Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639255 times)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #420 on: March 25, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY APOGEE????

but ma sensors

my range

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »

IIRC I forced it to split into 15 pieces in one go. It's capital-sized, but the shot is zoomed out quite a bit, so that's probably not much help.
Actually, that's a bit rude. :P Also; there's 22 pieces.

Weeell... of the pieces you've got in the latest image, nothing appears to be angled quite right.
I'm building it with whatever angles are present with the pieces - mainly because it blurs pretty hardcore if I rotate it, so it benefits the eyes in finding the underlying texture similarities if I can keep myself from rotating every piece.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »

I'm building it with whatever angles are present with the pieces - mainly because it blurs pretty hardcore if I rotate it, so it benefits the eyes in finding the underlying texture similarities if I can keep myself from rotating every piece.

What I mean is, the bigger reassembled pieces are not aligned right relative to each other.

It's fiiiiine.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

There are a couple pieces I'm finding must go together - there's a clear engine section and some other connected pieces with distinctive underlying textures.  And something else I just realized, we're mainly working with the bounded zone of the Legion, since that's where the destroyed texture extends to when the sprite doesn't reach the edge.  You'd expect there to be more clear, straight edges - but I just can't see any.

I now have 2 rather large chunks that pretty much belong welded together, but then there's the rest of the tiny bits floating around where they're too blurred to make out any textures or colors and the edges are rounded due to the resolution, so I can't really place them anywhere.  Maybe if I just weld them there, it'll hold repressurization...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:22:15 PM by The Soldier »
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »

but ma sensors

my range

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Apogee did took a massive hit, didn't it?
Though lorewise it's not really combat-centered(although certainly capable) ship. So that's...probably okay. I'd still use it.

There are a couple pieces I'm finding must go together - there's a clear engine section and some other connected pieces with distinctive underlying textures.  And something else I just realized, we're mainly working with the bounded zone of the Legion, since that's where the destroyed texture extends to when the sprite doesn't reach the edge.  You'd expect there to be more clear, straight edges - but I just can't see any.

I now have 2 rather large chunks that pretty much belong welded together, but then there's the rest of the tiny bits floating around where they're too blurred to make out any textures or colors and the edges are rounded due to the resolution, so I can't really place them anywhere.  Maybe if I just weld them there, it'll hold repressurization...

Hmm, can I see it?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:41:30 PM by Aron0621 »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iivkc7fazfde6t9/legion.psd?dl=0
Welding around 80% complete.

The bottom chunk is clearly the engine, the largest chunk belongs somewhere above but I can't connect it yet. 

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »

Guys, let's slow down here.  Alex is finding this a bit too amusing, and we're setting a dangerous precedent for future updates by feeding into it this hard.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

Guys, let's slow down here.  Alex is finding this a bit too amusing, and we're setting a dangerous precedent for future updates by feeding into it this hard.
I for one rather enjoy this challenge. :) Can't have everything just given to us on a silver platter, anyways - exploration is now in the game, we gotta search for our goodies next patch.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #428 on: March 25, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

Is there a codex explanation for why the Storm Needler will be the only instance of a family of related weapons where range decreases with size?

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 25, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »

Since there's not too much information in the texture of the pieces, it might be good to use a edge detection algorithm to separate the shapes from the starfield. Also, The Soldier, some of the pieces attached to your largest chunk look wrong to me. Notably, the two small pieces in the top right and the three pieces in the bottom left.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
I'm close to something.

EDIT:
Spoiler

I'm fairly sure I welded everything right...might not. let me know if I missed something. If I did, this gives me 4 pieces that I cannot assemble together...
[close]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:09:06 AM by Aron0621 »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 26, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »

They're in the game, along with some new fighters, too.
Kopesh and Claw, right? any word on what weapons the Claw will have?

oh and something else i just thought of: will the Venture get burn 8 now that even battlecruisers do? i know it will become a more dedicated industrial ship, which i really like, but being limited to 7 max burn just from having a single Venture seems like a bad idea for fleets specializing in surveying and/or mining operations far from the core worlds.

it kinda needed the combat nerf, but it will now finally become the exploration vessel it was always meant to be! :]

I'm fairly sure I welded everything right...might not. let me know if I missed something. If I did, this gives me 4 pieces that I cannot assemble together...
keep in mind that a few pieces are missing, so there should probably be some holes in it somewhere.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »

I'm aware. Still, I can't make a ship out of these...

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »

hmm. do you think it would help if we chopped up some old Hounds and put their pieces anywhere they seem to fit(ish)?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »

There used to be a flux overcharge for higher energy-dps at higher flux levels. Maybe bring it back as a hullmod.
There was, but all the energy weapons were weaker too.  Pulse lasers were garbage, and beams had higher OP cost and less range.  However, mining blaster was very good back then, good enough to compete with heavy blaster even if a bit worse overall.  The damage increase make both pulse lasers and heavy blaster useful (but still not enough to compete with ballistics, except heavy blaster when combined with vent spam, which we will not be able to do anymore).  Mining blaster did not get enough of a damage increase, while still keeping exorbitant flux cost.  Right now, it is only good as fringe shield overload build for Sunder or AM blaster replacement for Hyperion.  Beams got cheaper and more range (except Phase Lance, which lost range).

The only thing I might miss from flux supercharge is the weapons glowing as flux accumulated.  It could be interesting if all energy weapons got EMP or minor shield piercing from flux supercharge.  Not sure it will be enough to make it worth HUD clutter.  Less HUD clutter was the best benefit of flux supercharge removal.  Better baseline stats for most energy weapons are good too.

While on the subject of energy weapons, one big advantage they had over ballistics long time ago was unlimited ammo, while ballistics had limited ammo.  Sure ballistics were still better than energy, but only when they had ammo.  Once ballistics ran out, the ship cannot fight or PD anymore.  When ballistics got magazines, energy was still often better or at least competitive because they had a DPS advantage over ballistics.  Most ballistics then had small magazines akin to autopulse or TPCs, and were effectively half DPS in prolonged battles.  (For me, all important late-game battles are prolonged.)  Since ballistics gained unlimited ammo, they are just flat-out better than most energy weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116