Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: pixel dimensions of turrets/hardpoints vs. weapon sprites  (Read 1716 times)

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
pixel dimensions of turrets/hardpoints vs. weapon sprites
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »

Something odd I've noticed while looking closely at countless sprites...

The hardpoints and turrets all seem to be even numbers of pixels, while actual weapon sprites are odd numbers of pixels.

Now I can perfectly see the reason with the actual weapon sprites, they basically need to be able to turn around
a center, so you'd want that a single pixel, hence odd number of pixels or else the animation would be off-center.

But then I don't understand why this isn't the case with hardpoints and turrets. Shouldn't these follow the same logic, i.e. the
'center' pixel of the weapon sprite should sit dead-center on the center 'swivel' pixel of the turret hardpoint?

Is there some magic reason, like is the ship editor able to place the actual swivel point in half-pixel steps, e.g. perfectly center
even with even number of pixels in hardpoints?

Or am I just suffering from OCD here, and nobody really cares about a pixel left or right?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking at a particular design line of ship sprites where the weapons are supposed to look fully
integrated when mounting them. If you imagine a front hardpoint, it isn't supposed to look like an installed weapon, but like
a basic version of the hull that had a whole section completely replaced.

From experiments so far, this really needs to be pixel-perfect, or the effect won't come out like I want it to.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: pixel dimensions of turrets/hardpoints vs. weapon sprites
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »

Yes, you can do half pixel increments. I don't know if the ship editor will but I know you can set it manually
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: pixel dimensions of turrets/hardpoints vs. weapon sprites
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »

Thank you so much for the quick response, this was really driving me crazy  :D