Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rare Ships  (Read 25781 times)

phantomime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Rare Ships
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »

Firstly, I would like to say ive been playing this for a while, and have laughed, cried, and gotten back around to loving various ships after the numerous balance iterations this game has been though.

That said, in the.. countless hours Ive logged in this game, i have yet to find a market where the Phase Teleporter ship (cant remember name - its a frigate) is available. Only on a recent play though did I finally find some place selling THE Carrier Capital Ship (again, can not remember name, the one with 6 flight decks).

Anyways, I would like to know how the 'buyable ship spawn' is determined. I get that there are commissions and levels of relationships required to actually purchase the ship in question, but Im only interested in the chance that it will show up on a given planet.

An addition would be to make boarding a powerful way to get faction rare ships. to do this, implementing EMP as way to permanently disable a ship, or adding weapons that aim at disabling a ship so that it can no longer fight so you can, with effort, pick a ship you are in combat with to later board if you succeed in combat.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »

First, you should read the most recent blog post (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/01/20/ship-recovery/) as it covers some significant changes to how you can acquire ships after combat.

As for buying ships at market, well, it is mostly based on RNG. Tri-Tachyon markets are the ones you'll be wanting to look at for the Hyperion (teleporter) and the Astral (carrier). The frigate should have a chance at showing up at any TT military market but the Astral will only show up at military markets that have high stability/size. Each month new ships will refresh (unless the market is full) so if you don't see the ship you want then buyout all the hulls and wait another month for the best chances.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »

One option is to clear markets regularly (that is buy every ship for sale, to force full restock every month). Haven't used that approach myself though.

Or:
- kill every other ship in enemy fleet except the one you need
- let it run away
- save
- catch and see if it is capturable. Reload if not.

But since both approaches are obviously gamey and tedious, it might be more worthwhile to just spawn the ship with console mod command.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »

Best solution is to use mods, especially if you're not big fan of taking commissions from factions as it will screw you in more ways than one.
Prism Freeport and Interstellar Bazaar is what you need. Waiting for needed ship to appear in any vanilla market is a pure sadomasochistic torture.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »

Clearing markets each month is a huge money sink.  It will drain millions of credits in a matter of months.  Think Gheed and gambling from Diablo II.  If your think making lots of credits in Starsector is too easy, you will have no problem spending it all away quickly cleaning out shops.

Hyperion and Scarab are obnoxiously rare.  Tempest slightly less so.  If you are unlucky, you may never see such rare ships for sale in the entire game.  Your best bet is to get one to locate a deserter fleet with such a ship, save your game about two in-game weeks in advance, and save scum ruthlessly until you capture it.  Attacking Tri-Tachyon may also be an option.  (Turn off transponder before attacking Tri-Tachyon if you are commissioned with them.)

Also, there is save-scum deterrence to prevent players from saving next to the fleet and replay battles to reroll ships.  Instead, player needs to save several in-game days away from the fleet before replaying battles.  This greatly extends save-scumming tedium, but it is still remains the easiest way to get rare ships.  It times much less time than farming bosses or cows in Diablo II for elite uniques (e.g., Windforce) or high runes (e.g., Ber and Jah for your Enigma) with your magic-find character.

As for Astral, the market in Magec is too small to spawn an Astral.  You need to go to Hybrasil and buy out capitals until it restocks an Astral instead of another capital.  That said, Astral (and Odyssey for that matter) is weak, given current fighter strength.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »

^ also, on my first playthrough, I've been save scumming a lot. In the process it overloaded memory, first I got brutal stutters than game started crashing. Not recommended.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

^ also, on my first playthrough, I've been save scumming a lot. In the process it overloaded memory, first I got brutal stutters than game started crashing. Not recommended.
Are you using java 8?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »

It's always been a source of fascination to me that you guys find this save scumm intensive gameplay more fun than say, just playing normally without that particular ship.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »

Save-scumming is nothing about fun.  It is the easiest means to an end, which is obtaining the most powerful and fun ships.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »

I save scum like none other in some games. "OH NO <insert character here>, YOU CAN'T DIE!!!!!!!"

