Fractal Softworks Forum
October 17, 2017, 06:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Economy & Outposts (9/19/17); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v.2 (2017-02-02)  (Read 9969 times)
Nick XR
Commander

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »

Cooperative Multiplayer Combat v.2
-=Download=-

Now your friends can help out in combat with this shared screen/couch coop/multiplayer mod

In Action:

New UI Elements

Readiness color key:
  • Green = ready
  • Yellow = almost ready
  • Orange = not close to ready
  • Red = out of ammo

3 players

Features:
  • Enjoy shared screen cooperative play
  • New UI elements to support weapon and system cool downs
  • Pushbutton targeting of nearby ships
  • Shield AI to manage shield facing

-=Download=-

How to use:
1. Download & install this mod
2. Make sure this mod is enabled
3. What ever friend you want to have pilot a ship add "player2" to that ships name (on the refit screen)
4. During combat, have player2 use the keys specified in mods/CoOpCombat/data/config/settings.json to pilot their ship (if you change the settings, you'll need to restart Starsector)
5. For each additional friend that is playing with you, copy the "Player2" config lines and change "Player2" to "Player#" where # is their player number, counting up from 2 (Player3, Player4, etc)
6. When combat starts, zoom out more than usual so your friends show up on the screen
7. -optional- Install the Combat Analytics mod so you can see who's better.
8. -optional- 2nd player uses a controller and use a program like joytokey to have your controller emit keyboard key presses.

Mod compatibility:
 Requires no extra mods/libs to function, should work with any mod that doesn't assign very high priority AIs.

Player-game interface changes:
  • No mouse to control where a shield faces, instead an AI is used to "aim" the shield
  • No mouse to control where weapons aim, weapons can only aim directly forward.  Mitigate this by using in your group 1 only weapons that fire directly forward
  • No mouse to select targets for weapons, instead a new "cycle targets" command has been added which cycles through nearby targets
  • Camera/viewport stays centered on Player1, to compensate zoom out level has been greatly increased

Internet Play:
Possible if you're technically proficient.  The basic approach is to install a desktop sharing app (like VNC: http://www.tightvnc.com/)
then open up ports in your firewalls and allow access only from your friends IP.  Then have your friend connect to your VNC instance with their
VNC instance and it should work.  You'll need a great internet connection to pull this off, and even then it'll probably be sub-optimal.

PvP:
Also possible, you would need to create a scenario where an opposing ship had "Player2" in its name and then a player would have control of that ship.  Various things relating to fairness would need to be addressed, but it's at least possible to control an opposing ship.

What this mod is not and will not be (even though it might be cool):
  • An MMO
  • Allow you and a friend to both have different fleets on the campaign map

Using this mod in other mods:
This mod is covered by the MIT license, you can do what ever you want with this, no need to ask.  Just be nice and mention that this mod exists and where you got it from Smiley

Acknowledgements:
Some code related to rendering was taken from the excellent Leading Pip Mod, attribution is here by granted to Magehand LLC per licensing.

Change Log:

0.2 - UI elements for:
        * Selected weapon group
        * Weapon cooldown
        * System cooldown
        * Weapons have their own targeting lane
        * Switching between weapon groups now works (had to disable autofire)

0.1 - Created

Forum: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11598.0
Source: https://bitbucket.org/NickWWest/starsectorcoopcombat
License: MIT License (Do what ever you want, creators not liable)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:35:04 PM by Nick XR » Logged

Azmond
Captain

I'm but a man with a pencil.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »

That... looks pretty cool. I could see setting it up with particular hard-ware for player-two like a custom button set, Otherwise, having the AI controll the weapons and the Player controll the weapon-group would be an effective control I think.

I'd love to see a video of this, the GIF doesn't give it justice. xD

This is a pretty good idea though! I did something similar with my brother that was a fun experiment. It wasn't a mod, we just gave each other differnt controlls of the ship. I managed the thrust, weapon-groups and Ship-system (keyboard) he managed the shield, weapon fire, and steering of the ship... (the Mouse). It was fun, and difficult!

CEO and Founder of Metelson Industries!
I stream on Saturdays, usually space-ships. Smiley
Nick XR
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »

Cool to hear that you and your brother play!  I loved the coop mod for M&B (inspired this) and I feel like there's a lack of good couch-coop games in general.

Like I mention in the main post, I've had a good experience with a friend using a gamepad and this mod.  The controls actually feel pretty natural, and in general I think the controls for SS would translate really well to a dual stick controller.

SpaceRiceBowl
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

Ok wow, this might open up Starsector to an actual online multiplayer.

I really don't know what I'm doing...
Nick XR
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »

Ok wow, this might open up Starsector to an actual online multiplayer.

I want to manage expectations here, there's a strong limit about what can be done without it requiring hundreds of hours of Alex's programming time.  Maybe best case scenario is people play the heck out of this and something like multiplayer gets put on the road map.

Takion Kasukedo
Captain

The Embodiment of Defilement, TakionKasukedo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »

I look forward to seeing how far this can go.

The Embodiment of Defilement reigns over his part of the galaxy.

FEAR THE CASCADE.
Deshara
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »

Hey Alex, any chance of getting support for a in-combat split-screen of the combat field? Sounds like a smallish tweak that would open up a huge field of opportunities for mods like this to go hog-wild
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »

• No visual indicator of which weapon groups are selected
  • No visual indicator of cool downs

Mmh I recently uploaded a plugin to create rasterized UI elements, you may want to look it up for these issues.

Inventor Raccoon
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »

Hey Alex, any chance of getting support for a in-combat split-screen of the combat field? Sounds like a smallish tweak that would open up a huge field of opportunities for mods like this to go hog-wild
Yes. If you wanted it to have a use in normal gameplay, have the screen split if the last enemy in a battle is destroyed out of the player's sight, so they can watch as it explodes.

Arsenal Expansion, for all your slightly-altered-vanilla-ships-with-a-few-new-ones needs.
Nick XR
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »

• No visual indicator of which weapon groups are selected
  • No visual indicator of cool downs

Mmh I recently uploaded a plugin to create rasterized UI elements, you may want to look it up for these issues.

Wow, thanks, that's exactly what I need! 

That thread looks like a gold mine.

Mr. Nobody
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

Now it's just a matter of getting two instances of Starsector to talk together (AIs and all) and we can have PvP matches

On the left half of the Bell curve
MesoTroniK
Admiral

I am going to destroy your ships

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »

Never
Going
To
Happen
Ever

Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Furry!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »

Now it's just a matter of getting two instances of Starsector to talk together (AIs and all) and we can have PvP matches
The day that happens is the day that swine discover the secrets of flight, hell freezes over AND politicians start telling the truth and become un-corruptable!

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
Mr. Nobody
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:14 AM »

The day that happens is the day that swine discover the secrets of flight, hell freezes over AND politicians start telling the truth and become un-corruptable!

Depends.
If, somehow, one discovered the section of the code where a AI routine/Player input is translated into ship activity (moving, firing, etc), it could be possible to intercept the "commands" that regulate the movements of your own ships, send it to another computer, have this second computer replace the commands of it's player enemy's AI with the commands received (ie: translating Player1 allied ships movements into Player2 enemy ships movements and vice versa).

On the left half of the Bell curve
Techhead
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »

Multiplayer Offtopicness:
Never
Going
To
Happen
Ever

Years ago, people said the same about KSP, but modders found a way. If someone is sufficiently dedicated and skilled, they might just do it for SS. It might not be likely, but don't say never.

On topic:
This is really impressive. I just don't know how much I fancy playing without a mouse, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: