Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639398 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »

mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »

Oh, that's just evil Alex.  Time to break out Photoshop and weld this thing back together so I can board it!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »

i'm literally™ dying right now.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

While the ships breaking apart is cool and a worthwhile addition, it does make me wonder just how many missiles (especially Pilums) will meet their futile end colliding with chunks of wreaked spaceships.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »

Yes, it's a bit strange how high-tech weapons are mostly inferior to "crude" ballistics. Makes you wonder why did the Domain switched in the first place. But maybe we Sector savages are just missing something important about them.
Maybe there isn't room for enough crew to service the more maintenance-intensive low-tech gear.

Honestly, this would make a ton of sense if high-tech ships tended to have lower maintenance and deployment costs than low-tech ships; I could easily see a paradigm shift where a peacetime military force was less concerned with "Does this blow holes in things?" and more concerned with "But what does this do to my budget?"
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »

I hate you

Thank you :)

Maybe there isn't room for enough crew to service the more maintenance-intensive low-tech gear.

Honestly, this would make a ton of sense if high-tech ships tended to have lower maintenance and deployment costs than low-tech ships;

The way I see it myself - and iirc it's mentioned in a few of the descriptions - is the high-tech ships have a lot more automation.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »

Aha! So in the Domain crew worked for wages, rather than being bought up front from their current owners. Inefficient.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2017, 02:06:41 PM »

While the ships breaking apart is cool and a worthwhile addition, it does make me wonder just how many missiles (especially Pilums) will meet their futile end colliding with chunks of wreaked spaceships.
yeah.. i honestly think guided missiles shouldn't collide with husks, debris and asteroids (or even instead try to maneuver around them, if that's preferable). it just feels bad when a weapon you can't really aim yourself loses a potentially large part of its effectiveness more or less randomly, even without battleship-sized debris obstructing line of sight. 1 or 2 Hurricanes going into an asteroid rather than the target is a big deal.

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »

I may be being very silly, but Alex what ship is in your twitter profile pic? Pls help me understand - is it related to this patch  :-[

EDIT: Also Alex I love you, just a bit too much.
Using an Astral with 6 Khopesh wings coz I'm that basic B)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »

The profile pic is pretty old - it's the original Conquest.

yeah.. i honestly think guided missiles shouldn't collide with husks, debris and asteroids (or even instead try to maneuver around them, if that's preferable). it just feels bad when a weapon you can't really aim yourself loses a potentially large part of its effectiveness more or less randomly, even without battleship-sized debris obstructing line of sight. 1 or 2 Hurricanes going into an asteroid rather than the target is a big deal.

Hmm - for Pilums, you're rarely relying on a specific one to hit, so it's not as big a deal. For other missiles, their trajectories are predictable to a point, and minimizing the risk of them running into asteroids or debris is part of the skill involved in using them. I think it's actually pretty important.

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

The profile pic is pretty old - it's the original Conquest.

Thank you :D

EDIT: Could you explain the situation with Maxios and Killa? If we can't trade with them, then what purpose do they serve? :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:32:38 PM by TheEndstoneGolem »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »

EDIT: Could you explain the situation with Maxios and Killa? If we can't trade with them, then what purpose do they serve? :)

A grim reminder.

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »

A grim reminder.

You just created another question xD. Is that to remind players that this is what happens to markets when they're left untouched, or is this more of a lore-based accessory to the game ;D ???

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »

The latter option.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

I remember some discussion with David (I think) mentioning that Low Tech didn't always translated by Older. All doctrines existed at the same time even if different era put the accent on different tech. A bit like how the Soyuz and the Shuttles were created roughly at the same period but clearly not with the same level of technicality (and look who's still there). Or even nowadays planes: You still have propeller planes being developed because it's cheaper and easier to build.

So the lack of high tech carriers could be explained by low/mid tech ones being developed at the same time and performing better?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 116