Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Could we get a teaser for the New Year?  (Read 12530 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Could we get a teaser for the New Year?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »

Well, that would be a good reason using cheap, common weapons on these ships. I cant wait for the game to become more than " build the best fleet".
agreed. keeping weak & cheap ships equipped with rare & expensive weapons seems like it would kinda defeat their purpose. i'm sure this sort of playstyle wouldn't be appealing to everyone, but that's kinda the point of having different playstyles: providing options and variety.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »

Well, that would be a good reason using cheap, common weapons on these ships. I cant wait for the game to become more than " build the best fleet".
Well, no, because it stinks!  Especially when factions can pump out as many rare ships and weapons as they want, but the player cannot.  That said, few weapons like Hellbore are supposed to be cheap and common, yet Hellbore is top-tier, or would be if not for all-powerful Mjolnir.

What good is higher chance of recovering a ship I lost if I cannot replace the weapons it lost?  If the ship used cheap stuff, okay, although I still need spare weapons in cargo to rearm the ship immediately if I do not loot enough.  If I use rare stuff that are almost as hard to come by as Hyperion (e.g., Atropos, light needlers, some heavy weapons), the ship might as well have stayed dead.

I would like eliminating enough strategic targets to remove a faction from the game, or at least conquer some of their systems.  Building a best fleet is kind of moot when the enemy can never lose planets or be removed from the game.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »

Heh, you ever play Drox Operative, Megas? Might be right up your alley!

If you can build cheap ships you'll probably be able to build cheap weapons to fit onto them. As Sy and Gothars said, the whole cheap swarm thing would be just another playstyle.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 03:43:52 AM »

What good is higher chance of recovering a ship I lost if I cannot replace the weapons it lost?
in the current game, i mostly agree. but if the industry playstyle specifically focuses on fielding a larger number of cheap and relatively disposable ships (regardless of where/how you get those ships) then i don't think being able to easily outfit all of those ships with the best weapons would make sense. if you prefer to keep a fleet composed of the best ships outfitted with the best weapons, then i think this playstyle just wouldn't be for you.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

I'm not really sure what my issue is but I've never gotten into using faction/weapon mods or the like, so I'm straight-up starving for new official content.

What is gonna come first, updated patch notes or a new blog post? Damn, I hope one of them comes soon...

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »

I like to skip every other release so you can only imagine how badly I'm waiting for 0.8!!  :o :o :o :o

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »

I'm not really sure what my issue is but I've never gotten into using faction/weapon mods or the like, so I'm straight-up starving for new official content.

What is gonna come first, updated patch notes or a new blog post? Damn, I hope one of them comes soon...
But why? I have played vanilla myself and now the half the reason I play and enjoy Starsector is because of all those beautiful mods. Currently I use only SS+, DynaSector and most balanced (IMO) faction mods, not to mention some small utility mods, and I get pretty much vanilla experience but with some critical improvements and really TONS of high quality content. The only mods that turn experience around are some Total Conversion mods, Nexerelin and etc, but it actually good to have those if you starving for Total War in space or something completely different from vanilla.

You should really get your head around them, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »

Eh, I do currently use a few QoL/Utility mods but, I dunno, faction/weapon mods just seem to kill the feeling and satisfaction of progression to me for some reason. Might have something to do with the fact that I can't shake the feeling that a lot of them are unbalanced—I know even Vanilla has some balance issues but mods don't use (or even have access to) Alex's official balance formulas, do they?

I just need dat patch, mang!

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »

most of the "core" mods are balanced just as well if not better than the game itself. the "formulas" the game is balanced around can be derived from looking at the stats of the things in the game.

personally i can't play the game without mods anymore. even a few faction mods liven up the experience and diversify the gameplay a ton.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:25 AM »

Eh, I do currently use a few QoL/Utility mods but, I dunno, faction/weapon mods just seem to kill the feeling and satisfaction of progression to me for some reason. Might have something to do with the fact that I can't shake the feeling that a lot of them are unbalanced—I know even Vanilla has some balance issues but mods don't use (or even have access to) Alex's official balance formulas, do they?
What mods do you think are unbalanced? Basically anything Dynasector supported has been heavily tested and balanced and even the boss faction (Templars) aren't just "stacked zeros" ships but instead have been balanced out and made fun
Speaking of Dynasector, that mod creates random but powerful variants and it ups the later game difficulty
Another thing is that SS+ balances out vanilla, fixing some the more glaring issues *coughmissilescough*
Nexerelin gives the game a 4X like endgame goal
BTW, when WAS the last time you played with mods?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

Might have something to do with the fact that I can't shake the feeling that a lot of them are unbalanced
i know the feeling, and there are some popular mods i don't use for that reason. overpowered stuff kills the enjoyment for me, because it removes so much of the choice and variety in fleet composition or loadouts, not to mention making the game less challenging (if the enemies aren't using overpowered stuff as well).

but i remember initially having that feeling with some of the actually well balanced mods as well, when i first started using them. there are many ships and weapons that look quite a bit stronger (or weaker) from a quick look at them than they actually are in practice, because there are so many things in this game that influence how well a ship or weapon does -- and some of these things aren't even shown in stats at all, like projectile velocity. a ship/loadout may seem really powerful for a few battles, until you run into an enemy fleet that counters it. and some ships and weapons just don't have any vanilla equivalent at all, so it can be hard to judge how well they're balanced.

keep in mind, vanilla itself has massive differences in power/usefulness between its weak & cheap ships and weapons compared to the really good ones. so if a mod ship or weapon does something better than a vanilla one, that's okay, if it's intended to fulfill a rather specific niche or has some drawbacks (which might not be immediately evident) that still keep it from always being the best choice.

Underworld, Ship & Weapon Pack, BRDY, II, THI, SCY, DA, SRA and even Templars are all pretty well balanced. not perfectly (nothing is ever perfectly balanced ^^), but well enough to be in line with vanilla, and several of them are currently getting big updates to further improve this. :]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:04:10 AM by Sy »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »

Mandatory power ladder post:

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

It'd be interesting to know where one or two newer mods lie on that graph (thinking primarily of Dassault-Mikoyan).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »

It'd be interesting to know where one or two newer mods lie on that graph (thinking primarily of Dassault-Mikoyan).
That graph is pretty old though
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »

That graph is pretty old though

I had to work out that "CC" refers to the outdated Citadel mod, telling me that it wasn't put together recently, but it still seems fairly relevant otherwise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3