Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Question regarding the Expanded Magazines  (Read 8185 times)

MisterSpock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question regarding the Expanded Magazines
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:23:46 AM »

So what does Expanded Magazines exactly do? Wiki says:

"Increases the ammo capacity or the number of charges for ballistic and energy weapons by 50 percent."

I didnt even reconize that ballistic have ammo capacity

also 2nd question: How do i recruit more captain to my fleet?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding the Expanded Magazines
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:38:49 AM »

"Increases the ammo capacity or the number of charges for ballistic and energy weapons by 50 percent."

Ballistics use to have ammo but they don't anymore
To recruit more officers, open the coms window on a planet and look for the people with "Mercenary Officer" or something close to that in their box. Click them and you should be able to hire them if you have the credits. Note that not all planets have Officers to hire so you need to visit several.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »

Expanded Mags still has its uses.

There are still quite a few energy weapons with charges and they tend to be very flux efficient/powerful. The Autopulse, for example, can normally lay out 3000 damage over 20 shots (in 2 seconds!) but with Expanded Mags, that number increases to 4500 damage in 3 seconds. It makes the alpha strike potential for the weapon extremely high. Burst PD also benefits from having more charges available at any given time.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »

all ballistic and energy weapon can have limited ammo or charges, but most have neither. the ammo/charges can either be regenerating, to create a weapon that has high burst but poor sustained DPS, or they can limit the weapon to being fired a specific number of times per battle before it runs out and becomes useless. all ballistic weapons used to have the latter, but iirc the only vanilla weapon that still uses a limited, non-regenerating number of shots now is Antimatter Blaster. some mod weapons make use of either of these limitations as well.

Expanded Magazines increases the available number (rounded down) of burst-shots for weapons with regerating ammo/charges, as well as the available number of total shots per battle for weapons with non-regenerating ammo/charges.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »

1) save your game, while at port, and play around with the Autopulse laser in the simulator; then add "expanded magazines" and go into the sim again and look at how much the "charges" stat looks ingame - along with the actual gameplay effect. quite impressive (and a bit more than 50 percent actually)

2) there is a settings file in your starsector/starsector-core/data/config game folder that allows you to alter many settings. i personally have max player officer hire edited to 20 (with 25 ships in fleet) ...i personally wanted a skill to increase that, and initially roleplayed that when i added a point in leadership i'd edit the settings. now? *** it - permanent fix
Code
	"officerSkillIncreasePerLevel":3,
"officerMaxLevel":24,

"officerMaxHireable":40,
"officerPlayerMax":20,

"baseRepairRateFrigate":10,
"baseRepairRateDestroyer":7,
"baseRepairRateCruiser":5,
"baseRepairRateCapital":3,

"suppliesPerMarinePerDay":0;
"suppliesPerCrewPerDay":0;
"suppliesPerCargoUnitOverCapacity":0.1;