Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: [0.96] Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v3.8 (2023-08-26)  (Read 185777 times)

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v.3.4 (2019-08-20)
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »

LAN play is easy since bandwidth isn't a problem. One of you will need a desktop sharing app (read this thread, there are good suggestions). Then read the OP again for making this work.  Good luck!

NonEuclidGender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »

Been playing a lot of Starsector with this mod recently since you fixed the phase cloak thing, thanks a lot for the mod and that fix! The whole thing works surprisingly well over something like Parsec even with 200 ping(as long as the connecting players stay away from agile frigates), and has been the source of many, many long running playthroughs with friends. I'd like to suggest some changes I think would improve it though.

Co-op players currently(as far as I looked) don't have the ability to use carriers properly, lacking a key to toggle 'engage' and 'regroup'. Player2's lock-on also doesn't have enough range to really make use of long range missiles like Pilums.
The dotted aiming reticle for co-op players is a bit difficult to see when zoomed out, even locally for me but especially over stream, making it hard to use really long range ships like Sylphon's planet cracker. It would be nice if there was a alternative more defined reticle or the ability to have a two color high contrast reticle to make it more readable in big fights.

Some bugs that showed up during playtime too.
Spoiler
Bigger Scy Nation ship's like the capitals, when player2 is controlling them will vent at a certain flux level when not receiving direct damage as if being flown by AI. Every other function of the ships work fine.

Seemingly randomly autofire will turn off on potentially any ship regardless of player2's inputs, including them messing with autofire and holdfire in many combinations to try and fix it. The only fix I found is after the battle it happened in, to go into refit and flick the weapon group off autofire and then back on again. During the battle if the main player transfers into player2's ship when the bug happens, they will see autofire is all as normal and it will work fine but when player2 has control it stops working again. I will keep trying to see if I can find a way to reproduce this reliably but it's somewhat rare.
[close]

Thank you so much again for such a great mod!

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »

Been playing a lot of Starsector with this mod recently since you fixed the phase cloak thing, thanks a lot for the mod and that fix! The whole thing works surprisingly well over something like Parsec even with 200 ping(as long as the connecting players stay away from agile frigates), and has been the source of many, many long running playthroughs with friends. I'd like to suggest some changes I think would improve it though.

Co-op players currently(as far as I looked) don't have the ability to use carriers properly, lacking a key to toggle 'engage' and 'regroup'. Player2's lock-on also doesn't have enough range to really make use of long range missiles like Pilums.
The dotted aiming reticle for co-op players is a bit difficult to see when zoomed out, even locally for me but especially over stream, making it hard to use really long range ships like Sylphon's planet cracker. It would be nice if there was a alternative more defined reticle or the ability to have a two color high contrast reticle to make it more readable in big fights.

Some bugs that showed up during playtime too.
Spoiler
Bigger Scy Nation ship's like the capitals, when player2 is controlling them will vent at a certain flux level when not receiving direct damage as if being flown by AI. Every other function of the ships work fine.

Seemingly randomly autofire will turn off on potentially any ship regardless of player2's inputs, including them messing with autofire and holdfire in many combinations to try and fix it. The only fix I found is after the battle it happened in, to go into refit and flick the weapon group off autofire and then back on again. During the battle if the main player transfers into player2's ship when the bug happens, they will see autofire is all as normal and it will work fine but when player2 has control it stops working again. I will keep trying to see if I can find a way to reproduce this reliably but it's somewhat rare.
[close]

Thank you so much again for such a great mod!

Hey great that you find the mod useful! I'll work on the issues you pointed out this week and see what I can get sorted out.  Thanks for letting me know you like it!

If you (or anyone) wants to help, what I really need is a short video of people actually playing and talking.  I think that would be more compelling than the tech-demo video I have on the OP :P

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v.3.5 (2019-12-02)
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »

Version 3.5 is out, save compatible and what not.

* Made many values configurable in the CoOpCombatSettings.json
 * Increased lock-on range
 * Added engage/regroup toggle for carriers
 * Player 2+ aiming reticles are larger
 * Attempts at fixing Auto-Fire issue.

NonEuclidGender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »

Sorry if I don't post very often, been a bit sick. All the changes last patch are great, being able to have a co-op partner in a battlecarrier and going after targets they sick their fighters on in a faster ship is a lot of fun. The reticle changes made it much easier to see over a stream and zoomed out all the way even when theres tons of fighters and explosions all over the place. Also I have yet to encounter the autofire bug with quite a lot of playtime, it seems your fix works, yay!

I would like to record some gameplay of me playing with a friend and our normal comms, but it'd be from a very heavily modded game if that's alright. Speaking of mods I don't know if I should put this in the Scy thread but, after using some of the other ships in the Scy mod theres something that causes a good portion of them when in the hands of player2 to auto vent randomly at 40% or so flux, like the AI is still in control of that function since it seems to be normal behavior for Scy ships to want to vent at that level whenever they have a opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 03:21:18 PM by LtSnoWolf »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »

Sorry if I don't post very often, been a bit sick. All the changes last patch are great, being able to have a co-op partner in a battlecarrier and going after targets they sick their fighters on in a faster ship is a lot of fun. The reticle changes made it much easier to see over a stream and zoomed out all the way even when theres tons of fighters and explosions all over the place. Also I have yet to encounter the autofire bug with quite a lot of playtime, it seems your fix works, yay!

