Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Ship Recovery  (Read 97718 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Ship Recovery
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:20:27 PM by Alex »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »

Nice  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »

I held my breath until the you can “restore” a ship to peak condition bit.

What happens when a several times over rescued ship has all d-mods already on it? Is it just non-recoverable from then on? Does it just stay there?

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »

Autofit! Does that imply procedural variants on ships generated in the campaign as well?

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

I dunno if I want to make a suggestion about this proper as I've never been certain it was a great idea, but...

When I first started playing Starsector I thought I could increase the chances of recovering ships by destroying them "gently."  Basically, avoiding damage post-kill, as well as using a greater proportion of EMP damage to disable it before destruction.

So, have you ever considered giving players in-gameplay ways of increasing their ability to capture ships?  Using things like EMP weapons to disable it before/instead of killing it; it would be time-consuming and tactically not very viable (as other ships can come in to assist before you're done) but if you're clever enough or simply have the overwhelming firepower to do so it would allow you to more easily secure ships.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »

I held my breath until the you can “restore” a ship to peak condition bit.

Ha! Yeah, I can see that :)

What happens when a several times over rescued ship has all d-mods already on it? Is it just non-recoverable from then on? Does it just stay there?

Restoring a ship removes all d-mods, so at that point it's just new again.

A several-times-recovered ship will just have more d-mods, up to 4 total, and will cost more to recover - a base multiplier, and an extra multiplier for each d-mod.

Autofit! Does that imply procedural variants on ships generated in the campaign as well?

Not for this release, but there's definitely the potential for it. Performance-wise, it's probably not good enough to do for every ship being created, so would have to be a bit more clever (e.g. outfit enemy ships when you encounter them), etc.

So, have you ever considered giving players in-gameplay ways of increasing their ability to capture ships?  Using things like EMP weapons to disable it before/instead of killing it; it would be time-consuming and tactically not very viable (as other ships can come in to assist before you're done) but if you're clever enough or simply have the overwhelming firepower to do so it would allow you to more easily secure ships.

Yeah, I've thought about it and I think it's come up before. I'd just as soon stay away from it because of how much it would mess with the AI. Either they'd be overkilling something you didn't want overkilled, or they'd be getting taken out while trying to be too cautious. Plus it's not at all certain that this would be more fun, and might indeed feel required to do more often than the player would like.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »

Very interesting, but I already maxed out my "looking forward to play this update" already... Oo

I have a couple of questions though:
Does construction rigs have any role regarding recovering ships during the battle? Or do they just stand back in a corner?

And how does the variant auto outfit manages mods? If weapons have to mention what they are upgrade or downgrade of, it could represent several hundreds of weapons to check with all the currently active mods. What kind of tags can we expect to have?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:00:52 PM by Tartiflette »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

Woot!  :D

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »

This is great - the risk of losing allied hulls is the main reason I've tended towards a solo playstyle, where if I lose a ship at least it's my own fault.  Having ways to mitigate that risk will make a tremendous difference here.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »

Yummy

Very nice!!

I have no ambiguity at all about this update.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »

This is going to be... Interesting to do a D sprite version of every single ship in mods.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »

Well, there goes the desire to save scum.  Huzzah!  Great work Alex.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

If boarding is gone, are marines gonna just be another commodity for now (a few things current hint at ground/station based ops), or are they kaput entirely?

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »

Glorious. Just glorious.

I am so looking forward to this update. As is everyone else no doubt.

What are the stats on the new D-mods anyhow? I mean, currently, its something like 30-50% reduction in whatever it effects. Guessing a 10-20%?
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Swarmbot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »

Will you be able to remove the (D) hullmods from Luddic Path ships?  If so, I would be willing to spend the credits and turn them into front line ships to hold the enemy back before my main fleet makes it to the middle of the map.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14