Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Skill Overhaul  (Read 97373 times)

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Overhaul
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »

hmm, I wonder if the way CM and EW bonuses are calculated encourages frigate swarms since they have a lot more bonus per supply/cost than larger ships

Frigates are also inherently more fragile, and from what has been said, it seems the bonuses may update in combat when you destroy a ship, so if you lose a few frigates for every destroyer, your attrition of the bonus is larger than a fleet of a few larger ships.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

I'm very much in favor of making fleet combat more attractive but I'm not sure the planned changes are the best way to do so. Electronic Warfare sounds particularly rough and in combination with Coordinated Maneuvers it may actually have the opposite effect. When facing a considerably larger enemy fleet a skilled player would probably be able to work around the range and speed limits but the AI not so much, so unless I'm on a somewhat equal footing I might be better off not bringing any allies to the fight.
It also seems like it would make hard battles even harder and easy battles even easier. I guess we'll see how it plays out. If it's strictly about the number of ships and not the total tonnage then frigate spam may become the new early to mid game meta.

I see what you're saying, but my feeling is that's not how it'll play out. It's much harder to abuse the AI when you don't have a range and speed advantage to do it with, but having a few hard-to-kill allies deployed could open up all sorts of opportunities to out-play the AI on a more tactical level than just "stay barely out of their range and shoot".

I'm not sure how I feel about the fleet bonuses.  I prefer the stately fleet actions of older versions of Starsector and things definitely needed to swing back in that direction from the ultra-lethal officer combat of the current patch, but I've seen things end badly when developers try to push their vision of the right way to play their game too hard and it seems like having a bonus attached to raw ship hulls is going to be prone to being gamed.  Will have to see how it plays out in practice, though.

Yeah, that's definitely been on my mind - I don't want to force people to play a certain way, and am very much of the same opinion that things wouldn't go well if the design tries to have the "one right way to play". But that doesn't mean that it can't do things to make one way or another more or less effective, right? It's all a question of finding a good balance.

So, for example, the bonuses cap out at 20% with skills, and they make good in-fiction sense. Hopefully it's not so much as to be hamfisted, and not so little as to be trivial - but if those numbers don't pan out, I could easily see lowering them.

As far as combat skills, there's also plenty of offensive skills to be had. It's, again, gray instead of black and white. It's not like things went from "all offense" to "all defense", just shifted some in that direction.

If people are upset about having their range crimped in fleet actions, you could always try repackaging the effect into a range bonus for the fleet with stronger sensor strength.  It makes slightly less thematic sense, but people historically respond much better to conditional bonuses than penalties even when the functional outcome is literally identical (see: rested XP in WoW, which was initially an experience penalty for grinding).

Yeah, the initial version was actually that, but the game *really* doesn't need more weapon range. Still, an option to keep in mind.

Are there any turn rate bonuses at all?

Yep, under another skill. Also, Auxiliary Thrusters is available at game start.

skills that focus on improving the fleet’s performance in the campaign. Bonuses to abilities, sensor stats, movement, etc.

This is a bit vague, does it mean new campaign abilities are unlocked via skills? Or just upgraded?

Probably both. There's one case where I'm a bit undecided.

hitting the level cap isn't particularly time-consuming

This worries me a little bit. Is it just a acknowledgement of the current missing content, so your growth ends when you've done everything (and the span can be extended as the game growths)? Or do you also expect a play-through in the finished game to be a fairly short affair? Or do you plan for character growth to end before a player has finished a play through?

With the caveat that things could change: gaining levels isn't something that's necessary for the entirety of a play-through. Getting to the cap or close enough to it could be preparation for late-game, for example. And there could be ways to gain character points outside of gaining levels.

+50% acceleration is too much in my opinion, why not just +25%? +50% is such a huge boost that it wont even resemble the base handling of the ship at all. Especially when combined with hullmods...

I don't know, a Venture still feels very much like a giant tub with that. And if there's a hullmod, there were OP spent, so it'd better be something tangible. But: we'll see. Again, a lot of playtesting to be done on this still.

I guess what I'm asking is that, Is this a direct nerf to the overall ammo count on small missile launchers? If so, I would love to see more interesting hullmods for missile systems on small ships. For example a +1 missile ammo hullmod, or a Hull mod that changes ammo launchers into slow recharge launchers like how salamanders or pilums currently work for things like small single harpoon launchers.

Ah, gotcha: yes, yes it is. As much fun as +1 missile ammo was, it was also, if we're being honest, quite broken for a lot of weapons.

Regarding missiles in general, I'm aware there's an opinion that they're not quite good enough, but I'd like to see where it goes once deploying more ships is a viable way to go. If a ship's goal goes from "solo entire enemy armada" to "score 2-3 kills", then all of a sudden having a couple of racks of Harpoons is a whole lot more attractive.

hmm, I wonder if the way CM and EW bonuses are calculated encourages frigate swarms since they have a lot more bonus per supply/cost than larger ships

For CM, probably not too much since it's not very hard to max out the bonus with larger ships. EW, that could get more interesting. But I'm not sure the bonuses are large enough to make going for a frigate swarm worth it unless it's also good for other reasons, which it very well might be.

and from what has been said, it seems the bonuses may update in combat when you destroy a ship

Just to confirm, they do. This also means you can't do something silly like deploy a bunch of cheap shuttles, retreat them, and then keep the bonus.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »

I think the cap will prevent that. Would you want to take on battleships with a frigate swarm just because you have a 20% speed/range bonus?

The second prong involves more directly making battles difficult for a side that’s heavily outnumbered. While that’s almost always going to be the player, what we also want to do is add ways to interact with that system and come out ahead while being outnumbered, but only if the player deploys multiple ships.

