Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions? [SPOILERS]  (Read 14418 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions? [SPOILERS]
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »

Yet to see it, so would love to hear some opinions from those that have.
Not looking for spoilers, just strengths/weaknesses.

Most interested in hearing from those who were disappointed (as I was) with TFA (and all of J.J. Abram's lacklustre reboot efforts tbh)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:09:02 PM by Gothars »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:58:12 AM »

star wars is dead, the sale to disney was dodgy.
TFA confirmed it.

the movie didnt even make sense.
i'm not watching rogue 1.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:49:48 AM »

I'll see it next tuesday, heard good things from friends ("best SW movie yet"). I was not dissappointed by TFA on account of not having any expectations. It was way better than episode 1-3, so "yeah!", I guess. Also, I despise Abrams for ruining Star Trek.

I doubt that R1will top Arrival though, my personal movie of the year.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »

I enjoyed TFA, though that was much more for the characters and much less for the Abrams special (Explosions! Fighting! Fate of the ___!). I actually thought the script was reasonably tight and very much enjoyed the scale/nostalgia of the opening shots. (Speaking of Abrams, I liked the first of the new star trek movies very much, but thought that both of the next two were decidedly 'meh'.) But, seeing as how this movie isn't directed by him, I'm going to go see it.

I was very happy for the sale to disney because Lucas was unfit to continue (and the original movies had co-directors who shot down the majority of his terrible *** anyways).

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »

I was very happy for the sale to disney because Lucas was unfit to continue (and the original movies had co-directors who shot down the majority of his terrible *** anyways).

Reminds me of the scathing reviews of the prequels (by Red Letter Media I think) in which they go into what the original Star Wars might have been if Lucas had had complete creative control back then.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »

The prequels actually had a great story. Just the script ruined it. The Force Awakens is quite okay, again the story is great, but just like the prequels, instead of too much CG its nostalgia shots.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »

I'm trying so so hard to not express my opinions of TFA; I don't want this thread to become 'that' thread. :)

Let's keep it on Rogue 1, rather than getting distracted with a debate on the merits(or otherwise) of the other films in the franchise :-*

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »

Trying to be as non-spoilerish as I can.

One thing I found utterly disgusting: they make a new character who is named almost identically as an old, established character was named, and coincidentally this new character was doing storywise the same thing that original character did, but obviously in a different way. This shows to me that Disney is firmly set in destroying old universe not only by overwriting story arks but also by re-using old character names to further erase them from existence, much like the old christians did with pre-christianity deities, stories and holidays. Also, I wouldn't care much if they screw some trippy yuuzhan-vongs that were dumb and contrived anyway, but to do the same with a character I loved and knew ever since 1995 - that's an utter outrage.

Another thing mildly revolting is the way they crammed in all that pompous dialogues about "hope, blahblah, duty, yadayada, reasons and decisions, blahblah some more", they're extremely cringeworthy and even more annoying as I remember how great original trilogy turned out without that sh*it at all! Can you imagine Luke disrupting pre-flight routine to stand in some dumb heroic pose and preach about "we were destined to preserve the hope that lead us all to better mankind who are destined to deserve more hope and love and friendship and fuc*king butterflies"? Utterly lame.

With that rant said, there was things I loved: space battle was pleasant, X-wings and Y-wings worked reasonably executing usual battle tactics I would have expected from them playing Tie-Fighter back in 1994, they even exploited that Star Destroyer's vulnerability exactly how I would've done it myself driving my trusty interceptor against one. Loved that. Pathetic lack of turbolasers on capital ships and inter-capital ship fire exchange was quite disappointing though.

Really loved how they tied the end of Rogue 1 to New Hope too!

All in all, there is no doubt that is not anymore original trilogy we loved, but as soon as we accept and embrace it, the new movies are rather acceptable chew for when you just want to went to the cinema to watch some random movie. Not worse than that Marvel superhero conveyor line anyway.

P.S. There's now swearing filter on this board? Did someone finally thought of the children or what? :-\
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:20:14 AM by Creepin »

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »

I quite liked it.  I felt it had some serious flaws in cinematography - the start was really spastic, switching around a lot between different planets entirely with no idea what was going on really.  It also dragged on a bit too long and there was probably one action scene too many. 

There was one bit that was a serious crime against Star Wars lore, with the walkers (that's all I'll say). 

Artistically it was a triumph, returning to the 60s/70s analogue sensibilities that still distinguishes Star Wars from more modern interpretations of future-tech.  There were some artistic departures but they were all pretty well defined rather than gratuitous.

The stormtroopers were just. Really sad.  Remember when those 15 stormtroopers (or w/e) charged Han on the deathstar?  If Han was one of the characters in Rogue 1 he woulda just shot them all. 
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »

Yet to see it, so would love to hear some opinions from those that have.

