Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: EVERSPACE  (Read 15375 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: EVERSPACE
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 04:16:52 PM »

The game looks fantastic and has locations I want desperately to explore & interact with but unfortunately there's basically no game there. FTL worked as a rogueLITE because it was a small management game designed for light, brief gameplay sessions.
Rip the guts of this game out and stuff it into the narrative meta-structure of an Armored Core game so I can explore these spaces while engaging in the story content and you'd have a GOTY from me. As it is, everything good in this game is backdrop for the core game, which isn't fun. Silicone Valley needs to hire people to go around giving devs lashes for every idea they pull from the top Kickstarter projects so they'll actually put thought into whether or not permadeath actually benefits their linear narrative (it doesn't)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »

LOL, yes.  If they'd ever really finish the story-arc (which is a jumbled mess) and the gameplay problems (worse mess, but better than it was) maybe it'll come together, though.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

The game looks fantastic and has locations I want desperately to explore & interact with but unfortunately there's basically no game there. FTL worked as a rogueLITE because it was a small management game designed for light, brief gameplay sessions.
Rip the guts of this game out and stuff it into the narrative meta-structure of an Armored Core game so I can explore these spaces while engaging in the story content and you'd have a GOTY from me. As it is, everything good in this game is backdrop for the core game, which isn't fun. Silicone Valley needs to hire people to go around giving devs lashes for every idea they pull from the top Kickstarter projects so they'll actually put thought into whether or not permadeath actually benefits their linear narrative (it doesn't)

I think The Long Journey Home might suffer from the same flaw; looks nice, but the core game play loop isn't that fun, and quickly becomes repetitive.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

I think The Long Journey Home might suffer from the same flaw; looks nice, but the core game play loop isn't that fun, and quickly becomes repetitive.

Right. The sad thing is the first time I jumped into a system to find a Corvette 20x out of engagement range, ignored it to look around at other stuff then crapped myself as a wall of cannon fire goes ripping past, I realized I'd much rather be playing as that
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »

Looks very nice, but gameplay is pretty shallow IMO. Couldn't enjoy dogfighting. AI is weird, enemy fighters trying to ram you pretty often. Game is too restrictive in weapon selection, you have to collect a lot trash to be able to craft some nice guns and mods, it's all too random. First half of the game you have to stay away from fighting and play scavenger, plus as of now game heavily lacks in content. I get it's roguelike, but a bit more variety would nice, as to choice of starting weapons/mods at least.

IMO Strike Suit Infinity is FAR superior in comparison despite being slightly in different category. Butt-clenching combat with outstanding blasting soundtrack. In the game where you can deploy your own allied fleet consisted of Carriers, Frigates, Fighter, Bombers, Corvettes, you name it. Brutal slugfest with nice graphics even today.

Really hoped EVERSPACE would be better but devs still might add some new content and improve the game in the future.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 01:02:28 AM »

AI is weird, enemy fighters trying to ram you pretty often.

It won't chicken out if you fly straight at it (because that would give you easy opportunity to shoot at it's back), but otherwise avoiding collision is not an issue.

But considering that you have fast strafing (full acceleration or near it) and even reverse (both are huge changes coming from X2/X3 background), avoiding collision or outright dancing around the enemy (in scout) is not that hard.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »

AI is weird, enemy fighters trying to ram you pretty often.

It won't chicken out if you fly straight at it (because that would give you easy opportunity to shoot at it's back), but otherwise avoiding collision is not an issue.

But considering that you have fast strafing (full acceleration or near it) and even reverse (both are huge changes coming from X2/X3 background), avoiding collision or outright dancing around the enemy (in scout) is not that hard.

Funny thing is, I was rammed more from the sides or the back, maybe that's because I exclusively play from cockpit, but I can't enjoy such games with any other cam, plus in EVERSPACE it's damn glorious. You almost never fight 1v1, it's 1v3+.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »

Honestly Everspace could go down in space-sim history if it has an actual campaign like Seth said in Strike Suit games, and if that campaign was good. Right now its baisically randomly generated "rouge-like" which lets face it. Sucks.

House of the Dying sun is so much better, simply because it has a actual campaign, even though gameplay, setting, and graphics are arguably inferior.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:02:07 AM by Linnis »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »

Funny thing is, I was rammed more from the sides or the back, maybe that's because I exclusively play from cockpit, but I can't enjoy such games with any other cam, plus in EVERSPACE it's damn glorious. You almost never fight 1v1, it's 1v3+.

Yeah, I play 3rd person with max FOV. Not doing that means gimping myself in pretty much any game.

Honestly Everspace could go down in space-sim history if it has an actual campaign like Seth said in Strike Suit games, and if that campaign was good. Right now its baisically randomly generated "rouge-like" which lets face it. Sucks.

It's a quite straightforward mix of FTL (run structure) and Rogue:Legacy (progression) mechanics. However it lacks finer nuances of FTL events and I'm not big fan of R:L progression (allows and to some degree requires grind to win). I'd rather have FTL progression where you can unlock more options, but do not get straight powerups for consequent runs.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »

Well, it has a "plot" now.

It's awful.  Frankly, it feels like the most tacked-on attempt to put a story on a game I've seen since, uh, I can't remember, actually. 

The game has gotten better in some ways, too.  Performance is a bit better.  But it's still feeling rather rough around the edges and I have no real confidence it'll get fixed.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 [2]