Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to get Starsector to Run on Dedicated GPU instead of Integrated? (SOLVED)  (Read 6145 times)

Rydrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Recently bought a brand new Acer Laptop. (Aspire F5-573G-77BJ I7-7500U 2.70 GHz) It just released this december 2016

It comes with an Intel HD integrated graphics card as well as a Nvidia GTX950m

Starsector is the only game that I'm unable to get to run ON the Nvidia card.

I've followed multiple FAQ's and guides to put both Starsector and Java.exe as exceptions onto the Nvidia control panel. I've also selected the card to be the default for global applications, and also right clicked the starsector executable directly and chose "Use High Performance Graphics card"

My Nvidia card drivers are updated to the latest build available.

Yet despite all of these settings and re-installs. Whenever I run Starsector it continues to launch using the Integrated Intel HD graphics chip.

Any guidance and help will be immensely appreciated as I'm at my whits end after hours of messing with it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:40:06 AM by Rydrick »

Rydrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I should also state that I have edited Vparams to allocate higher amounts of ram as well as replace it with the currently Jre7u80 Build of Java in the game folder. Outside of that, I have made no changes to the game.

While the base game DOES run on the integrated Graphics card, FPS suffers when in large engagements so I would like to find a solution to being able to use my Nvidia card before I continue with anything else.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Of interest to Alex for the future; native applications can programmatically specify that they want to use the dedicated GPU:

http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/lwjgl-uses-wrong-graphics-card/37938/msg/362850/view.html#msg362850

Rydrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile

To elaborate further on my situation. I went into device manager and "Disabled" my integrated Intel HD card. This in turn switched off the Display monitor that I wave connected to the Laptop using a HDMI. Hadn't realized I couldn't use my Nvidia card to keep the cloned screen on the second monitor. I'll test further to see if I can get Starsector to run on the Nvidia card when not cloning the screen onto my display monitor but I had assumed this had nothing to do with it as all other games I've been playing recently have had no issues or been bottlenecked by displaying the desktop onto my home monitor.

So I tried running starsector on JUST the laptop with the Intel HD disabled and enabled. When Disabled I received an error:

Fatal:Exciting - Exception in LWJGL initialization.

When re-enabled. The game would still start under the Integrated Intel HD card and still not the Nvidia
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:24:56 AM by Rydrick »

Rydrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile

(SOLVED)

Nvidia apparently messed up their January Drivers

As Alex suggested in the troubleshooting guide

removing -server
from vparams and adding java.exe

Has fixed my Issue.

Back to space for me!