But not Starsector for whatever reason. I actually kind of like losing a couple ships every now and then in the bigger fights. Losing all of them though... that triggers a rage quit.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

instead of wasting time scumming, why not just spawn the ship using the console command

absolutely baffling ???

phantomime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »

Firstly, thanks for the replies. :)

Secondly, I really hate having to do cheesy crap to get the thing that I want.. this game has almost an RP feel to it, dont like screwing with that. (ya, Im wierd)

Anyways, the annoying side of that is ridiculous spawn tables. Thankfully its ment that most of my cheesy tactics have had to change - still havent seen an Aurora in this save, I did get lucky and found (and bought for the first time EVER) the Astral. But Ive only ever fought against the Hyperion.. Stupid, Evil, Awesome, little jerk. I also got lucky and snagged the Apogee - that is another godly ship, better than the Aurora in that beams got nurfed, and it has STUPID cargo capacity, so when you blow though an entire fleet with it, you actually get to take stuff home.

Started off running a pair of wolves, needed cargo, once i had augmented engines picked up a Buffilo as a dedicated hauller, after that for bigger fights added 2 (1 medium missile, 1 medium beam, omnishield, frigates.. those i found were decently fast support ships to help the other wolf stay alive and got me out of the solo ship mentality. it also ment that i had losses to deal with. but both ship hulls were fairly common. eventually I needed some beef, picked up a hammerhead and ran a few variants.. the 2 Heavy Machine Gun, 2 swarm missile, 4 tactical laser build is easily one of the best I found, with those stupid morters being a close second - the RoF active lets this ship SHRED most others; other perks were: its efficient on CR, has a HUGE (for a destroyer) cargo hold, and a decent Max Burn - buffed with augmented engines, it keeps up with the frigates and buffalo. also, I dont cry when it goes boom.

I kinda liked the boarding mechanic ( http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/01/20/ship-recovery/ ) <-this will take some geting used too, but at the same time should fix the issue of 'rare' ships, as, we see them flying around INFINATELY more than we see them available to buy (and yes, commissions are hell, and it is annoying that you need them to buy from military, my relationship with tri-tachyon goes from 99 to 60 constantly.. WHO ARE THE 'KNIGHTS OF LUDD' they arent technically a faction as far as the 'Intel' screen is concerned, yet apparently i need to be hostile with them and Im not.. Im hostile to EVERYONE ELSE (thanks tri-tachyon for your constant wars) but ya.. more ship hulls to plunder I guess.

I have also noticed that, (and I have not been save-loading a lot), having played to lv50 or so, the game is starting to do some weird things, graphics glitchs..

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »

Are you using java 8?
Nope, always update to current version. Also have to add, my game was modded to oblivion, that might be another reason of quick mem bloat.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »

Nope, always update to current version. Also have to add, my game was modded to oblivion, that might be another reason of quick mem bloat.

Starsector runs on its own copy of Java in its installation folder, not the one installed to your computer. If you haven't messed with that Java, you're running the 32bit version which is severely limiting your memory usage, especially if you haven't edited the vmparams file. If you do keep that copy up to date, the newer versions of Java have been found to be unstable with Starsector which ships with 7-something.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »

Starsector runs on its own copy of Java in its installation folder, not the one installed to your computer. If you haven't messed with that Java, you're running the 32bit version which is severely limiting your memory usage, especially if you haven't edited the vmparams file. If you do keep that copy up to date, the newer versions of Java have been found to be unstable with Starsector which ships with 7-something.
I know, I have allocation fix, how else I could run many mods at once? SS+ actually started telling me that I'm running out of memory (8 GB 4 allocated). That's not a problem, really, when I play normally (usually iron mode) I don't have any issues at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4