Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fighting an unkillable ship with no health  (Read 2376 times)

db48x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
fighting an unkillable ship with no health
« on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »

I don't think I'm going to be able to make a great bug report for this one, but I think last night I fought my own fleet.

I had just started the game, and I had two ships (took the starting option to have a second officer). I ran into a pirate fleet with the same type of ships, and I noticed specificially that the pirate fleet's second ship had the same name as my own second ship, The Third Moon of Mars. When I got into the fight, the pirate ships had no health bar; they showed as if their hull was already down to nothing.

Combat went on for a short time, and then suddenly I exploded. The fight was pretty quick, and I'm certain my own shields never went down. I think every time I hit the pirate ship, my own health went down. Maybe some kind of problem that crosslinked the datastructures so that my ships were in both fleets? I don't know; that doesn't really make much sense. Certainly the positions of the ships were independent. It was late, and I went to sleep instead of filing a bug.

What I do know for sure is that the pirate ship had no health, and couldn't be damaged.

Should there be anything in the starsector.log about fleet combats? I see lots of trade fleets, and system bounty probabilities, but nothing about the actual combat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: fighting an unkillable ship with no health
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »

Huh, that's... weird. Just to confirm: this is completely unmodded vanilla, right?

Yeah, there's little about this that makes sense - if the ships were sharing some data somehow - the hitpoints are just a member variable in the Ship class, so if they aren't the same exact object, it'll be separate for both ships, and, as you point out, the positions were separate, so that rules *that* out. And the hull bar would reflect the proper value for the ship.

Is it possible that your ship was at low combat readiness and blew itself up due to critical malfunctions, while the enemy ships were just on low health and never got hit on the hull and instead took any hits on shields/armor?

There's not much logging during combat, no.

db48x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »

Yes, completely vanilla. I was one day out from Jangalas (or however it's spelled), and readiness was at the normal 60%. I know his shields were down, and I suppose all the damage could have gone to armor, I guess. Like I said, not a really great bug report.

I still have the save, of course, but I tried reproducing it with no luck.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »

Thanks for the additional info. So odd! Never saw anything even remotely similar, but will of course keep an eye out.

I still have the save, of course, but I tried reproducing it with no luck.

Are you able to find the same enemy fleet and then engage it normally?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »

Since it is so early in the game, have you saved at all? If not more than once, you might be able to reload and refind that ship again. And if you can and reproduce the bug then you might want to send that save over to Alex
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »

This sounds about as bizarre as my mysterious 'empty battle' I encountered (and reported) years ago in vanilla.

Symptoms are wildly different though, so probably(?*) not related. (*unless it's an incredibly improbable threading issue that causes bizarre misconfiguration of the battle instance)

Wish I could find that original bug report...
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7666.0
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:57:27 PM by TJJ »