I would like to record some gameplay of me playing with a friend and our normal comms, but it'd be from a very heavily modded game if that's alright. Speaking of mods I don't know if I should put this in the Scy thread but, after using some of the other ships in the Scy mod theres something that causes a good portion of them when in the hands of player2 to auto vent randomly at 40% or so flux, like the AI is still in control of that function since it seems to be normal behavior for Scy ships to want to vent at that level whenever they have a opportunity.

Oh good, glad it's working better for you and that the autofire bug is fixed.  Hard to fix stuff you can't repro locally...

I'll take any recordings of this, mods are totally fine!

Mitroll

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2020, 05:28:22 AM »

How do Player2 and Player3 retreat? Player1 can retreat with enter, but player 2 and 3 just keep bouncing off the border.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2020, 01:43:38 AM »

How do Player2 and Player3 retreat? Player1 can retreat with enter, but player 2 and 3 just keep bouncing off the border.

Oh, hadn't thought of that, for now you can't but I'll get something worked out, might be a bit though.

Mitroll

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2020, 02:38:51 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to play a campaign with my friends, but we're pirates playing on a really difficult start, so no retreat is making it impossible.

Perhaps if there was a way for p2 and p3 to relinquish control back to the AI, they could do that and we could give a retreat order? Thanks for your hard work.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to play a campaign with my friends, but we're pirates playing on a really difficult start, so no retreat is making it impossible.

Perhaps if there was a way for p2 and p3 to relinquish control back to the AI, they could do that and we could give a retreat order? Thanks for your hard work.

You might try using ConsoleCommands `EndCombat` to force combat to end until I get a fix for this worked out.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v3.6 (2020-05-03)
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2020, 10:36:37 PM »

3.6 released

Changes:
  • Players can now change which ship they are controlling during battle ('Insert' key by default for player 2)
  • Players can now retreat. Simply order a retreat and switch ships until no one is controlling any retreating ships.
  • Changed how keys are configured to be a bit simpler to add additional players
  • Backwards compatible (but you might need to verify your config if you used more than 2 players)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:44:13 PM by Nick XR »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:55 PM »

Thanks a lot for this. I plan on trying it eventually.

NonEuclidGender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2020, 03:23:06 AM »

After using new version of the mod a lot with a few different people, encountered some more issues and have some ideas. But otherwise, have really been enjoying the ability to change ships (and off them) for the purposes of retreating and whatnot, makes having different CR times between players in long battles not that big of deal, because the other player can just hop into another ship while their old one retreats. Also has the fun effect of other players bailing the AI out of normally frustrating circumstances, like when the AI is being too passive or too aggressive, player2 takes control and can put the AI ship back into a favorable position.

Expand for bug

Spoiler
After testing it a lot, I have come to the conclusion that due to the fact playerships are typically under AI control and then selected, sometimes the AI messes with autofire groups turning some off, usually whatever it seems to consider the 'main' weapon group, IE the larges in a capital though sometimes its been things like Pilums, or a battery of medium weapons. To see this, if you watch the AI control the main players ship on autopilot, it toggles off and on autofire whenever it feels like it, on whatever groups the AI has decided it wants to do this with.
I imagine the AI just does this normally for every ship and so, whatever weapon groups are set to autofire at the moment of possession, are what player2 has, and not the autofire settings that were setup in the refit screen. Player2 toggling autofire on/off does not seem to fix this, neither does cycling weapon groups, only way to get around it is by being both fast and lucky, catching the AI before it messes with autofire settings.
I've had the AI turn off whatever weapon group Hephaestus Assault Guns and Storm Needlers were on with many ships as the best example I can give currently, I'm sorry I can't think of any exact vanilla ship/weapon combos that caused this to happen, its been a bit and since then I forgot the exact ships/weapon loadouts from the tests I did, it was fairly common though in normal play.

An issue where fighter wings assigned to ships with hangers in separate modules don't obey player2's target, they still obey attack/regroup, but attack whichever target they want.

There are also these various AI issues that I assume have to do with AI override stuff and other scripting things, where the AI has control over a function even while the ship is in the hands of player2, All SCY Nation ships vent whenever the AI wants, all Knight's Templar ships Priwen Burst whenever the AI wants, Some ships with special systems like a few Seeker ships have their inputs solely given to AI instead of player2 making them impossible to use. I don't know if you have the ability to fix these or not, but just thought I'd point them out incase there was a way, there's quite a few ships with hardpoints or inbuilt weapons in those mods that would be quite fun for coop players, but are effectively unusable because of these issues.
[close]

