P