Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639321 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #630 on: April 13, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »

My idea for overcomplicating it:
Fleet profile = (profile of 5 highest ships) + sqrt(profile of other ships)

This is identical to the new system for small fleets, while adding diminishing returns for additional ships. So they still matter somewhat (and people don't wonder why they don't) without making the fleet stat grow to excessive levels.

Hehe, yeah. I mean, I get what you're saying, but it definitely doesn't seem necessary.

What I want to know is if there are some special weapons or ships that can only be acquired through exploration and/or salvaging! Did you have the time/resources to add something awesome like that?

I guess you'll just have to go exploring when the release hits, and find out :)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »

I think the debate over why sensors are the same across 3 different tech ships of the same size can be put down by re-iterating that a ship's tech does not translate to when it was made relative to the others, and hand-wave that even low-tech ships saw the need for advanced sensors & made the sacrifices they needed to make to secure the same sensor suites as everyone else had, for their size
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 13, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »

Yeah, it's even said in the lore (specifically the codex description of the Doom Phase Crusier) something along the lines of "Phase detection equipments are now a mandatory component of any ship's sensory package."

... If that doesn't scream "Low tech and high tech have the same access to sensor tech", then I don't know what does.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »

Or maybe there have been significant improvements in sensor technology, but they're been retrofitted into previous hulls, much like the Onslaught's shield generator.
That can work too.  Simple enough upgrade the old hulls with the new tech (if it isn't too big a jump) and then updating the autofactory blueprints with the improved sensor systems.  I'm sure a military as large as the Domain kept older models of ship in service or possibly in production due to simplicity, as shown by the XIV upgraded ships despite there probably existing the high-tech ships at the time.  Pretty much exactly like how modern militaries today do it - they kept WWII-era battleships like the USS New Jersey in service far past their original expiry date by upgrading the radar and replacing various weapons systems.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:32:10 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 14, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »

There's nothing that military loves more than modernizations, basically "we can make old rustbucked kill enemy's new thingy for a fraction of its price" (for example, look how extensively tanks are being upgraded instead of replaced). It's reasonable that sensors would be quickly replaced if they became outdated, along with targeting systems, so they aren't completely left in the dust.
@PCCL well, for one thing, it won't be aliens if I recall correctly. Alex said there wouldn't be any. So I guess DoM's experiments gone wrong.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 14, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Finally, a real purpose for auxiliary ships! I can't remember the last time I had a tanker in my fleet, and freighters were only relevant for traders. Very nice.
Tankers are occasionally useful when the commodity you want to trade lots of fuel, or just simply hauling lots of fuel from Sindria to whatever system has your primary storage base.  Freighters are useful mainly for two things:  bulk transport jobs (e.g., transport thousands of lobsters) or looting.  My warmongers need freighters the most, looting either from chain-battling multiple enemy defense fleets or intercepting a lucky Atlas fleet.  One time, I intercepted an Atlas fleet with 5000 or so supplies, and my toolbox war fleet happened to have two or three empty Atlas of my own to loot everything.  It was a huge payday, and I did not need to buy supplies for a long time.

Honest traders do not need much cargo space unless they find a job on the job board that needs thousands of something.  It does not take much to stabilize markets that have a shortage.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 14, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »

Really happy to see the supply/fuel changes! Reducing capacity across combat ships will make things interesting too.

I hope in the future there can be a couple new combat scenarios based around utility ships. I would love a way to "attack the supply lines" of an enemy fleet and snipe their fuel tankers or take out their salvage operation before they can respond in force. Essentially some kind of scenario where you are forced to deploy or you force the enemy to deploy utility ships in combat. Makes the decision of outfitting them and which ones to have with you more important and gives a little more use to their decorations weapons. :D

Otherwise we will be using them in our fleets but never actually seeing them lol

And because I can't make a post on this forum without asking about modding:

So, 1-10 how moddable is that tutorial right now?  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »

Otherwise we will be using them in our fleets but never actually seeing them lol

There are some support hullmods - based on Coordinated Maneuvers and Electronic Warfare - that can potentially make support ships worth deploying. (And tucking away in a corner, but still.)

And because I can't make a post on this forum without asking about modding:

So, 1-10 how moddable is that tutorial right now?  ;D

The campaign tutorial? 10, I'd say. Unless I'm forgetting something, 100% of it is done in a "how a mod would do it" way. Which necessitated a few additions to the API, but then that's kind of the point of doing it like that to begin with!

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 14, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

@PCCL well, for one thing, it won't be aliens if I recall correctly. Alex said there wouldn't be any. So I guess DoM's experiments gone wrong.

Skynet confirmed.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

The campaign tutorial? 10, I'd say. Unless I'm forgetting something, 100% of it is done in a "how a mod would do it" way. Which necessitated a few additions to the API, but then that's kind of the point of doing it like that to begin with!

https://goo.gl/images/kQm6p5

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »

@Jonlissla Funnily enough it's quite probable - what megacorporation is in the sector and is known to have partake in development in borderline illegal AI? LUDDICHURCH OBVIOUSLY
That, or it's just Alex trolling us. Or something else, there's a ton of dark secrets to put in derelicts.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 14, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »

@Jonlissla Funnily enough it's quite probable - what megacorporation is in the sector and is known to have partake in development in borderline illegal AI? LUDDICHURCH OBVIOUSLY
That, or it's just Alex trolling us. Or something else, there's a ton of dark secrets to put in derelicts.
HERETIC! Burn in the fires of LUDD!

Jk, that's for the Imperium of man to handle.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 14, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

awesome. Can't wait, 0.8 feels so close now!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 14, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »

modding related question: How easy/difficult would it be to seed manned stations/inhabited planets operated by factions in the outer worlds? Is it much the same way REDACTED are seeded into the outer worlds? Or would there be more nuance to it?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 14, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »

modding related question: How easy/difficult would it be to seed manned stations/inhabited planets operated by factions in the outer worlds? Is it much the same way REDACTED are seeded into the outer worlds? Or would there be more nuance to it?

Not very complicated, but probably not a good idea to add more than a few for performance reasons. The economy gets creaky if you add a bunch of markets to it. It should be alright if mods add a few faction homeworlds here and there, but it would very much *not* be alright if a mod decided to add, say, 50-100 markets in the procgen area. And even if it was somewhat more restrained, it probably wouldn't coexist well when run alongside a bunch of other mods.

On the other hand, it's not too difficult to add a market to a world without hooking it up to the economy, and just using a script to fake up its supply/demand/stockpile data.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116