Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sorry to ask a noob question about missile  (Read 18564 times)

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
ECCM
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »

wasn't very impressed with the ECCM package speed boost, so i edited it from 10% to 200% and OOOPS broke my gameplay. *wanders back and changes it to 20%* (don't want to get murdered by some pirate gryphon)

I'm just so much a fan of regenerating missiles (i tend to solo alot of battles, if i can help it), although Stormbringer is right about how devastating sabots are - deleting the primary threats...although if the enemy has sabot it's pucker time!

oh! i didn't know point defense could help against 2nd stage sabots; I'd just assumed 2nd stage was immune to PD

EDIT: ick..."20%" was "25%" but a missile heavy pirate fleet cleaned my clock. lol. The problem with trying to make ECCM package stronger to boost the wimpy long range explosive regenerative missile pack (LRM pod medium) is that it turns all the other faster missiles into screaming death packets
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:02:54 AM by majorfreak »

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
some quotes from around the forum
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »

Missiles that reload, do good damage and are good at hitting things don't really work from a balance perspective, especially for the very common small missile mounts. the main drawback of most damaging missiles is that you can (usually) only use them to add burst damage or hit a target outside your normal weapon range, but the limited ammo prevents you from using them as a primary weapon.
  There are still a few missiles that you can just keep on autofire and that don't just do EMP or fragmentation damage:
  • Blackrock has the Scalaron Pulse Launchers (small and medium). their missiles are very slow, so they are not good at hitting fast targets. but they have good tracking, are hard to shoot down with PD, and they hurt when they do hit. the small version only fires for about a minute at full rate, but they never run out entirely, and the Expanded Missile Racks hullmod helps as well.
  • Tiandong Heavy Industries has Muscle LRM for small and Apsis LRT for medium mounts. they have long firing delays, but aren't based on ammo (similar to Salamanders) and have very long range. Muscle has very low dps, but its other advantages still make it quite useful against lightly armored targets. Apsis being a "long-range torpedo" is easily avoided by small targets, but it's mobile enough to rather reliably hit larger targets, and does a lot of damage with each hit.
  • Diable Avionics' Thrush LRM (medium) also has large ammo stores, is fast and has very long range. the main missiles will usually miss small targets, but they explode into a cluster of Micro Missiles if they pass by the target they were aiming for.
  • Junk Pirates' Grapeshot (despite doing fragmentation damage) and Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering's AMM Blisters are really good for small mounts... but i actually feel they're both somewhat overpowered, so i don't like using them, personally.
  I hope that helps a bit. if you have any other questions, or just feel like chatting, there's almost always someone online in our Unofficial Discord Server for either. :]
Check the codex on weapons and look through all the missile weapons for small mounts. Best weapons depend a lot on hull and intended role, but I would recommend having a look at:
  • Diamonddust MRMs (kinetic submunition missiles) from the AI War mod pressure very well.
  • Traceurs LRMs from Dassault Mikoyan are more or less superior salamanders (more EMP damage, more frag damage, and a beginning magazine) which will probably be nerfed soon.
  • Muscle LRMs or micro missiles en masse.
hmmm...i wonder if stormbringer is referring to a forum codex or the vanilla one, ingame? that is actually a good idea: listing all the weapons from all the mods (with stats)...that be neat. haven't found one yet though

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: ECCM
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

oh! i didn't know point defense could help against 2nd stage sabots; I'd just assumed 2nd stage was immune to PD

I believe it's treated as a missile but the issue is it's so fast that even though it might technically be interceptible you'd need a very specific setup.

hmmm...i wonder if stormbringer is referring to a forum codex or the vanilla one, ingame?

Yeah, in the in-game codex I just looked at all the weapons in the small missiles filter to see if they had the "Reloads" stat.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:58:52 PM by stormbringer951 »
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds
Pages: 1 [2]