Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How large was Opis?  (Read 1320 times)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How large was Opis?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:45 AM »

So far, what this thread has really driven home is that it's a little strange for planets to be owned by one faction with one or two official markets.
hard to program otherwise

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 03:50:19 PM »

hard to program otherwise

No.  Markets are separate from planets, and referenced in rules.csv.  It's how you can go to stations and access the planet.

I can see how it might be difficult conceptually, but the code is there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 04:00:25 PM by Brainwright »

Beep Boop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 06:08:23 PM »

Well, the color of the planet is mostly defined by "which party is operating the market on the planet". Planets, themselves, are pretty inert things that don't do much of anything. It's the market that the player interacts with. Thus you have places like Agreus, which is a Hegemony planet by description, but the market is independent (Ko Combine). So it is presented as an Independent planet.

Koldo27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 06:07:39 AM »

It's pretty difficult guess how many people were on Opis based off of the refugee crisis it created because we don't know how many people lived on the various worlds of Askonia before the crisis, and we don't know how much of a forewarning there was for refugees to be able to get off the planet, or how long it took for the PK to actually kill the entire planet - both of which would very drastically change the rate of survival.
Even if they had plenty of warning, there would not be much they could have done. Consider: The largest passenger liner available to the sector, the Starliner, holds a measly 1500 people. If the population grows at rate comparable to Earth at about 1% per year, and Opis was a size-8 planet, then anything between 2-15 fully loaded Starliners must leave every day...for the population to not grow at all. The numbers only get sillier if Opis was size 9. I've never quite seen this many Starliners anywhere.

Planetary evacuation is functionally impossible.

1500 is the official number the ship is rated for and mostly just means it has 1500 beds. In an emergency evac situation where the only thing that matters is getting as many people as possible off-world RIGHT THIS INSTANT, you're going to be cramming people into every crew quarter and cargo hold until they physically don't fit anymore.

happycrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2024, 05:36:51 PM »

As a history professor, honestly, the way the Devs approach the narrative is what sold me on the game, and this passage is a literal description of ways the pros work to figure stuff out. <3

the historian says that most of the Sector's population isn't registered or something...

"You wouldn't believe how much of my work is built upon cargo manifests. I have a former student working on Agreus; they send me copies lifted off scrapped memory cores. The real secrets are wiped, of course, but the story is all there, in the lines of onloaded and offloaded cargo compared against the hull mass calculations used by navigation to say nothing of the hyperdrive. History is written in logistics!"

"Take for instance the sheer quantity of food and supplies that 'disappear' on trade routes skimming the edge of the Core Worlds. Statistical sampling suggests that a significant percent of all economic activity in the Persean Sector is 'off the books', and a significant portion of that goes straight toward those who are called 'pirates' as well as the so-called 'decivilized' populations... to say nothing of undocumented populations within the Core itself."

The historian leans close, "The official population census of the Persean Sector could be off by as much as an order of magnitude. It's simply astounding." $HeOrShe smiles, and shaking $hisOrHer head.

happycrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 06:00:29 PM »

(Devs/writers:  homg more of that please also lmk if/how I can help with supplemental writing)

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2024, 08:34:59 PM »

1500 is the official number the ship is rated for and mostly just means it has 1500 beds. In an emergency evac situation where the only thing that matters is getting as many people as possible off-world RIGHT THIS INSTANT, you're going to be cramming people into every crew quarter and cargo hold until they physically don't fit anymore.

More pertinent is the fact that the ambient fleets the player sees are a very small random sample of the fleets that are actually out there. Trade fleets, for example, are picked randomly based on the trade routes that are present. In-system shuttles, super-heavy population transport ships, and similar things just aren't shown.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:40:47 AM »

More pertinent is the fact that the ambient fleets the player sees are a very small random sample of the fleets that are actually out there. Trade fleets, for example, are picked randomly based on the trade routes that are present. In-system shuttles, super-heavy population transport ships, and similar things just aren't shown.

now that you mention it, I think I never saw a typical liner fleet, even though they seem to be programmed in the game. I usually just see Mercantile Convoys. It'd be a weird mechanic if you could rob liners and take a ransom or something.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:25:06 AM »

As a history professor, honestly, the way the Devs approach the narrative is what sold me on the game, and this passage is a literal description of ways the pros work to figure stuff out. <3

(Awesome, yes! This was inspired by reading far too much r/AskHistorians and particularly https://acoup.blog/ :) )
Pages: 1 [2]