OK, I'm a bit confused here. Wasn't one of the main points of deployment costs to encourage the player to deploy as little as possible? And now there's also an incentive to deploy as much as possible? I guess I'll have to aim very precisely for the golden middle, then...

Although, this mechanic makes it harder to find it, I guess, since the combat strength of individual ships will vary a lot depending on the fleet environment. A ship that could easily knock out an enemy Brawler in 1vs1, might be unable to if in a uneven fleet battle. That doesn't make the minimum necessary strength to win a fight easier to gauge, does it?
I'll have to test it of course, just a bit worried it will complicate things.

Getting to the cap or close enough to it could be preparation for late-game, for example. And there could be ways to gain character points outside of gaining levels.

Oh, cool, that I'd like.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:19:38 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

OK, I'm a bit confused here. Wasn't one of the main points of deployment costs to encourage the player to deploy as little as possible? And now there's also an incentive to deploy as much as possible? I guess I'll have to aim very precisely for the golden middle, then...

I don't think there's a conflict here, since the reasons for wanting to do one or the other are different. I mean, you could also say that right now the game encourages you to deploy as much as possible because hey, it *does* make the fight easier. All these skills do here is change the curve.

Although, this mechanic makes it harder to find it, I guess, since the combat strength of individual ships will vary a lot depending on the fleet environment. A ship that could easily knock out an enemy Brawler in 1vs1, might be unable to if in a uneven fleet battle. That doesn't make the minimum necessary strength to win a fight easier to gauge, does it?
I'll have to test it of course, just a bit worried it will complicate things.

Yeah, that's fair, it's definitely one more thing to consider. Then again, I'm not sure if the amount of unpredictability added by these skills is more than, say, not knowing exactly which skills an enemy officer has.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

I'm ambivalent on the officer cap mentioned; at present, it's more or less a cap on the number of vessels which can usefully be brought into combat, at least at higher levels, and if that's still the case after the skill revamp then the skill increasing the cap is pretty much mandatory for anyone who wants to have anything more than a very minimal fleet supporting them in combat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »

One more thing I wanted to add: the maximum total bonus from CM, for example, is what the enemy fleet might have now due to holding two Nav Buoys, just to put it in perspective in terms of effectiveness or how much of a problem it would be to deal with. Or is it less than that? I forget if Nav Buoys are +10% or +15% right now. So if one has concerns about it being too hamfisted or mandatory to get as the player, I think that's a useful point of reference.

I'm ambivalent on the officer cap mentioned; at present, it's more or less a cap on the number of vessels which can usefully be brought into combat, at least at higher levels, and if that's still the case after the skill revamp then the skill increasing the cap is pretty much mandatory for anyone who wants to have anything more than a very minimal fleet supporting them in combat.

I could address this, but then I'd have to talk about the Industry-related combat style, and I can't do that. Argh!

But, basically: either you don't go for leadership or industry, and then don't rely on having many allies deployed (and the skills you get out of those support that style), or you go for one of those and get other options, either including more officers, or X.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »

...Industry lets you produce allied fleets to fight alongside you?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

...Industry lets you produce allied fleets to fight alongside you?

... no. But I've already said too much! Really just going to save it for the next blog post.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »

Also, this was sorta drowned out in the initial discussions, but thank god for fixing command points.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »

Also, this was sorta drowned out in the initial discussions, but thank god for fixing command points.

:) Yeah, I feel so much better about how these work now.

... because I can't help myself: the industry thing is in large part related to the cost part of the equation. But that's all I'll say now, I swear!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »

I think I have a pretty good guess of what industry combat could be, but I'll be quiet to avoid potentially  spoiling anything :)

One more thing I wanted to add: the maximum total bonus from CM, for example, is what the enemy fleet might have now due to holding two Nav Buoys, just to put it in perspective in terms of effectiveness or how much of a problem it would be to deal with. Or is it less than that? I forget if Nav Buoys are +10% or +15% right now. So if one has concerns about it being too hamfisted or mandatory to get as the player, I think that's a useful point of reference.

Yeah, that puts things into perspective, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:21:37 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 05:18:31 PM »

The implication there seems to be that industry will let you have more ships, but that...doesn't really seem like something that would need to be teased?

I will say that Fighter LPCs and the newly unveiled modspecs look suspiciously like they could share a framework with the manufacturing blueprints that were meant to be a core part of the game since forever.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »

The implication there seems to be that industry will let you have more ships, but that...doesn't really seem like something that would need to be teased?

I will say that Fighter LPCs and the newly unveiled modspecs look suspiciously like they could share a framework with the manufacturing blueprints that were meant to be a core part of the game since forever.
If that is the case then alot of stress about early game would relieved and it would make ship losses not an instant quick load for non ironman games
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »

If that is the case then alot of stress about early game would relieved and it would make ship losses not an instant quick load for non ironman games

I mean, UACs were meant to be very rare and valuable (and also require a factory to do the production), so it's not like you'd be anywhere near fabricating new ships at the beginning of the game.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »

The suggestion that one or more skills in the Industry aptitude will help with making large fleets viable without needing to pick up the 'more officers' skill, coupled with the suggestion that the way by which this is done is through something to do with cost suggests to me that repair/replacement costs, and maybe deployment costs, are reduced in some way by the industry skills, not necessarily that the industry skill(s) will allow you to have more ships. One possibility would be that Field Repairs moved from Technology to Industry and now also reduces repair and CR recovery costs in addition to (or perhaps instead of) increasing repair and CR recovery rates.

Other possibilities come to mind, but I think that I, like Gothars, will keep my speculation to myself on this matter.

I tend to feel that that'd be more of a relief for mid- or late-game stresses than for early-game stresses; I would think it unlikely for the player to have low-cost access to anything more than very basic ships in the early stages of the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17