Most interested in hearing from those who were disappointed (as I was) with TFA (and all of J.J. Abram's lacklustre reboot efforts tbh)
Saw it just now.

Strenghts:

- the used-world aesthetics of the movie were great, they nailed it at least as good as the originals
- It is not the typical hero story of all the other Star Wars movies, but still has a very distinct Star Wars feel to it
- A few quite entertaining characters
- some nice humor
- Manages to fit itself very comfortably in the established (original trilogy) universe

Weaknesses:
- You can pretty quickly guess the major plot lines if you know Star Wars (I came in blind without having seen trailers)
- All of the characters lack depth. Some are just a bit shallow, about others (with major screentime) we know basically nothing
- A certain actor was reincarnated with the help of CGI, which was very obvious and distracting to me. Not all can see it, though.
- The action is wild and colorful, not precise and tactical as I'd prefer. But that's typical Star Wars, I guess.
- The overall pacing and editing was... a bit rough. It the beginning it was confusing, later it was uninspired with a few sloppy moments.

Overall it was entertaining, but I liked episode 4-7 better.

Also, one (spoiler) thing I personally found annoying:
Spoiler

The scene were the rebels used the Hammerhead corvette to shove one (disabled) star destroyer into another, which in turn flew into the shield generator station. Who ever came up with that scene apparently doesn't know or care about f=m*a. How can a little corvette accelerate a Star Destroyer so fast that another Star Destroyer with, like, a thousand times more powerful engines can't evade? Or when they are so close together that it becomes impossible, how can the first Star Destroyer build up the energy to just just plow through the second one, when all the acceleration it receives comes from one tiny corvette for a short time? That's like me pushing one parking car into another and expecting them to both explode from the impact.
[close]

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:04:33 PM by Gothars »

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »

Spoiler
They did explicitly point out when the other ship started reacting to the other destroyer being shoved - it was just before impact, iirc.
[close]
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

Spoiler
Yeah. Arguably even that short reaction time should have been enough to match the speed the corvette could have put on a Star Destroyer, but even if we suspend disbelief here - how could the collision have been so severe? They were just lightly bumping into each other, it's like the ships had proximity fuses. It just felt very wrong is all.
[close]

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »

Just saw it. Loved it.

It's the 1st film in a long while that I've felt I needed to watch again to take everything in.

It obviously wasn't perfect (very few films are), but it had interesting dialogue & (for the most part) believable characters, and most importantly a plot that made sense.
My initial rating puts it on a par with A New Hope; ESB is obviously still King.

The only disappointment..... is that it's a stand-alone story  :-[
We're stuck with the main-line franchise following on from the drivel that was TFA. :'(

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »

Overall it was entertaining, but I liked episode 4-7 better.

Also, one (spoiler) thing I personally found annoying:
Spoiler

The scene were the rebels used the Hammerhead corvette to shove one (disabled) star destroyer into another, which in turn flew into the shield generator station. Who ever came up with that scene apparently doesn't know or care about f=m*a. How can a little corvette accelerate a Star Destroyer so fast that another Star Destroyer with, like, a thousand times more powerful engines can't evade? Or when they are so close together that it becomes impossible, how can the first Star Destroyer build up the energy to just just plow through the second one, when all the acceleration it receives comes from one tiny corvette for a short time? That's like me pushing one parking car into another and expecting them to both explode from the impact.
[close]

Spoiler
It's a film :D

Though how about......

The Hammerhead corvette's (Old Republic cruiser ::)) initial ram of the disabled Star Destroyer damaged its repulsor, causing the SD to begin accelerating towards the planet. (we're assuming all the other ships are using their repulsors to hold station around the shield gate, all at a relatively low altitude)
The Hammerhead is just giving the lateral acceleration necessary to hit the other SD; the planet's gravity is doing the rest.
Thus the forces acting in the collision are:

\/ gravity on disabled SD
/\ repulsor of the active SD.
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »

Just saw it. Loved it.

Cool :) One of the best things about it is how it connects to and enriches A New Hope. I recommend rewatching just the crawl and first scene, they feel different. Better!

The only disappointment..... is that it's a stand-alone story  :-[

But on the contrary, it fits perfectly in the existing universe... But yeah, I'd love to see a certain  metallic character again.

Spoiler
It's a film :D

Though how about..

I'm not bothered that it doesn't make sense if you think about it, it's a space opera after all. And I'm sure there's technobabble that could "explain" it.
I'm bothered that it looked spontaniously, glaringly wrong to me, meaning they did a poor job of selling that important moment visually.
[close]

Pages: [1] 2 3