Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 641162 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1140 on: April 23, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Increases fuel cost, which is a multiplicative based on the length of your haul and disproportionately affects survey fleets
that doesn't do anything to discourage the 2nd issue i mentioned though. makes it even worse, actually, as you're further encouraged to avoid having the hullmod on your ships while traveling through hyperspace.

But that only works if you can survey the planet in the first place.  You can only get +25% from ships (right?), which is a drop in the bucket compared to 75+% many planets demand.
the hullmod doesn't increase survey ability, it only reduces cost by a flat amount.

you're probably confusing it with the Salvage Gantry hullmod, which also only increases loot gained, not ability to survey something in the first place, but it is capped at whatever rating your target has. so a derelict with a difficulty rating of 25% can't benefit from more than 25% total increase in loot from the hullmod.

It's not a cost at all if you're already dragging around a civilian ship anyway. If you're minmaxer then you're not, and adding five shuttles to your fleet just to make scanning cheaper makes hyperspace cost more fuel. Which is enough inherent balance for me to declare a mod balanced
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 23, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

@ Sy: I know about supply and heavy machinery discounts, but that only helps me if I can scan the planets in the first place.  If I have 25% or less due to no points in surveying, then the aforementioned discounts are irrelevant.  If I max Surveying, then sure, that will be great to make scanning almost free.  I have no points in Surveying (because I do not want to waste skill points on easy paychecks).

I have already seen what surveying does.  If I get so impatient with grinding for cash, I will load the game in devmode and cheat more cash in instead of wasting skill points for it.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 23, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »

Fair enough, if you aren't surveying/salvaging then obviously you ain't gonna have multiple tankers/freighters which are needed to do those jobs effectively.

A single habitat station can have several hundred units of food/volatiles/organics/supplies and of course the asston of metal you end up with (sell that metal at Chicomoztoc!). I've found that around 1500-2000 cargo capacity is needed to clear out some of the more bountiful systems and it's really nice to have a hullmod that can be put on the necessary civilian ships to support that high of a cargo capacity!

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 23, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »

Survey Equipment is in a good place; it's a useful bonus to hand out to the noncombat ships your fleet will be dragging along anyways, but you do have to make fitting compromises with other utility hullmods that would be attractive for noncombat ships (like the aforementioned unstable injectors for the times you have to run away) and you're definitely not going to bring along a stack of superfluous survey shuttles because their fuel consumption would vastly outweigh anything they might save you in supplies.  As-is a midsized exploration fleet will already have enough support ships to drop most planets down to the minimum survey cost, so trying to munchkin a bunch of survey dorks on top of that would just be *** away fuel for no benefit aside from the odd gas giant.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »

I had strange bug recently.
Scavenger fleet was shown red and when I attacked them they were marked as pirates.
But I reload and let them go do their buisness and when I trun my drive on they chase me demand transponder on and when I agree then greet me as independent.
So I go look for a derelict and they find me again and these time were on red and aggressive and attack me as pirates.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »

I had strange bug recently.
Scavenger fleet was shown red and when I attacked them they were marked as pirates.
But I reload and let them go do their buisness and when I trun my drive on they chase me demand transponder on and when I agree then greet me as independent.
So I go look for a derelict and they find me again and these time were on red and aggressive and attack me as pirates.

Thanks! This was reported the other day and is fixed for the next release.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:01 PM »

Survey equipment on colossus freighter makes venture totally unneeded. Venture got OP of an destroyer slow speed small cargo hold and ONE mining wing. It is like bad destroyer with cost higher than eagle cruiser and insane fuel consumption.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 24, 2017, 01:05:49 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
Does changing maximum damage reduction in setting file to 1 breaks the game or just makes this skill less useful?

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:18 AM »

are any more hotfixes being worked on?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 24, 2017, 03:07:42 AM »

Alex now works on 0.8.1 version, so we're gonna wait a little longer for fixes (and possibly balance changes).

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »

Are there technical or gameplay reasons that stabilized cargo pods only stay that way for 100 days? I'd love to put down permanent emergency stashes in far away systems, for when I get in trouble later. Which, inevitably, will happen :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 24, 2017, 04:52:10 AM »

Are there technical or gameplay reasons that stabilized cargo pods only stay that way for 100 days? I'd love to put down permanent emergency stashes in far away systems, for when I get in trouble later. Which, inevitably, will happen :)

You go back to it, only to find that bunch or [redacted] drones have found it and are harvesting your supplies? :) I'd be down for that.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »

Seems the AI is ignoring some high damage attacks and leaving it's shields down when it has the flux to keep it up.

For example, I recently found an Apogee (never used them before) and was playing with different loadouts in the combat simulator.  I sent it against the two Sunder's on the opponents roster.

Things were ok for a while, but then while my AI controlled Apogee focused on one Sunder (the Autopulse laser version); the AI thought to drop the shields, ignoring the other Sunder with the High intensity laser frying my left flank.

It was almost like the second Sunder wasn't there; and the damage didn't register with my AI controlled Apogee (it didn't try to turn to avoid further damage in that region).  I was under half flux at the time, so there was no reason to drop the shields then.

I've noticed strange behaviour like this elsewhere with different ships.  For example in a real battle, I found my Tempest ignoring the huge damage being done to it by another ship to focus on something else.

I also tried the Aurora earlier on today and found similar behaviour with the AI dropping the shields at reasonably low flux levels and taking heavy damage that could of been avoided by leaving the shields up.  

You can see this pretty easily, just loadout another Aurora yourself and start the combat simulator selecting the Aurora on the opponents roster.  In this case the shield was being switched off with a solitary opponent and as a result, quite a few shots from the Heavy blaster get absorbed by the hull that could of easily been absorbed by the shield.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that there was no officer on board (ie the slot was empty, just the normal AI)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:28:40 AM by Baqar79 »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »

Aurora's Strike variant uses a small PD Laser in the rearward medium mount, which shouldn't be possible anymore, with it now being synergy. using that little PDL instead of a Heavy Burst is also the only thing distinguishing it from the Fire Support variant, so one of those should probably just be removed.

could replace it with some new variant that uses the new synergy mount for a missile. like a proper support variant:

You go back to it, only to find that bunch or [redacted] drones have found it and are harvesting your supplies? :) I'd be down for that.
would be a shame if someone had strapped a few Reapers to that "emergency stash". :3

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »

Things were ok for a while, but then while my AI controlled Apogee focused on one Sunder (the Autopulse laser version); the AI thought to drop the shields, ignoring the other Sunder with the High intensity laser frying my left flank.

It was almost like the second Sunder wasn't there; and the damage didn't register with my AI controlled Apogee (it didn't try to turn to avoid further damage in that region).  I was under half flux at the time, so there was no reason to drop the shields then.
Yeah, it looks like the AI doesn't recognize that an un-shielded HIL is actually dangerous - I'm guessing this is the code that prevents the AI from getting locked into shields-up by one tactical laser that doesn't properly distinguish between a tactical laser and an HIL... but who knows, it could be something else entirely.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116