Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Questions regarding interface  (Read 2915 times)

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
Questions regarding interface
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »

Is there a way to shrink weapon lists in combat mode somehow? This it one of the main reasons I don't like flying big battleships, weapon ui take upon literally half of the screen... Why not just pop weapons you currently use instead of highlighting one? I'm sure most players would know what groups they assigned on what key.
Also curious, in case I missed something, are there any interface tweaks coming in 0.8 which may address this stuff?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding interface
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »

Seems Alex has been adding a lot of UI improvements and quality of life features but I haven't heard anything about what you are specifically interested in, sorry.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:12:37 AM »

I'm less bothered by my ship's weapon list rather than the one displayed when targeting an enemy ship! I never ever used it since it's easier to check the weapons sprites, and it can take quite some space.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »

Alex definitely said something about how the combat UI is not final. Puh, but that was a long time ago.

And yeah, a collapsing weapon list was not on the agenda IIRC. I'm not sure, I think it would be better to make it more compact from the getgo. A first step would be to write the damage type as a symbol, that saves a line per weapon type. And then, maybe don't show only the first weapon from a not-selected group?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »

I'm less bothered by my ship's weapon list rather than the one displayed when targeting an enemy ship! I never ever used it since it's easier to check the weapons sprites, and it can take quite some space.
Yeah, it can definitely take up some space, especially when you target bigger ships with more weapons, but that didn't bother me as much as my own weapon list, and I find enemy targeting function rather essential. Plus I'm not to good to spot weapons by sprites yet, so list is quite helpful, but still, it's not that important, and if both, in targeting mode and in our own weapon lists will be shown only those we currently have on, that would be more helpful. But it still needs some thinking how to best tackle it, because I'm sure there would be some players who have many weapons assigned to single group, and even with tweak I suggested, it would be inconvenient for them. Still, I don't see any use in showing other weapon groups instead of one we currently have equipped, but that might be only me...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »

Still, I don't see any use in showing other weapon groups instead of one we currently have equipped, but that might be only me...
It is useful on variants that you are not accustomed to. But overkill in terms of UI space used most of the time (especially noticeable on Onslaught and alike).

Compact weapons groups could work like this:
One row of up to 5 indicators for auto states (also highlight active one and gray-out out of ammo) + active group details below it (as it works now).