Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Starsector 2nd Fleet Building Tournament FINISHED  (Read 53760 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Starsector 2nd Fleet Building Tournament FINISHED
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »

RULES:
Spoiler
[close]

The Second Fleet Tournament is finished,

Helmut, using P.A.C.K, won at the end of a fantastic run, only one loss away from a perfect score.

Carroy, using Diable Avionics, finished second thanks to his incredibly creative use of Shield Bypass and aggressive loadouts.

Abyz, using D.M.E, end up third with a razor thin margin, having to fight an extra match against Borgrel to break a tie.

Borgrel, using Mid Tech, finished fourth despite a strong surge near the end, and only conceding to Abyz after a tie breaker match.

You can watch the finals here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123999653

Play all the matches on your end with this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hred09fqxkdzmns/SecondFleetBuildingTournament.7z?dl=0

Congratulation to all the participants, and a big thanks to our two shoutcasters FallenShogun and Nemo for their fantastic comments these past weeks.

There will certainly be more tournaments in the future, but probably not too soon. Depending if the 0.8 takes time to be released there could be some fun events in the meantime, maybe in a couple of weeks.

Spoiler
How to play:
Spoiler
   First MAKE SURE YOUR MODS ARE ALL UP TO DATE! USE VERSION CHECKER.

Then you need to download the initial mission mod:

Once installed, you will find inside a folder named tournament containing a lot of "player" files:

There is a pair of them for each participant. You can find your assigned number in the  tournament's brackets here.

Do NOT rename those files! You have to use a code editor to modify their content in order for the game to read your fleet. I recommend using Notepad++ or Sublime Text as it won't modify the files' layout, that could potentially corrupt them. DO NOT use Word, DO NOT use Excel/Open Office and such unless you know how to configure them to not corrupt these files. Using the default Notepad is not recommended either.

playerX_data.csv contains all the general informations about your fleet. by default it look like this:

name,tag,prefix,startCrew

#name: Your forum name.
#tag: The name of the fleet.
#prefix: What will precede the name of your ships.
#startCrew: The crew experience of your new ships, refers to the inscription sheet to get the right level for the tournament. 0=GREEN, 1=REGULAR, 2=VETERAN.

#DO NOT RENAME THIS FILE, DO NOT CHANGE THE TOP LINE.

"Player 1","Player 1 fleet","P1",0

And should be pretty self explanatory. Then there is the playerX_fleet.csv that contains the actual ships for your fleet, looking something like this:

rowNumber,round,type,variant,personality,value

#rowNumber: A unique number for the ship/wing, only used to read the file and won't appear in-game
#round: The round this fleet has been purchassed. Do not change for variant reffit.
#type: "SHIP" or "WING".
#variant: The full ship variant or wing name. Remember to prefix them to avoid name conflicts.
#personality: The captain's personality. Can be "timid", "cautious", "steady", "aggressive". Mandatory but only used with "SHIP" types.
#value: Only used with "WING" types, the value indicated in the relevant wing_data.csv.

#DO NOT RENAME THIS FILE, DO NOT CHANGE THE TOP LINE.

1,2,SHIP,lasher_Assault,cautious,
2,1,SHIP,lasher_Assault,aggressive,
3,1,WING,broadsword_wing,,13000

Again everything is commented to avoid any confusion. Be mindful of typos, SHIP or WING must be capitalized, while the personality must not! Sadly the values of fighter wings cannot be determined from within a mission, that's why you need to enter their cost manually. Every other cost will be computed automatically: A couple seconds after launching the mission, the game will automatically pause and display the current total cost of your fleet.

Note that these files can be edited while the game is running and the changes will be reflected when the mission is refreshed (ie, just click on it again).
The usual method for creating a fleet is to start by adding ships with default variants (you will find them in the variant folder of vanilla or the relevant mod) until the budget is getting filled. Then from the mission you can edit them and fine tune your fleet. Once done, you can get those variants in the mission's save file. You will have to rename them and reflect those changes in the fleet file, and you are done. Remember to use your name or your player number as prefix for your variants to avoid name clashes.

Small reminder: you can choose to submit a secondary set of variants for your fleet (using the same ships), and elect to use that second one when the number of enemy ship is revealed. You cannot pick which variant to use for each ship, it's all or nothing.

The final step will be to submit your fleet:

Doing exactly this would make my life really easier. There are a lot of participants and I wont edit everyone's misnamed file so be sure to double check everything. You can use your forum name for the archive and as prefix for your variant files names. Please only send the required files. You can either PM me a link here or send them directly through our Discord server. All the updates on the tournament will be posted there in priority.

Happy fleet building!

[close]
Having troubles? Here is a more detailed step-by-set guide.

Watch the streams:

ALL ROUNDS PLAYLIST:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi9_tXwdXOljJFy3oMSA_7h9sXa3pup1f

Individual twitch links:
[close]

The First AI Fleet Building Tournament results:
Spoiler
Cycerin playing the Interstellar Imperium's "Goldenboys"

He won after facing

Abyz playing the Scy Nation's "Scybyzian Navy"

You can (re)watch the finals on FallenShogun's channel:

https://youtu.be/wRBQpCd6RVY

Or you can grab the AI mission there,
Required mods:
SS+,
AI Battles,
Blackrock,
Diable Avionics,
GraphicLib,
Interstellar Imperium,
Knights Templar,
LazyLib,
Scy Nation,
Shadowyard Reconstruction Authority,
Ship/Weapon Pack,
TwigLib,
Underworld,
Upgraded Rotary Weapons
[close]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:20:19 AM by Tartiflette »

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 2nd Fleet Building Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

Not only is Tartiflette a delicious potato dish, he is my hero for doing this! SUPER FUN! Sign up folks!

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »

Will there be a video on youtube for every battle?

Kissa-mies

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »

yes there's going to be a recording after every stream.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:49:52 PM »

This looks interesting. :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Oooh, cool! I should really join the discord server... :: does ::

Quick question: Is the Sunder Mid tech or High tech? I'm guessing Mid.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:43 AM »

Mid tech, but since we are using mods you have the high tech Sunder U from Ship and Weapon Pack.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

So the First AI Fleet Building Tournament just finished, and our first winner is:

Cycerin playing the Interstellar Imperium's "Goldenboys"

He won after facing

Abyz playing the Scy Nation's "Scybyzian Navy"

You will be able to (re)watch the finals on FallenShogun's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaO5ia4Obdk

Additionally, the official inscriptions for the SECOND AI Fleet Building Tournament are OPEN!

Come join the fun!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:12:34 PM by Tartiflette »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:34:26 AM »

Fantastic; thought from the opening engagements Scy would nick it - the staying power of the Imperium paid off in the end though, huh?

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »

Yeah, although during the previous rounds, Scy showed some impressive fleet coordination, especially the last one when facing Blackrock. They herded them in a death trap and just melted them into oblivion. Their lack of heavy HE weapons doomed them against II though, a consequence of the previous fleets configurations they had to fight. The new rules for the second tournament address that though.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 04:11:51 AM »

Ballistics + Heavy Armour won?

Who'd have thunk it ::)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »

So we now have 24 participants for second tourney filling three 8-players brackets. Unless we get to 32 rapidly, that will be full list. Right now I need to update Diable and Lightshow, write down the rules, organize the rounds and the streaming schedule, code the new submission system, in addition to a lot of real life stuff pilling up on my plate, and it might take a few days for everything to fall in place and start the fun. So don't worry about sending me your fleets just yet.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »

Very nice battle. Too bad AI cant play aggressively enough vs long range weapons and omni shields is a recipe for disaster in AI hands.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 2nd Fleet Building Tournament (inscription closed, brackets up)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »

Bump because I updated the OP with the rules, and the initial mod that will allow participants to budget and submit their fleets. I also closed the Inscriptions and the brackets are up. There are some interesting matches right from the start.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 2nd Fleet Building Tournament (inscription closed, brackets up)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »

Very cool!

:: Checks Bracket ::

:: Going against DR ::

:(

I feel bad for the poor souls on my ships that are going to die.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8