Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Increase chance of Officer spawns at markets and one more item!  (Read 2722 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Increase chance of Officer spawns at markets and one more item!
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

The universe seems devoid of officers, which is odd because the sector is on wartime footing 100% of the time youre playing...there should be LOTS of officers and 1 or 2 even in small markets (3<)

Is there any line that can be changed to just increase the spawn chances?

Also, I would like to get rid of the "Cargo scan"  because of not having the transponder on...its TERRIBLY implemented and a bad mechanic all around....I got stopped by Hegemony in Tri Tach space, and fined for not running it in Hegemony space, and then fined again by a Tri fleet NOT RUNNING there own transponder.

In a system where Tri-tach was at war with Imperium, I got fined by tri tach fleets for running without it on while im trying to ambush Imperium convoys in the asteroid fields..

My rep was 80/100

Yeah..the whole thing is just dumb and broken and honestly adds very little to the game play in its current iteration, especially since the AI doesnt even follow its own rules.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Increase chance of Officer spawns at markets and one more item!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »

Also, I would like to get rid of the "Cargo scan"  because of not having the transponder on...its TERRIBLY implemented and a bad mechanic all around....I got stopped by Hegemony in Tri Tach space, and fined for not running it in Hegemony space, and then fined again by a Tri fleet NOT RUNNING there own transponder.

In a system where Tri-tach was at war with Imperium, I got fined by tri tach fleets for running without it on while im trying to ambush Imperium convoys in the asteroid fields..

My rep was 80/100

Yeah..the whole thing is just dumb and broken and honestly adds very little to the game play in its current iteration, especially since the AI doesnt even follow its own rules.
You were already told in the Discord chat that the Transponder mechanic and the mechanics surrounding it are basically hard coded. You were also told on how to get around it.

The universe seems devoid of officers, which is odd because the sector is on wartime footing 100% of the time youre playing...there should be LOTS of officers and 1 or 2 even in small markets (3<)

"officerMaxHireable" in the settings file increases the max number of officers that can be in game at once. I would not set it above 40
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »

faction fleets getting angry over your disabled transponder far from their own territories will be fixed in the upcoming patch:
Quote from: Alex
  • Fixed bug where a patrol far from their home market would care about your transponder status if you interacted with them

other than that though, i think it makes perfect sense that patrols would have a problem with you running with disabled transponder in their home territory, pretty much regardless of circumstances. because that's the thing: even if you're fighting their enemies, the patrol can't know that you're on their side if you do not identify yourself. especially where they are currently under immediate military threat, wasting a patrol's time by making them chase a fleet that turns out to be friendly or neutral is kind of a big deal.

and i don't think i've ever seen faction patrols with disabled transponder, but even if those exist: you are still an independent (although maybe allied) fleet in their jurisdiction. the sector as a whole isn't exactly known for being very fair and just, so i don't see why a patrol not following the same standards to which they hold the player is "just dumb and broken".

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »

My rep was 80/100

You were already told in the Discord chat that the Transponder mechanic and the mechanics surrounding it are basically hard coded. You were also told on how to get around it.

"officerMaxHireable" in the settings file increases the max number of officers that can be in game at once. I would not set it above 40

Hardcoding is fine, it can be decompiled, but a hint of where to start look would be nice. 

OfficerMaxHireable does not control spawn chance at markets. Along with an increased ship and battle limit, ive upped the number of hired officers yes, but ive had to use the command console to spawn them.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »

faction fleets getting angry over your disabled transponder far from their own territories will be fixed in the upcoming patch:
Quote from: Alex
  • Fixed bug where a patrol far from their home market would care about your transponder status if you interacted with them

other than that though, i think it makes perfect sense that patrols would have a problem with you running with disabled transponder in their home territory, pretty much regardless of circumstances. because that's the thing: even if you're fighting their enemies, the patrol can't know that you're on their side if you do not identify yourself. especially where they are currently under immediate military threat, wasting a patrol's time by making them chase a fleet that turns out to be friendly or neutral is kind of a big deal.

and i don't think i've ever seen faction patrols with disabled transponder, but even if those exist: you are still an independent (although maybe allied) fleet in their jurisdiction. the sector as a whole isn't exactly known for being very fair and just, so i don't see why a patrol not following the same standards to which they hold the player is "just dumb and broken".

I dont think this would ever happen given the tech level we are playing at.  There would be sets of IFF codes,  likely one a general ident and the other a tight coded and encrypted signal for just these sorts of occasions. Reminds me of a couple of episodes of The Expanse, when they had to alter IFF codes a few times.

Once you take a commission with a faction, youre basically handed a Letter of Marque, and your faction level is set accordingly---also youre given access to that Factions Military Market. This is a bit more the "allied" already lol. 

Once you get to 80+, my vision of it is that youre a lot more then "allied". 100/100 would be much more then that, you would basically be Person of Import with a title dependant on the faction(Duke, Admiral, Grand Vizier, Friend of the Lord High Fish,  etc whatever).

Also, mechanically in the game, there is no clear indication of where the "Home Territory" areas are...no borders, no signal on the screen..nada.  In the Corvus map, you can basically sit in Magec never have to worry about transponder tomfoolery anywhere.

Good to know that at least one aspect of Xponders is being fixed!!