Now your friends can help out in combat with this shared screen/couch coop/multiplayer mod
New UI Elements
Readiness color key:
- Green = ready
- Yellow = almost ready
- Orange = not close to ready
- Red = out of ammo
- Enjoy shared screen cooperative play
- New UI elements to support weapon and system cool downs
- Pushbutton targeting of nearby ships
- Shield AI to manage shield facing
How to use:
1. Download & install this mod
2. Make sure this mod is enabled
3. What ever friend you want to have pilot a ship add "player2" to that ships name (on the refit screen)
4. During combat, have player2 use the keys specified in mods/CoOpCombat/data/config/settings.json to pilot their ship (if you change the settings, you'll need to restart Starsector)
5. For each additional friend that is playing with you, copy the "Player2" config lines and change "Player2" to "Player#" where # is their player number, counting up from 2 (Player3, Player4, etc)
6. When combat starts, zoom out more than usual so your friends show up on the screen
7. -optional- Install the Combat Analytics mod
so you can see who's better.
8. -optional- 2nd player uses a controller and use a program like joytokey to have your controller emit keyboard key presses.
Requires no extra mods/libs to function, should work with any mod that doesn't assign very high priority AIs.
Player-game interface changes:
- No mouse to control where a shield faces, instead an AI is used to "aim" the shield
- No mouse to control where weapons aim, weapons can only aim directly forward. Mitigate this by using in your group 1 only weapons that fire directly forward
- No mouse to select targets for weapons, instead a new "cycle targets" command has been added which cycles through nearby targets
- Camera/viewport stays centered on Player1, to compensate zoom out level has been greatly increased
Possible if you're technically proficient. The basic approach is to install a desktop sharing app (like VNC: http://www.tightvnc.com/
then open up ports in your firewalls and allow access only from your friends IP. Then have your friend connect to your VNC instance with their
VNC instance and it should work. You'll need a great internet connection to pull this off, and even then it'll probably be sub-optimal.
Also possible, you would need to create a scenario where an opposing ship had "Player2" in its name and then a player would have control of that ship. Various things relating to fairness would need to be addressed, but it's at least possible to control an opposing ship.
What this mod is not and will not be (even though it might be cool):
- An MMO
- Allow you and a friend to both have different fleets on the campaign map
Using this mod in other mods:
This mod is covered by the MIT license, you can do what ever you want with this, no need to ask. Just be nice and mention that this mod exists and where you got it from
Some code related to rendering was taken from the excellent Leading Pip Mod, attribution is here by granted to Magehand LLC per licensing.
0.2 - UI elements for:
* Selected weapon group
* Weapon cooldown
* System cooldown
* Weapons have their own targeting lane
* Switching between weapon groups now works (had to disable autofire)
0.1 - Created
License: MIT License (Do what ever you want, creators not liable)