Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long time player first time poster  (Read 2434 times)

Dirty Rider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Long time player first time poster
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »

As subject states, been on and off with this wonderful game now for few years. I get great enjoyment out of it. Lately though i read dev blogs and am not sure if I'm playing an old version or if its up to date. Seems like I'm up to date, ( starsector .0.7.a-RC3 ) if this is in fact the newest version could we expect a new one,  as this is getting to be lacking. While it may sound like a complaint its far from it. I know the development  cycles can drag on, but I've been playing this version now for over 6 months.

Hugs and kisses

Dirty

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Long time player first time poster
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »

The last update was...what, 10 months ago? You're on the right version most likely and just need to be patient for another month or two until seemingly the biggest update of them all hits.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »

welcome to the forum! :]

Starsector has always had long gaps in-between major updates, 6 months isn't out of the ordinary at all. we'd all love faster updates (well, aside from some mod authors maybe, who need to spend a lot of time on updating their stuff ^^), but there's only one guy working on the game full-time, and the quality and polish of the game even in it's current state makes it well worth the wait, imo.

but you're still right in that it's taking even longer than usual this time, since the next update will be one of the largest yet, might well be the largest. in the recently posted initial Patch Notes, Alex (the lead dev) said "This doesn't mean the release is imminent, though naturally it's getting fairly close. There are a few things to work through before then - one or two I'd probably call big features, a lot of content creation, and a good amount of playtesting. And a few modability improvements".
i'm guessing it'll be another 2 or 3 months until the next release.

and yes, the latest version is 0.7.2a-RC3, which i assume is the one you meant.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:33:19 PM by Sy »

Dirty Rider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:52:07 PM »

Good to hear, good to hear. I have to say, I got a lot of bang for my buck in this game. Shame more developers cant take a page out of Alex's book of "How to make a quality product". Guess few more games on this version are in order. On a side note, I play a game called Software Inc. and in said game I do develop games, and one of my best selling games was named Starsector. Just thought that was cool.

Thanks again Dev. team man.

Dirty

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:11:59 AM »

hehe, clearly it's a quality game name. ^^

snooze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Not much is changing from one year to the next, but that is what we all like!  ::)