Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639392 times)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #870 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »

Two decks on Odyssey sounds reasonable.

The decision to make Advanced Optics built-in for the Astral is sound, but... what if I wanted to build a non-beam Astral? As stupid as that sounds. :-X

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »

Edit: All is good made a new game and skipped tutorial, :D Awesome update btw

That only works if you haven't deleted your previous saves, apparently. :/
Yes, it would be nice if the tutorial is optional from the start.  That is like forcing Easy difficulty on you until you have a save to unlock it.  Reminds me of the Hardcore unlock in Diablo 2, which I think Blizzard eventually abolished.

Two decks on Odyssey sounds reasonable.

The decision to make Advanced Optics built-in for the Astral is sound, but... what if I wanted to build a non-beam Astral? As stupid as that sounds. :-X
I only use beams as PD on Astral.  I favor three heavy blasters on Astral, and possibly leaving missiles empty if I do not have enough OP for blasters and PD beams.  Works out to be a slower and fatter Odyssey with more flight decks.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »

By the way, do randomly-generated systems ever have markets? All I've encountered are lifeless systems, except for the one with REDACTED and the occasional bounty fleet.

I came across a lifeless planet with a market. :D
Had nothing on it to sell tho, so that's probably not what you were asking for..... and should probably be reported as a bug  ::)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx5ddqokfgzgcjc/screenshot097.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfc6xdbpnmzwt3c/screenshot098.png?raw=1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:14:14 AM by TJJ »

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »

Loving the new release so far. I just had a salvage opportunity that was way to good to pass up on:
http://imgur.com/a/6Pjhq a fully outfitted and undamaged Legion. I guess the crew of that ship died of hunger or something. I'm not complaining, my firepower just doubled with that thing ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »

Was there any rating required to get that free Legion?

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 21, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

Was there any rating required to get that free Legion?

Not as far as I remember, I did not really look for that honestly. I was too busy going "holy ***!" :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »

Hotfix is up - grab it here. Full list of bugfixes in OP.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 21, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »

Should I restart (not quite finished campaign tutorial quite yet), or are the changes minor enough that I can proceed with saved game without problems?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 21, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »

Should be no problems to proceed w/ current save.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »

Gotta say, about 5 hours in so far and this is unbelievable. Just found an officer on a derelict ship that had precisely the stats I was looking for to find a recovered Scarab(!) just floating around. The exploration/salvage mechanics have been wonderful because every time I'm out trying to survey something and running dangerously low on supplies/fuel, I end up finding a debris field or ship graveyard to pillage and keep on rolling. Bravo, sir.

I have not run across one yet but I'm hoping to find an active Comm Relay out in the remote regions because I've missed a few bounties (when I was in the system!) because I had no idea they were there. As bounty fleets are spawning "out there," if you are "out there," you never receive any messages. Not a big deal but annoying nonetheless.

Finally, I think it's been mentioned but I just went to a Tri-Tach world with 5 officers available and 4/5 had a carrier-based skills on them. Confirmation bias and all but it seems there is disproportionate weight on those skills.

Skills are also feeling pretty good but I have to admit I'd gotten used to the speed of .7 and .8 feels "slow" now. I'm still trying to figure out which skills I want because so many are good. I will say using a point to "advance a tree up" never feels all that satisfying, though I know it's a long-term gain. Even a token boost to some minor stat would give me less buyer's remorse.

Overall, great job and it's quite fun!

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

Been only playing the new version for a short while and so far I'm really impressed. The game is coming along so nicely Alex  ;D

Some small bits of feedback:
  • It would be nice if asteroids belts (not sure if this applies to other terrain types too) reduced detection range of fleets in movement based on fleet composition and size.
  • When leaving stations or planets, etc, it would be nice if our fleet wasn't given an initial velocity. During the tutorial, I sneaked into the pirate mining station successfully but when I left, my fleet was pushed directly at the nearby pirates and I was detected.
  • Detection ranges / sensor ranges: I understand what the numbers mean, but I find the system unreliable. With the pirate mining base example, I had no idea how close I could be from the pirate fleet before being detected. I'm guessing this is intentional to make the system feel organic / exciting / etc.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »

i just noticed Venture also has only a single fighter bay, with built-in Mining Pod wing. that seems really weak, even for a semi-civilian ship. i do like the Mining Pod(s) being built-in, but i don't think having two of those wings would be over the top at all. a single built-in Mining Pod wing actually seems worse than just getting a makeshift but customizable fighter bay through the hullmod. :/

also, i'd like if Mining Pods were a decent zero-OP alternative to Talons, at least sometimes, but from looking at their stats i doubt they can be. if they had more armor and/or hull, they might at least work as a decent distraction/screen, and i think awful firepower coupled with durability that lets them take a few asteroid hits would still fit their mining-drone theme.

if you wanna keep Mining Pods as clear trash-tier, some other zero-OP alternative would be nice (that's assuming there isn't one already, i haven't discovered all the fighters yet ^^). Talons are great as super-fast glasscannons, so having something with either a defensive/support focus or a bit of strike capability would allow for more variety on loadouts that don't have much/any OP to spare for fighters.

disclaimer: i've not really had time to test balance stuff myself yet, the above is just what i think from looking at the stats.

thanks! :]

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »

The mission generation seems heavily tilted toward survey and scouting. I frequently see worlds with eight or ten missions, and only one of them will be cargo.

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »

I dig this update. You're putting some 10+ man teams to shame with this pace of content.

Ubik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »

I've run into a problem to finish a delivery mission...

Picked up a delivery contract in Asher in the Canaan system to deliver freight to Gilead in the same system.
When I reached Gilead all i could select was "Leave", there was no text for the planet info present.

I was shortly afterwards controlled by a Luddic fleet, retried after that, same result. I've also left the system and jumped back in, still only "Leave" available.

Right before I picked up the mission at Asher I visited Gilead and I was able to interact with normally.

Any idea what might cause the problem?

Edit: this was with RC 17, I've reloaded the save under RC 18 with the same result.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116