Also a few feature requests.
A target previous button as a option, as cycling through 10+ frigates again to target the one you want if you accidentally go past it takes a bit.
A indicator for whether or not fighters are on Attack/Regroup, in the chaos of big fights it can be easy to forget what setting they are on or see what exactly they are doing at a glance.
A way to see flux/hull levels on player2's ship if possible would be cool too, since the base-game UI that shows that for allied ships can be hidden quite often, at least anything that would help show whether or not player2 is winning their flux battle with a enemy ship if the main player is too busy to mouse over them, as suddenly pausing to check can be disruptive for player2's gameplay flow, especially with the latency of playing over a stream.
A way to possibly control omni-shields, either manual rotation with keys, maybe bindable set facings, or some other form of additional control for omni shields, like locking to the target, as the shield AI likes to get distracted by practically harmless frigates often, instead of real threats.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »

After using new version of the mod a lot with a few different people, encountered some more issues and have some ideas. But otherwise, have really been enjoying the ability to change ships (and off them) for the purposes of retreating and whatnot, makes having different CR times between players in long battles not that big of deal, because the other player can just hop into another ship while their old one retreats. Also has the fun effect of other players bailing the AI out of normally frustrating circumstances, like when the AI is being too passive or too aggressive, player2 takes control and can put the AI ship back into a favorable position.

Expand for bug

Spoiler
After testing it a lot, I have come to the conclusion that due to the fact playerships are typically under AI control and then selected, sometimes the AI messes with autofire groups turning some off, usually whatever it seems to consider the 'main' weapon group, IE the larges in a capital though sometimes its been things like Pilums, or a battery of medium weapons. To see this, if you watch the AI control the main players ship on autopilot, it toggles off and on autofire whenever it feels like it, on whatever groups the AI has decided it wants to do this with.
I imagine the AI just does this normally for every ship and so, whatever weapon groups are set to autofire at the moment of possession, are what player2 has, and not the autofire settings that were setup in the refit screen. Player2 toggling autofire on/off does not seem to fix this, neither does cycling weapon groups, only way to get around it is by being both fast and lucky, catching the AI before it messes with autofire settings.
I've had the AI turn off whatever weapon group Hephaestus Assault Guns and Storm Needlers were on with many ships as the best example I can give currently, I'm sorry I can't think of any exact vanilla ship/weapon combos that caused this to happen, its been a bit and since then I forgot the exact ships/weapon loadouts from the tests I did, it was fairly common though in normal play.

An issue where fighter wings assigned to ships with hangers in separate modules don't obey player2's target, they still obey attack/regroup, but attack whichever target they want.

There are also these various AI issues that I assume have to do with AI override stuff and other scripting things, where the AI has control over a function even while the ship is in the hands of player2, All SCY Nation ships vent whenever the AI wants, all Knight's Templar ships Priwen Burst whenever the AI wants, Some ships with special systems like a few Seeker ships have their inputs solely given to AI instead of player2 making them impossible to use. I don't know if you have the ability to fix these or not, but just thought I'd point them out incase there was a way, there's quite a few ships with hardpoints or inbuilt weapons in those mods that would be quite fun for coop players, but are effectively unusable because of these issues.
[close]

Also a few feature requests.
A target previous button as a option, as cycling through 10+ frigates again to target the one you want if you accidentally go past it takes a bit.
A indicator for whether or not fighters are on Attack/Regroup, in the chaos of big fights it can be easy to forget what setting they are on or see what exactly they are doing at a glance.
A way to see flux/hull levels on player2's ship if possible would be cool too, since the base-game UI that shows that for allied ships can be hidden quite often, at least anything that would help show whether or not player2 is winning their flux battle with a enemy ship if the main player is too busy to mouse over them, as suddenly pausing to check can be disruptive for player2's gameplay flow, especially with the latency of playing over a stream.
A way to possibly control omni-shields, either manual rotation with keys, maybe bindable set facings, or some other form of additional control for omni shields, like locking to the target, as the shield AI likes to get distracted by practically harmless frigates often, instead of real threats.

This is amazing feedback, thanks for taking the time to write it up!
My life is pretty hard right now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this.  The next time I have a chance to make changes to this, I'll look into all of your suggestions and issues and see what (if anything) can be done about them.
Thanks!

NonEuclidGender

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2020, 12:36:28 PM »

This is amazing feedback, thanks for taking the time to write it up!
My life is pretty hard right now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this.  The next time I have a chance to make changes to this, I'll look into all of your suggestions and issues and see what (if anything) can be done about them.
Thanks!

That is completely understandable, take all the time you need and I hope things end up well for you. If you'd like me to help test versions when you do get around to making them I would not mind, though my life is currently pretty hard too, hence the long time it took to get this feedback to you when I had intended to actually post a few months ago(and also forgetting the exact details of all the testing I did within that long gap of time)

I'm just glad the mod exists and you've done a great job trying to fix and adding things as they come up. I cannot overstate how fun the mod is and how much the features you have added since I first started using it have improved my friends experience. The mod has provided at least a hundred hours of enjoyment for me and my friends, even when using it over a streaming program with some hefty lag. The ability to use carriers has been a particular blast recently, as there is much delight from being behind the button that sends a swarm of Khopeshs to annihilate a ship.
So, regardless of what comes of any future version, thanks a lot!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7