Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Ship Recovery  (Read 97717 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Recovery
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »

Just fair warning, its a very, very slippery slope my friend.  ;D I said that EXACT thing back in 2013. "Oh I would love a couple more small mounts and a flight deck on that Eagle. It would really be like a SD then!"

...Now here I am 4 years later still working on a conversion mod that changes just about every ship in the game in some way, and adds a bunch more custom stuff I'm still working on. It just.. kind of happens. lol

:o Duly actively noted, but I'm fairly convinced my subconscious is gonna file this under "Meh". XD Not gonna lie, that Mule+Shepherd Hangar was hugely satisfying to make... But don't forget it wasn't my idea, it was Sy's! I actually have very few other thoughts on kitbashing.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »

Also Morrokain, I'm guessing that converted Eagle you mentioned is the one currently set as your profile image? ;)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »

Borer Mule works surprisingly well, even AI vs AI. the drones do a good job of flanking the target, slowly but surely drilling through armor, and quickly maneuver to take out most enemy Salamanders before they get in range of the Mule(M)'s ballistic PDs. they're not gonna last long enough to be useful in bigger engagements though, even with the large number of replacement drones. so now i have yet more reason to look forward to v0.8. :D

Spoiler

(the yellow beam color comes from Tarti's Lightshow, in case anyone's wondering.)
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »

Awesome!  ;D Super-happy to hear it's working out for you.

By the way, might as well ask, what's the weapon attached to the rear end of the Mule (M) in that image? I'm guessing it's from a mod?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »

yep, SCY Defense Autonailer, pretty good ballistic PD.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »

Haha, fab. ;)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »

Also Morrokain, I'm guessing that converted Eagle you mentioned is the one currently set as your profile image? ;)

Ha you noticed that eh? Thats actually a super out-dated sprite from years ago before I decided on a total-conversion combat overhaul format. The closest current equivalent to that in the mod would be this.

Spoiler
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »

The closest current equivalent to that in the mod would be this.

Whoa. :o Fairly surprised you're still referring to that as a Heavy Cruiser, what with all those upgrades. I'd note it as a Battlecruiser at least.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »

The closest current equivalent to that in the mod would be this.

Whoa. :o Fairly surprised you're still referring to that as a Heavy Cruiser, what with all those upgrades. I'd note it as a Battlecruiser at least.
It seems a bit OP and boring to me. .5 shields, 3 decks, no ship system, 4 medium missiles, and 14 small energies?! I mean, geez...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »

Aye... Hopefully it's super expensive. XD

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »

It seems a bit OP and boring to me. .5 shields, 3 decks, no ship system, 4 medium missiles, and 14 small energies?! I mean, geez...

Its a total conversion:  ;)

Thats a standard "Heavy cruiser" loadout in the mod. All ships have more weapons but they are smaller and generally fire less often, creating a staggering "barrage" type feel to combat. An onslaught, for instance, has over 20 small weapons (24 off the top of my head), 9 medium weapons, 4 large weapons and 2 flight decks alongside an accelerated ammo feeder. Oh and 4000 armor and 40000 hull.

It can still be killed by swarming destroyers with frigate support pretty easily though  :) (verified in dev-mod simulation tests)

The ship system for this skin in particular isn't in yet, Still a W.I.P because that one may require custom scripting like the new fast missile racks did and I'm not sure if I will use one of the new systems instead to save the considerable headache that can potentially present. Plasma Jets in particular seems like a good fit if I want to make it a raider. But sci-corps are more exploration/defensive so maybe fortress shields to further cement the civilian-esque defensive siege style... I don't honestly know yet.

Fighters are smaller/weaker, way faster and far more numerous. Anything cruiser and above usually has a few flight decks. Its like they are extendable "weapons" to provide long range fire support and missile interdiction with a different resource bar than flux and with different mechanics involved. That's why the new update is required before release.

So its not really OP when positioned against the spectrum of the mod.. but if using Vanilla weapons and fighters ohh yes haha that would be crazy. Assault weapons don't even generate flux in my mod. Only strike weapons, fire support weapons and certain powerful ship systems.

Its all very different and won't be for everyone for sure, but its closer to what I personally enjoy in both visual and tactical styles. (would be too long to explain here and this is off topic enough as it is  :P )

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2017, 02:45:44 AM »

Well, just caught up to all the SS blogposts I've not kept track of over the month.

It's certainly invigorating to know that I called this 2 years ago :I

Good stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]