Fractal Softworks Forum
December 13, 2017, 10:22:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Population Growth (11/19/17); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a]Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority 0.6d (Version Checker Ed.)  (Read 14108 times)
King Alfonzo
Captain

"the way you work is beyond bizzare"

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »

I just downloaded it to a public source, so it should be working. Anyone else have this problem?

2_Wycked
Lieutenant

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »

I'm getting an "unsupported command" error preventing me from opening the DL'd file. Weird.
Network Pesci
Captain

Amusing You

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »

I had no trouble downloading, unzipping, and installing it just a few minutes ago, got into the menu and codex and could see the ships just fine.  I'm using 7zip over here, maybe there's an incompatibility between what his majesty and 2_Wycked is using for zipping.

Huh, I was using 7zip myself.  Use 7zip yall.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:35:46 AM by Network Pesci » Logged
2_Wycked
Lieutenant

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »

Yeah my 7 zip was being stupid, I got it working. Stoked to try this one, ships look rad
Surge
Commander

Go big or go home.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »

So uh, the GM Hammerhead has less than a minute of PPT, I haven't gotten my hands on any other GM ships yet but it feels wrong that even with hardened subsystems a destroyer is best compared to an SO Lasher

edit: looking through the codex most of the baseline GM ships seem to fall FAR below what I would call "minimally viable" PPT, with a base PPT on the Lasher GM of 36 seconds there's just no realistic scenario in which the ship can be useful except extremely small, low intensity fights, and even there it will suffer grossly due to having all its cargo and fuel capacity stripped out. The benefits of the GMDA retrofit seem to be pretty comparable to just installing SO, but the downsides are massively more severe.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:50:17 PM by Surge » Logged
Network Pesci
Captain

Amusing You

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

They have the burn level of Lashers too, they need a crippling downside otherwise their "Our destroyers catch your fast frigate swarm" property would make them more obnoxious on the campaign map than the Templars.  Safety Overrides doesn't give you a bonus to burn speed.  GM Hammerheads aren't competing with vanilla Hammerheads, they're competing with Wolfs and Lashers.
Surge
Commander

Go big or go home.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

I suppose? I think CR per deployment would be a better stat to hammer into the dirt than to give a destroyer less than half the PPT of a frigate.
King Alfonzo
Captain

"the way you work is beyond bizzare"

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

I suppose? I think CR per deployment would be a better stat to hammer into the dirt than to give a destroyer less than half the PPT of a frigate.

It's kind of a playstyle thing; if you're playing as a player with the ship, then the poor peak time restricts it's usage to short bursts (as intended). If you're playing against the AI who have these ships, then the obvious strategy is to wait them out, then mob them once their CR has dropped to 0%. Further, it prevents their repeated usage anyway due to poor peak time.

Also lore-wise they're supposed to run out of steam quickly - they're a lot of rather questionable modifications added to existing ships that make them fast, without much thought into anything else. Heck, the reduced armour is often listed as a feature. The GM Tarsus and GM Condor are both actually garbage when you look look at it objectively. The only situations they're supposed to be good in is high-speed pursuit or very fast hit-and-run ttacks, hence making them an annoying if very niche sort of ship style.

Surge
Commander

Go big or go home.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »

Holy jesus, I gave the GM Hammerhead a more strike-oriented loadout and a good combat endurance officer and it became an unholy terror, the AI managed to more or less solo a pirate cruiser with it.
ApetureUnicorn
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 01:35:36 AM »

holy heckaroo these ships are beautiful
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: