Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cursor position doesn't align with buttons (on a TV screen)  (Read 1271 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Cursor position doesn't align with buttons (on a TV screen)
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »

So, I just got a new 55" 1080p TV and wanted to try some PC games on it, Starsector (of course) among them. Well, as the title says, the cursor couldn't click the menu buttons, I had to aim to some point beside them (left or right, depending on mode).

I tried:

- full screen 1080p
- window 1080p
- borderless window 1080p

and each also at a reduced resolution.

The PC is the same I use normally, and the TV had no problem displaying any of the other games or Windows (although it somehow disabled the PS/2 port...).

This is not terribly important since I don't plan on using the TV for PC games regularly, but if a fix exists I'd love to hear it.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cursor position doesn't align with buttons (on a TV screen)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »

Hm, that's weird. Probably means that for whatever reason, the input space on the screen doesn't match the resolution? I'd be curious to see if the same thing happens in other OpenGL games (e.g. Minecraft, or any of the Puppygames games, if you happen to own any of those.) At first glance, it looks like something outside the game's control.

Something else to try would be making the TV the primary monitor, actually, if you haven't tried that already. If the input space being used is the resolution of the primary monitor, that might correct the mismatch.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Cursor position doesn't align with buttons (on a TV screen)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »

Hm, that's weird. Probably means that for whatever reason, the input space on the screen doesn't match the resolution?

Well, in borderless window mode the cursor only moved in about 2/3 of the screen. When I clicked outside the area the visible cursor was willing to move in, the game window re-scaled to it's actual clickable size (of ~2/3 screen) and the desktop appeared in the background. So, yeah, there's some mismatch between spaces.

I'd be curious to see if the same thing happens in other OpenGL games (e.g. Minecraft, or any of the Puppygames games, if you happen to own any of those.) At first glance, it looks like something outside the game's control.

Something else to try would be making the TV the primary monitor, actually, if you haven't tried that already. If the input space being used is the resolution of the primary monitor, that might correct the mismatch.

I'll try that the next time I care to carry my PC into the living room :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.