Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639161 times)

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #780 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »

Am I correct in assuming that Planet Survey is not one of the few more lucrative endeavors for the player, aside from Pirate Bountying?

The resale on D-Proc ships is abysmal

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 20, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »

Planet Survey can create various classes of Survey Data—the best class data sells for TONS.

You're totally not meant to sell salvaged ships, at all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 20, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »

Am I correct in assuming that Planet Survey is not one of the few more lucrative endeavors for the player, aside from Pirate Bountying?

It's pretty lucrative, actually. You just have to get the skill and some ships with surveying equipment to minimize the expense. The high-class survey data is extremely valuable. There are also well-paying missions to survey specific planets.

The resale on D-Proc ships is abysmal

Yeep. So as you're not obligated to tow any ol' hulk along and sell it - the resources you get by breaking it down on the spot more than cover the resale value.

Edit: pretty much comprehensively ninja'ed :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

Mh, I can supposedly salvage stuff with a rating up to 25%, but I have 0 salvage skill. Salvage skill 1 is supposed to allow me to salvage stuff with 25% rating.

Spoiler

[close]

Something to consider with "lay in course" from the map - for things that got no info option (fleets etc.) it's always the first option, so it happens with a simple click and is thus inconsistent with how it works for planets.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 20, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »

Whoo! Best surprise to come home to work to, the updates released!
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »

Mh, I can supposedly salvage stuff with a rating up to 25%, but I have 0 salvage skill. Salvage skill 1 is supposed to allow me to salvage stuff with 25% rating.

Spoiler

[close]

Possible to get your save? Or have you moved on from that point?

Assuming it's the probe from the tutorial, I'm not seeing the same thing.

Edit: ahh, I got it. Apparently spending/unspending a point in Salvaging does this. Looking into it!

Edit #2: Fixed!

Something to consider with "lay in course" from the map - for things that got no info option (fleets etc.) it's always the first option, so it happens with a simple click and is thus inconsistent with how it works for planets.

Yeah, will look at this for sure.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:27:25 PM by Alex »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 20, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »

Will saves created right now be compatible with the upcoming hotfix or should I wait? Abouts do you think you'll get that hotfix out—later tonight or tomorrow?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »

Will saves created right now be compatible with the upcoming hotfix or should I wait? Abouts do you think you'll get that hotfix out—later tonight or tomorrow?

They *should* be compatible and I'll make every effort so that they are, but it's possible for a hypothetical issue to come up that would make it not so.

About the timing: not today, probably tomorrow or the day after. Unless there's a major crash bug that needs fixing ASAP.

(Oh, wow, this is freaky: exactly as I was typing "crash bug" here, Starsector - which was running in the background - crashed. Thankfully, due to a bug from the skill issue fix, so not something in the release. Still, weird!)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »

I found my key, and Starsector with 64-bit Java (with 4 Mb allocated) runs fine for me now.

I studied the Codex for a while before beginning my new game.

I noticed some portraits were touched up.  Noticed Ryu (upper-left Hegemony officer left of Doomguy) is different.  Same thing with the one guy who used to have boatlight glasses, now they are all green.  My first character is Doomguy.  (Maybe later, I'll pick power ranger or other spaceman or ninja portraits.)

I took the Wolf starter with Shepherd, though I may leave it behind soon since it is -1 burn for my Wolf.  If Kite had the same burn as Wolf, but not Shepherd, I would have taken the Kite.  With burn speeds equal, Shepherd won out due to cargo space and other salvaging bonuses, not to mention as was in no mood start-scumming if I did not like the officer's portrait and/or name.

I will probably prioritize speed, shot range, flux, and maybe OP for skills, which there are not too many of.  I will probably complete ignore fighter skills.  Other things like more officers and loot stuff looks promising, but I will think about it later after I see how many skill points I have left to get what I really want.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »

It just dawned on me after looking at the REDACTED Battle Carrier, that with the new fighter skills you added, 4 I believe.

Would turn that thing into an absurd monster of a Flagship. Good lord.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

Not really a bug, but might turn out to be an issue: When you go through the combat tutorial, and destroy a ship, it's disabled wreckage pieces float about, and can get in the way when everything is reset/moved onto the next part.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »

Edit #2: Fixed!

:thumbsup.jpg:

I'm enjoying the tutorial immensely, so far :)

I don't think this description is fitting for Tetra, an uninhabited, radiated planet without atmosphere:
Spoiler
[close]
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »

Not really a bug, but might turn out to be an issue: When you go through the combat tutorial, and destroy a ship, it's disabled wreckage pieces float about, and can get in the way when everything is reset/moved onto the next part.

Bah, that just adds character :)

I don't think this description is fitting for Tetra, an uninhabited, radiated planet without atmosphere:
Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, I need to fix that up - the button's supposed to be disabled.

... there, done.

I'm enjoying the tutorial immensely, so far :)

:D

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »

I'm losing CR despite there being no enemy ships anywhere near me.

Spoiler

[close]

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 20, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »

This is amazing. Just started the tutorial, really nice so far.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116