Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 642619 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1530 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »

someone should mod in an adjustment to the Paragon's built-in that reduces its bonus to 2x the gain of the next best alternative available to a comparable non-paragon. You can have the Paragon being the game's dedicated long-range artillery cruiser, without it being rediculous
The Paragon has +100% range. The next best is is another Capital with ITU, at +60% range. Your suggestion here is to 'reduce' the Paragon's range bonus from +100% to +120%?

And comparatively, a Paragon has only 25% more range with a given weapon than another capital with ITU installed.

Twice or half, if twice is higher. I didn't actually look at the #s before writing that, 80% would be reasonable. It'd be a mere 20% decrease from what it had, but still 20% better than the best anyone else can get, and free.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 08, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

...and free.

Didn't the Paragon take an OP nerf when when that built-in hullmod was introduced?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »

...and free.

Didn't the Paragon take an OP nerf when when that built-in hullmod was introduced?

Yep, it did. It's just that all ships got extra OP because of skill rebalance so it doesn't seem nerfed at first look.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 08, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »

Can you add a no fighter/carrier mode for 0.81, they are really anti-fun for me. 

Years later and people are still using this word for 'game mechanic I don't like' with no further explanation and expecting it to mean something.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 08, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »

Can you add a no fighter/carrier mode for 0.81, they are really anti-fun for me. 

make that a request in the modding section of the forum & you just might have some luck
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 08, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »

Is there any way to make damaged fighters dock for repairs? Feels strange that you sometimes can't muster your full fighting potential as a carrier captain.
It would be nice if damaged fighters would dock during regroup-inactivity, or if you could force them to dock by holding Z.

Could someone please explain to me what these numbers mean?

Coordinated Maneuvers: X%
+Y% Top Speed (Ship: Z%)

X is the total maximum speed bonus.
Y is the bonus speed your ship gets.
Z is the percent your ship contributes to the total maximum bonus speed. This number is subtracted from the total maximum bonus speed to find the speed bonus that is applied to your ship, as your ship can't benefit from coordinating with itself.

Thank you!

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 08, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »

80% would be reasonable. It'd be a mere 20% decrease from what it had, but still 20% better than the best anyone else can get, and free.
80% sounds fine on paper, but the primary reason that Paragon got this range increase in the first place is that its large profile and very low mobility run counter to the usual high-tech ship focus -- and energy weapons are balanced with that focus on mind. beams aside, energy weapons have significantly shorter range than comparable ballistic assault weapons, because high-tech ships generally have a similarly significant mobility advantage, allowing them to choose where and when to engage enemies of equal size/strength.

Paragon can't do that. its combatstyle is more like that of a semi-station, with great defenses and turret coverage but awful mobility, hence it got a mini-version of the otherwise station-exclusive massive built-in range bonus.

this is also (mostly?) why the ATC does not have a higher-than-normal increase to PD weapons: energy PD is also balanced with the usual high-tech ship focus in mind, and intentionally worse than ballistic PD (generally speaking) in part because the ships that use energy PD are usually much better at just evading missiles strikes. but while Paragon can't do that either, its strong defensive capabilities more than make up for it.

in short: the range bonus wasn't added simply because Paragon was underpowered, but because its combatstyle doesn't mesh well with the usual high-tech combatstyle that energy weapons are designed/balanced around.
25% higher base weapon range compared to other capitals with ITU is really the minimum of what's needed to counteract this. anything less would again allow ballistics-armed ships to easily outrange and outmaneuver Paragon.

(it's also not really "free", as the OP cost is just as built-into the stats as the hullmod itself is.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:27:05 PM by Sy »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 08, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »

Uhh, are swarmers infinite? I just had a single PD freighter frigate wipe my entire hound fleet (new beginnings, cerb + hound (extra credits & goods), sold it all off to buy and salvage every D-hound I could find) with just two swarmers and an autocannon just by kiting, venting and nonstop swarmers, and it occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen swarmers run out when I've seen a swarmer frigate side by side with a rocket wolfe which ran out of its ordnance, and I just thought about it and I'm pretty sure I've lost more ships to infinite swarmers (despite never fighting talons, keep in mind) than to harpoons
I've tested it on my own ship and I don't think they regenerate when I have them but my hound fleet definitely went from full CR to malfunctions against a single frigate and the thing was still putting out swarmers

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »

Swamers have limited ammo, but they've got a lot of ammo. 60 SRMs by default (so 15 volleys).  Twice that with Expanded Missile Racks.  Swamers also deal HE damage, hence why they were able to cut down unshielded frigates.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:06:26 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 08, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »

Is there any way to make damaged fighters dock for repairs? Feels strange that you sometimes can't muster your full fighting potential as a carrier captain.
It would be nice if damaged fighters would dock during regroup-inactivity, or if you could force them to dock by holding Z.

There isn't, no. Feels like it's enough of an edge case where a control for it might be excessive.

@Deshara: Swarmers have limited ammo, yes, except for the fighter version.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 08, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »

Swamers have limited ammo, but they've got a lot of ammo. 60 SRMs by default (so 12 volleys).  Twice that with Expanded Missile Racks.  Swamers also deal HE damage, hence why they were able to cut down unshielded frigates.

it just feels like with 5 flare launches each, 4 hounds should have been able to outlast the darn thing x_x

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 08, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »

With fuel being such an important factor now, I have to ask:What is the reason frigate fuel consumption was unified to 1/ly back at...was it .7? Somehow now I have a hard time justifying shuttles like the Mercury, Hermes or Kite around, which all used to consume 0.5 fuel/ly. Which is a shame, because I like having those cute little ships around.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »

Which is a shame, because I like having those cute little ships around.
yeah, same here. at the smaller ship sizes, i think fuel consumption shouldn't be exactly the same for all ship of a size-class.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 08, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »

Re: Paragon
With hard flux weapons, 700 * 2 = 1400, and 900 * 1.6 = 1350.  Paragon does not outrange typical ballistics users by much.  Beam Paragon can get 2200 (1000 * 2 + 200 from Advanced Optics), but that is stopped by shields (barring arcs from Ion Beam/Tachyon Lance).  It can use HVD for 2000 range.  Ballistic users that need that much range can use Gauss for 1,920 (1200 * 1.6).

I tried four autopulse lasers with Paragon, and it felt little different than Onslaught with better shields and no burn drive.  Only when I use beams, backed by HVDs, does Paragon feel like a sniper and unique.

I wish there were more smaller sniper ships.  Maybe a new relatively slow ship with a tricky siege mode system?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:40:52 PM by Megas »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 08, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

Which is a shame, because I like having those cute little ships around.
yeah, same here. at the smaller ship sizes, i think fuel consumption shouldn't be exactly the same for all ship of a size-class.

Agreed, now I think about it. I mean, to clarify, fuel consumption isn't the same for all ships in a size class (cough cough Dominator cough) but the Hermes and Mercury do often feel kinda useless. If their fuel usages were toned down somewhat, I'd be much more willing to have them in my early-game fleets.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 116