Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another new player here!  (Read 3087 times)

oldbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Another new player here!
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Longtime fan of these types of games...

I chose "Merchant" and "Normal" for my first try... yeah, that was an exercise in pain  :D

Watched a Youtube vid, realized I should choose "Easy" and some form of bounty hunter.. yeah, starting with 3 ships was WAY easier!

Coupla questions now that I've gotten my first little carrier and a few fighter squads to add to the starting 3 ships:

- no plans to assign a crew member to fighter squads? Shame... would be cool as a "squad commander/ace" type thing... maybe this is moot since v08 will make fighters a "weapon"? (if I'm reading is all correctly)

- from what I can read of v08, it looks like the starmap update is in, but still no industry?

- awesome game (okay, that wasn't a question)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Another new player here!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

Officers cannot be assigned to fighter wings.  Fighters will become weapons in 0.8.  There will be industry skills, but that does not mean we will get outposts.  Notice that a skill that looks like Construction has moved from Technology to Industry.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »

Just as my personal input:
Choosing easy is a big mistake because by the mid-game you will be steamrolling pretty much anything. It's not fun and it won't teach you much about combat and micro on global map. I'd rather advice you to start on normal but use Steiner Foundation mod (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10398.0), it will help you great deal in the beginning and won't ruin mid/end game for you.

Consider using some mods, they improve on experience and fun factor a LOT.

Starting as trader is hard, but sometime ago I felt rather masochistic and after many failed attempts (on iron mode mind you) I finally managed to get on top, now I'm at 8 mil credit mark and having a blast, so if you really wanna play as trader, it's possible, but you'll have to save scum a bit more in the early game.

Assigning officers to wings wouldn't make much sense. You also have to consider your officers personality, it plays a big role in how ship behaves and it's survivability/assault capabilities, so be mindful about it.

Yeah, game is truly pretty awesome.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »

The biggest issue with Easy is all the combat buffs and no campaign buffs. It kinda tricks someone with the fast and fun combat then BAM, here is the supply bill, have fun getting more!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

oldbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:09:07 AM »

Cool - thanks for the 'Easy' advice... I'm not too far along, so starting over isn't a big deal.

I have been playing around with the Mods and wow - the advice to solve errors was spot-on (I had both the graphical artifacts and the OOM save error). I was able to resolve both by just reading a few posts here. This community seems great.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »

welcome! :]

i think starting on easy is fine, if you keep in mind that it really makes the game a lot easier. i also recommend restarting on normal difficulty soonish, but easy is still a good way to learn the important gameplay elements. and yeah, starting as trader or smuggler is pretty hardmode, although early-game in general is currently more punishing than it should be, especially for new players.

to add to Megas' answer to your industry question: there will be some first industry elements like surveying planets and related skills, but no outpost building yet. the tons of new, procedurally generated star systems will already have purpose for exploration, though.

as for mods, i second Seth's suggestion to start with Steiner Foundation, as it's specifically intended to make the campaign start a bit less punishing. Starsector+ fixes some of the more glaring balancing issues in vanilla and adds some new skills. and Ship/Weapon Pack adds a bunch of content that blends in very well with vanilla.
Underworld and Dynasector also expand the vanilla game very nicely, but they can also make the game a bit more challenging, so you might wanna hold off on using those for now.

i wouldn't recommend adding other big mods immediately though. with vanilla, Ship/Weapon Pack and maybe Underworld, you'll already have tons of ships and weapons to fight and use. adding too much additional stuff right away can make it difficult to remember what all that stuff does. ^^

lastly, if you haven't already, check out this thread for general modding advice. and if you have any further questions about the game or mods, or just want to chat, there's almost always someone active in our Discord Fan Chat to talk to.

blaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:27:10 AM »

Personally I think smuggling is a pretty easy way of playing, just need a ship with shielded cargo holds and decent speed to run away from enemies. Then fly around till you find some nice deals/routes. When you have enough money add another ship etc