Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OSX multiple display fullscreen issues  (Read 1875 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
OSX multiple display fullscreen issues
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »

OSX/10.11.6

Starsector doesn't seem to behave with the modern OSX way of handling fullscreen modes and multiple displays.

I have 2 displays:
Laptop display 1280 x 800 on macbookpro.
External display 1280 x 960 (yea its a giant CRT I found in a junkpile)

In the Mission Control control panel in system preferences I have "displays use seperate spaces" so that I can be fullscreen in one display, and have other stuff going on in the other display like desktop, etc.

In the dock I can assign starsector to open on the external display. But the game's launcher only gives options for 1024x768 and 1280x800 (laptop resolutions), not the 2nd display's resolutions.

Also if I choose fullscreen and scale the display rez to 1024x768, meanwhile on the laptop screen, I can click on things and highlight things with the mouse and so on, but starsector still owns any keystrokes I make so I can't type anything in the laptop screen, only click/drag things.

And if I'm not in fullscreen starsector mode, can't hit the green button in starsector's window to go to fullscreen in a separate "space" (the apple jargon for going to a full screen you can touchpad swipe out of) which is normally what happens in OSX. If I go into clamshell mode (close the laptop lid) then the external display is the only display, and then starsector launcher offers me all the resolutions the external display supports, but still without normal spaces/fullscreen behavior

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: OSX multiple display fullscreen issues
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »

Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind. Not much I can do about it right now, unfortunately.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: OSX multiple display fullscreen issues
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »

Thanks. Funny to think, starsector  actually predates all these OSX multiple display features.

In case anyone else should find this thread: I recommend (if you have an external keyboard/mouse) going into clamshell mode which shuts down laptop display to play Starsector and get the external display's native resolutions. (also this keeps video resources from being wasted on two displays).