Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: When the patch finally hits, how're you gonna play?  (Read 24042 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: When the patch finally hits, how're you gonna play?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »

I will just plunge into the game head first and see where it takes me. Of course carriers and industry are points of interest, but if something else gets my attention first, so be it. What I can't imagine not doing, regardless of what else happens, is extensively exploring the Sector and reading all the new lore David has (hopefully) hidden for us :)

Only issue could be if the release is around March 3rd, when the new Zelda/Switch comes out. Then hard choices would have to be made (I'd probably just run back and forth between PC and TV like an excited chicken^^').
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »

unpack/install

do the Java thing (if still necessary)

search the config files

remove level cap

start, play excessively, indulging carriers and exploration mostly, I guess

restart whenever a new batch of the mods I got used to is updated

fiddle with the game files, trying to create my own mod for two months, then give up again because I have no talent

stuff the game with all the mods I can find

buy new machine to get it to run

play excessively till next patch is announced

be hyped for new features and somewhat unable to enjoy the current version

wait six months refreshing the forums every two minutes

repeat

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »

I like the idea of seeing what there is to do with the procedurally generated areas.  I'm afraid I'll discover the answer is "not much," as this is the first release, but I'd like to give it a try.  I'll start off bounty hunting to make cash and build up a small fleet, I guess.  Something subscribing to the battlecruiser philosophy of "can fight anything that can catch it, can run from anything it can't fight."  Gosh, it's been so long since I've played even the current version I'm not sure what I'll need for that, especially without ships from mods.  There's still will be a +burn speed hullmod, right?  Without some of the faster destroyers from mods, I don't like the idea of trying to escape tactical retreats in a dessie.  I also don't know what the supply situation will be like - I suspect I'll need a lot of supplies to get far out there, and it sounds like resupply options out there will be extremely sparse.  So maybe Geminifleet with carrier-focused officers and a few screening frigates/destroyers?

Regardless, I plan to at least attempt exploring the outer regions.  If I get bored with that I'll fall back on bounty-hunting in the core worlds, at least there will be some new ships to see and new salvaging mechanics to adjust to.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:49:27 AM by Adraius »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »

Only issue could be if the release is around March 3rd, when the new Zelda/Switch comes out. Then hard choices would have to be made (I'd probably just run back and forth between PC and TV like an excited chicken^^').

Strangely enough, this is my doomsday scenario. My hope is that the patch drops sometime in the next few weeks so that I can devote time to SS because Breath of the Wild has been extremely my thing for awhile now.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

Heh, seems there is some solid interest in trying out the new carrier and Industry playstyles! I'm probably gonna snag a Heron or Mora at some point so I can see'em in action for myself, but I don't think I'll pilot a carrier for this playthrough.

I wonder if there'll be ancient battlestations orbiting around dead worlds in distant systems! I hope to be able to at least see them in action even if they aren't fully hooked up to anything meaningful yet. Could always make'em drop a f-ton of salvage after battle!

Wish we could get a teaser on a new hull other than the Mora and the drone ships...

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »

How I'm going to play is:

- First thing to do, read through the codex and then poke in the descriptions.csv file as well as the missions text to read other materials not shown in directly in the codex like skills.
- Go in game and check out starting options and the new skills with the stats there.
- Try things out in a random fashion.
- Goal is a salvaging carrier fleet.
- Explore and push the random generator to the limits.
- Poke in the core files afterwards.

Other stuff:

- Put 'Mod Installation Guide' into update downtime and clear out a few things.
- Wait for core library mods to update. Wait even more for favourite mods to update.
- Update the guide as mods get updated.
- Shoot down silly questions and, if possible, aid new players having problems (like with java and the like).
- Watch NemoNaemo and FallenShogun as they explore 0.8 (and probably lose their fleets a lot. :D)
- Discuss stuff with community members on the Starsector Fan Chat Discord server.

Overall, looking forward to it!
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »

Is Alex implementing Codex "unlocks" for spoilerish stuff? Or is that not in yet? I think this question was asked before and it defs need to be in place for when "special" things are added like derelict hulls and ancient weapons that can only be found via exploration.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »

Is Alex implementing Codex "unlocks" for spoilerish stuff? Or is that not in yet? I think this question was asked before and it defs need to be in place for when "special" things are added like derelict hulls and ancient weapons that can only be found via exploration.

Since the Codex revamp looks like it's going to get pushed back again to some indeterminate future, the current approach is to prevent some things from showing up there at all. Exploration-via-Codex would be quite a letdown.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:35 PM »

Since the Codex revamp looks like it's going to get pushed back again to some indeterminate future, the current approach is to prevent some things from showing up there at all. Exploration-via-Codex would be quite a letdown.
Does this mean that you can't even unlock the info?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »

Yes. The unlocking business is a bit much to try to squeeze in right now.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »

Has the Centurion been removed from starter ships or given more generous frontal arcs for its guns? I feel that thing is kinda a newbie trap to start in and this patch could bring in a lot of new players—especially if a snazzy new trailer is released!

What do you guys think? Is the Centurion a poor starter ship or have you had good success with it?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

Has the Centurion been removed from starter ships or given more generous frontal arcs for its guns? I feel that thing is kinda a newbie trap to start in and this patch could bring in a lot of new players—especially if a snazzy new trailer is released!

What do you guys think? Is the Centurion a poor starter ship or have you had good success with it?
I'd say yes, it is crap. It IS a good wingman ship though!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »

As a playership, Centurion is terrible.  In early game, it is simply a shuttle with better defenses and flux stats (but eats more).

Squish Cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »

unpack/install

do the Java thing (if still necessary)

search the config files

remove level cap

start, play excessively, indulging carriers and exploration mostly, I guess

restart whenever a new batch of the mods I got used to is updated

fiddle with the game files, trying to create my own mod for two months, then give up again because I have no talent

stuff the game with all the mods I can find

play excessively till next patch is announced

be hyped for new features and somewhat unable to enjoy the current version

wait six months refreshing the forums every two minutes

repeat

Are you me?  Because this is exactly what I go through every. Single. Time.   ???

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »

We need a really good processor right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4