Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Warhammer: Vermintide  (Read 2507 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Warhammer: Vermintide
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »

...is a glorious, rat-stomping Horde Mode FPS.  It's like Left 4 Dead fell into the Warhammer Fantasy universe... and it really works.  Good graphics, great gameplay.  Very nice, stompy HTH combat action; you will really feel like you've just waded through a million Skaven at the end of a fight against a mob.

It can get brutally hard with a lot of human players, even on "Easy", but it's not too bad when you're playing with just bots on a private session.  And yes, the bots are reasonably smart.

The only fly in the ointment atm is that progression of characters is pretty lame; your characters are their gear, but gear is randomly given at the end of missions and it's not particularly well-thought-out, in terms of allowing character growth and allowing people a smooth transition to harder levels of difficulty.  This will probably get addressed.

That, and you need a fairly uber PC to run this one; my current gaming box is not a beast by current standards, but isn't bad; I can only run it well with most of the settings quite low atm, because of the CPU load of all of the bots.

Anyhow, lots of fun; I haven't had this much fun with a FPS since the latest DOOM.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer: Vermintide
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:59:38 AM »

It's a great game. Only the lack of a VS mode is holding it back. I would love to see (and buy) a proper expansion instead of only map DLC content.

Also saying that it can be brutally hard even on easy seems weird to me. In my experience you are more or less invincible on easy. 

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »

Maybe it's just my aging reflexes or lack of time to grind gear :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »

it's home to the best weapon in FPS.

the cerebral bore trueflight longbow