Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pirate faction weak by default ?  (Read 3961 times)

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pirate faction weak by default ?
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »

So..I decided to try to play as pirate faction ...and it is really hard..but I think it is hard is because seems like pirates are weak by default.
Let's say I am trying to take over a size 3 base, I have a size 5 fleets. And enemy response fleet would actually take me out.
This never happenes when I play as other faction.

And that's not just it..I find it difficult to attack other fleet even if enemy fleet are a lot smaller than mine. Even if I win I would loose quite a bit of my fleet which makes it quite hard to save up and buy a better ship.

While playing other faction if my ships got disabled during combat, I usually get it back to repair. But as pirate, they just gone..I have to
keep on loading if battle goes south..and believe me..they do that a lot. Which didn't happen when I play as other faction.
So..my question is pirate for some reason are just weak ? maybe ship status got lowered or something ?
Oh yeah..anyway to make money easier ? I mean battling is not profitable . And other factions just attacks me if I am trying to do some
delivery mission for some money .

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate faction weak by default ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »

Got some few questions:

1. Are you playing in Vanilla or are you using Nexelerin and SS+ mods?

2. Are you using The Underworld Mod? Pirates got some new ships that aren't half-bad for low tech units (though the side-car frigate is just a junk unit).

3. Do you have the ship repair skill in lvl 5? That should increase the chances of ships getting restored after getting blown up.

Also, Profiting in vanilla via trading is near impossible due to tariffs, large scale battles and bounties are something you should do. And since you are playing the Pirate faction, I can see why everyone hates you.

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »

Pirates in Vanilla are designed to be the 'rats' if you will - weak enemies for new characters to cut their teeth on. (D) variant ships are for the most part mediocre.

From what it sounds like, you are running Nexerilin, though I cannot tell what other mods you are probably running. Nexerilin does not make pirates more or less weak than their Vanilla counterparts. However as dk1332 mentioned, the Underworld mod pack adds more ships to the pirate arsenal and if you don't already have it I would highly recommend it.

(D) variants should not be less likely to be salvaged, but I do not have exact numbers to back this up.

For pirates, money generation is certainly more difficult compared to other factions. Have you already tried buying marines in decivilized locations and selling them elsewhere (decivilized locations include Maxios in the Magnec system and Killa in the Yma system)? Otherwise all I can suggest is smuggling in a hound, taking advantage of it's speed and small sensor sig.
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »

To answer your question:

1.yes..I am using Nexerlin mod
2. I do have UnderWorld mod, and I am using new ships at the moment. But in large scale battle , those low tech ships just a bit under powered.
3. Yes..current at lvl 6

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »

I see, then from the looks of it you should also have Junk Pirates mod. Making an alliances with them should give you access to their ships which are also not half bad as well as sharing some burden with them.

But ofcourse, As pirates, you only have access to lowtech warships and weapons thus it would be wise to capture other faction warships or buy them in black markets if you want decent ships for those larger battles.

Just like the other guy said, (D) types are terrible than their standard counterparts but hey at least they aren't as bad as those Ludic path units. I still remember having one their "perfectly fine" shuttles explode for no reason.

As for financial problems, Black market is always the answer. Due to the lack of Tariffs you can sell the stuff you plundered from merchant fleets . And they sometimes sell good stuff a cheap price.

Remember, if you want to play as a pirate then think like a pirate. Kill and steal people's stuff and sell them for profit.

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »

Actually I don't think I have junk pirate mod..unless they were included in the Nexlerin mod (which I don't think they do)
I am trying to capture enemy ships. but not always successful , and even if I did..it may not be the ship I am trying to get.
I am going to try what Beobachter says buying some marines and sell them somewhere else to get some credits first.

While on the subject , why when a pirate buys from black market in a pirate owned planet , relationship drops. I mean ..being a pirate is well...kinda illegal in the first place.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »

You don't pay 'taxes' to  the 'authority'. Makes some sense I guess.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »

Wasn't there that thingie on the top of the market screen if its a free-trade area? It should be an Icon with a green arrow going to the right and yellow arrow to the left.

Though I'm not really sure if thats how it works.

You should get the Junk Pirate mod. Weird ships and it got 2 other factions with it. As for capturing ships, its via luck, and the #of marines you have. Oh and pretty sure there's that extra salvage something mod where it increases your chance of stealing some ships.

Then again, you can try starting a mining business to level those green crew members faster then sell them off once you get them to Elite/Veteran.

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:40:23 AM »

Mining!! oh yeah...I actually completely forgot about mining .
As for junk pirate mod, I need to look for it . I probably missed it when I was looking for faction mod to add.

CaptainWinky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »

The Pirate start in Nexerelin is definitely difficult since all of the main factions will be hostile by default.  For short term survival you'll have to raid mercantile convoys and mining fleets to build up money.  Hiding in asteroid belts or nebulas with your transponder off will help avoid any attention from military patrols.  In the long term it may pay off to buy some agents and build relations with a bigger faction so that even if you're not friendly towards them you don't have to worry about them stomping you.

Nemo has been doing some Starsector LPs and he's playing as pirates in the latest one.  Maybe this will give you some ideas.  Also there's some good advice in the comments about how to outfit the pirate ships added with Underworld.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF_ixLibF6s9rqfZIEPPBP8aZF7ZXmqCN