Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scripted events  (Read 4501 times)

frostphoenyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Scripted events
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »

Hey guys :)

I'd like to talk with you about something i just thought. Right now the missions are feeling like they are just custom battles where you couldn't set the options, with a short story explaining why we have these ships and why the enemy has those, basically.
Is it planned to introduce scripted events during campaign missions/battles, such as enemy reinforcements coming out from hyperspace, allied ships suddendly exploding because of spy sabotage, etc... ?

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Scripted events
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »

I'd like the ability to be able to do things from code-side in the middle of a mission, be they timed or triggered events. IE, having the player suddenly getting a bunch of available reinforcements when things look bleak, or having random enemy ships spawn around the map, or have message boxes like those in the tutorial pop up.

frostphoenyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »

Or have message boxes like those in the tutorial pop up.

Did you find any clue on how to do that right now?

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »

nope - I think its hard coded (the whole tutorial) afaik

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »

Yeah, it's hardcoded. There's a notion of triggers which will likely become mod-accessible eventually, but right now they're too half-baked for that.

Taking a step back, I can certainly see a much more involved mission system for Starfarer, with groups of missions being organized into "tours of duty", with ship/item/character persistence across those, etc. However, that's tangential to the direction of the game overall - it seems more important to forge ahead with the real campaign, rather than to keep adding features to missions. Those kinds of things would be nice to have later, but for now missions are a representation of the kind of battles that would take place in the campaign, and not the more elaborate scripted affairs.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »

Thats fine for now: Mostly just something that would be great to see down the line before the final release.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 01:39:02 AM »

Yeah, it's hardcoded. There's a notion of triggers which will likely become mod-accessible eventually, but right now they're too half-baked for that.

Taking a step back, I can certainly see a much more involved mission system for Starfarer, with groups of missions being organized into "tours of duty", with ship/item/character persistence across those, etc. However, that's tangential to the direction of the game overall - it seems more important to forge ahead with the real campaign, rather than to keep adding features to missions. Those kinds of things would be nice to have later, but for now missions are a representation of the kind of battles that would take place in the campaign, and not the more elaborate scripted affairs.
As long as the modder/player eventually receives full freedom when designing his own missions to plan & execute all manner of scripted events (delayed deployments, etc.) plus timers & triggers for same, I'm happy with the status quo while I wait for the above.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....