Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't run Starsector from exe or bat  (Read 9050 times)

Clutch31313

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Can't run Starsector from exe or bat
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »

PM'd the file contents.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »

Aha - looks like it's still OpenAL messing with you, then. Could you run a search in your C:\Windows folder for any OpenAL*.dll files and delete them? There should be a system32/OpenAL32.dll and possibly some others. That... should be safe, provided it's done carefully, And it also shouldn't break other applications on your system. But as always, messing with files in the windows folder should be approached with caution.

Basically, I think the issue is that there's a corrupted version of the OpenAL dll in the windows folder somewhere and that's being used instead of the one that the game comes with, despite being explicitly told not to. Usually, installing OpenAL (like you did) fixes the issue, but it doesn't seem like it did here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »

Ah, right, just saw your PM - yeah, it's definitely OpenAL related.

Clutch31313

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »

Deleted the two OpenAL files (System32\OpenAL32.dll & SysWOW64\OpenAL32.dll) that appeared in search. Reinstalled the game, and am now getting the "Fatal" error window on startup again.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »

Definitely seems like a bad version of openal is being picked up, though I'm not sure if java/opengl/lwjgl uses any special environment variables for resolving native libs?

It seems most likely that another (badly behaved) program that uses openal has added itself to your system path, and possibly overriding any system-wide openal library.
So check all the locations in your %PATH% environment variable for openal implementations.

Though isn't this something Starsector can account for with its resolving/linking of JNI native libraries? Bug/limitation of LWJGL?

:edit:
Ah yes of course, Java uses "java.library.path".
I can't see how an incorrect openal version could be picked up  :-\
Unless Java's JNI library resolution order checks %PATH% before %java.library.path% ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:08:53 PM by TJJ »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »

Ah yes of course, Java uses "java.library.path".
I can't see how an incorrect openal version could be picked up  :-\

(You'd think that, but it happens anyway. Because windows.)

Deleted the two OpenAL files (System32\OpenAL32.dll & SysWOW64\OpenAL32.dll) that appeared in search. Reinstalled the game, and am now getting the "Fatal" error window on startup again.

What's in the log this time around? There have been a few "fatal" errors so I'm losing track a bit :)
Pages: 1 [2]