Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector won't launch at all? Windows 10  (Read 9639 times)

meru448

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector won't launch at all? Windows 10
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »

Not sure what else to say, freshly installed 0.7.2a & when I double click on it or right click open...nothing happens, I have an older install 0.52 that launches fine(separate drive)

Any help much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector won't launch at all? Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »

Hi - could you try running the starsector.bat file, found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core?

If that doesn't work and you run that from the command line, it should give an error message that will hopefully point us to what the issue is.

(To run if from the command line, run "cmd", then type in:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core"
Press entret
starsector.bat
And press enter again.)

meru448

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mark>cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core

c:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core>starsector.bat

c:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core>..\jre\bin\java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Incompatible minimum and maximum heap sizes specified

c:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core>

There is actually a starfarer install on this drive, totally forgot about, I will try removing it.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:10:46 AM by meru448 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »

Aha! This should be easy to fix, fortunately.

Right-click on "Computer", click "Properties", go to "Advanced System Settings", and click on the "Environment Variables" button.

There, you should find a _JAVA_OPTIONS variable, either under user or system variables. It might also be JAVA_OPTIONS without the underscore. Delete this variable and the game should be able to start up normally.

(Sorry about the trouble!)

Edit: please be careful not to delete another variable by accident :) While deleting JAVA_OPTIONS is safe, some other stuff could have repercussions.

meru448

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »

Awesome, that seems to have done it, 0.7.2a launched.

No trouble at all, I think this game is quite awesome & like to check in & do a playthrough every now & then.

I think it is heavily under-recognized currently, plays like a lot like Escape Velocity but with more RPG elements & modern flourish.

Thank you for your time & have a good day.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »

Thank you for your patience and support, glad you got it sorted :)

oldbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:39:51 AM »

Hmm... I get the same problem (I can no longer run starsector.exe), but when I run the .bat, the game loads.
I moved a new version of Java into the game directory as I was corrupting saves with OOM errors. But the game loaded fine all day yesterday after that. Changed nothing this morning.

There is one error in the .bat load, but the game still launches:

"WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5."

(I don't have anything in my environment variables for Java)

oldbone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »

FIXED: I deleted java and reinstalled to a new jre subfolder... seems to work... will keep an eye on it.

Hmm.. seems to be java related.

I changed this back from a max memory of 4096 to 1024 and the exe loads... will keep fiddling:

-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:44:28 AM by oldbone »